Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking about a Model Y - some Q’s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

easyev

Supporting Member
Jul 29, 2023
Toronto
Guys thinking about getting a model Y for my wife and son’s use. I would like to go used as Tesla is offering me peanuts for trade-ins.

so I’m thinking long range all wheel drive
Maybe the performance model if it’s not much more

I’m really surprised at how close used is to brand new. Should I just sell her car privately and go new? She’s got a Lexus hybrid and they seem pretty hot right now.

Any other considerations? It makes it pretty easy as there’s not a lot of options on these things. Are the performance brakes much better?

I like the style on the 21 wheels but I like the price in the range on the 19th so leaning in that direction… I just wish they looked a little nicer.

If I had a choice, I would do the white interior.
She likes white exterior, I like gray, white and red 😍

Can you get the performance boost on the long range anymore or did they remove that?

Thanks for your time and thoughts.

I would like to go used as Tesla is offering me peanuts for trade-ins.
Sell privately for best value.
Are the performance brakes much better?
IMO no.
I like the style on the 21 wheels but I like the price in the range on the 19th so leaning in that direction… I just wish they looked a little nicer.
You can take hubcaps off, alloys underneath look decent (IMO).
Can you get the performance boost on the long range anymore or did they remove that?
Yep, 2k USD I believe.

Another thing to consider is the performance model has a staggered wheel setup (rears are larger than fronts) so you cannot rotate tires. I prefer a squared setup that allows for tire rotation to get more use out of a set.

• Informative
Reactions: KerryOH and easyev
I had these same thoughts - funny enough, there’s no place left to sell privately?! Autotrader is dealer only and Craigslist isn’t the place. Where do folks sell privately now? Facebook?

Sorry for off topic but what a situation to be in. Trade or Carvana, etc. I feel that’s driving the value of used down.

Reactions: easyev
Sell your car on Facebook and buy new from Tesla.

Tesla continuously evolves. 2020 Model Y and 2023 Model Y are very different model Y's actually, even if they look the same outside and inside.
If you go with 2020 vs 2023 you ll have:
- slower infotainment system processor Intel Atom versus much faster AMD
- not compatible with CCS adapters, in case you want to use other DC fast chargers with adapters
- HW3 generation of FSD computers, vs HW4 in 2023 model (just recently though)
- lead-acid 12V low voltage battery vs li-ion low voltage battery that does not need maintenance
- build quality of 2020 models overall lower than 2022 or 2023
- if you go with Performance model, 2023 performance ride quality significantly improved compared to 2020, 2021 and some 2022 models

Reactions: sfRonH
First, you want a performance boost for your son ? hahaha. I wouldn't let my kids anywhere near that.

Second, between Carmax, Carvana, and KBB you have some decent options. I sold my 1st model 3 through KBB - 3 dealers contacted me and each offered good money. I have also sold to Carvana, it was way better than Craigslist, which I have only used for low cost first driver cars and visiting postdocs.

Third, don't forget the tax credict which you forgo on any newish used Tesla.

You can get performance boost for free if you refer one of your friends to buy a Tesla after you get yours. Please use someone's referral link before you order your car so they can get free boost. You also get a reward for using a referral.

The tires that come with the performance model are not suitable for winter in Canada. I got aftermarket black wheel covers for my LR Model Y and IMO they look terrific. Much better than the stock aero covers and better than the stock wheels without covers.

The white interior is very nice and cleans up well. The Model Y is the best selling car in the world. I recommend getting an exterior color other than white. In the US grey is free so for me that would be a no-brainer. OTOH, happy wife, happy life.

Sell your car on Facebook and buy new from Tesla.

Tesla continuously evolves. 2020 Model Y and 2023 Model Y are very different model Y's actually, even if they look the same outside and inside.
If you go with 2020 vs 2023 you ll have:
- slower infotainment system processor Intel Atom versus much faster AMD
- not compatible with CCS adapters, in case you want to use other DC fast chargers with adapters
- HW3 generation of FSD computers, vs HW4 in 2023 model (just recently though)
- lead-acid 12V low voltage battery vs li-ion low voltage battery that does not need maintenance
- build quality of 2020 models overall lower than 2022 or 2023
- if you go with Performance model, 2023 performance ride quality significantly improved compared to 2020, 2021 and some 2022 models
I would add that the 2020 Long Range and Performance Model Y vehicles do not have heated steering wheels. IMHO the heated steering wheel is important if you live up north.

Also, slightly lower battery pack capacity when new (78kWh for 2020 Model Y versus 82kWh for 2023 Long Range and Performance Model Y).

My 2020 Long Range Model Y shows as being compatible with the CCS Combo 1 charging adapter (I've never tried to use one.)

Reliability has been excellent. In three years I have only had to have my 2020 Long Range Model Y repaired by Tesla one time. This was for an AC compressor oil leak shortly after my Model Y was delivered. Other than that, nada.

Last edited:
Reactions: Art84 and easyev
I listed my used vehicle on craigslist and Facebook. Facebook was better this time around. Although I was flooded with contacts from dealerships wanting to buy. They always always always asked for VIN number right off the bat and offered a "quick sale". In the end I was unable to find a buyer after 45 days and sold it to a Honda dealership at a good rate. (funny thing was the Lincoln dealership offer was 3k less than all others and they list my model Lincoln for top dollar. And my vehicle was in pretty pristine condition) Caravana gave me the best offer but it expired before I decided to go with them.. in the end Carvana dropped their offer 4K after a few weeks. so you might want to see what the market prices are prior to doing a Carvana quote.

Very true, other than starting booting up the car the brake pedal is used when something unexpected happens. One pedal driving is very nice once you get used to it.
It’s funny a lot of people talk about “one pedal driving” but when I got my Tesla I never noticed it. You simply drive and when you let off the accelerator, it slows down, it’s great! Like quite natural and 96,000 km on original brakes (p85dl) and it passed safety when I sold it! 😍 Tesla!

Reactions: pipestem
Our 2020 MY LR early build (VIN 15XX) is CCS compatible. To find out if the car is compatible press the car symbol> software> additional information. Another way is to go on the Tesla app and try to order an adapter. If your car is not compatible they will offer to sell you a conversion kit.

Our 2020 MY LR early build (VIN 15XX) is CCS compatible. To find out if the car is compatible press the car symbol> software> additional information. Another way is to go on the Tesla app and try to order an adapter. If your car is not compatible they will offer to sell you a conversion kit.
Thank you my old 2015 MS was CCS compatible with a $670 retrofit kit. Well, I was thinking about it with everyone moving to NACS I don’t think there’s much point in North America is there? One time I probably would’ve used it. I pulled up to a Supercharger in a parking garage and all 12 stalls were occupied. Two free (Well, not really free but not occupied) DC chargers were there with not a person in sight. I guess I could’ve plugged into those without waiting 10 minutes for a supercharger.

I listed my used vehicle on craigslist and Facebook. Facebook was better this time around. Although I was flooded with contacts from dealerships wanting to buy. They always always always asked for VIN number right off the bat and offered a "quick sale". In the end I was unable to find a buyer after 45 days and sold it to a Honda dealership at a good rate. (funny thing was the Lincoln dealership offer was 3k less than all others and they list my model Lincoln for top dollar. And my vehicle was in pretty pristine condition) Caravana gave me the best offer but it expired before I decided to go with them.. in the end Carvana dropped their offer 4K after a few weeks. so you might want to see what the market prices are prior to doing a Carvana quote.
OK thank you I’m going try it and list it on FB today and see what happens.

I would add that the 2020 Long Range and Performance Model Y vehicles do not have heated steering wheels. IMHO the heated steering wheel is important if you live up north.

Also, slightly lower battery pack capacity when new (78kWh for 2020 Model Y versus 82kWh for 2023 Long Range and Performance Model Y).

My 2020 Long Range Model Y shows as being compatible with the CCS Combo 1 charging adapter (I've never tried to use one.)

Reliability has been excellent. In three years I have only had to have my 2020 Long Range Model Y repaired by Tesla one time. This was for an AC compressor oil leak shortly after my Model Y was delivered. Other than that, nada.
This is great info, thank you! No one mentions the 2022 I guess it’s the same as the 2021? Considering the small price difference between new and used, I might go new.