Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not necessarily. Never looked this on the tesla but every ICE I've owned in the last half century had a bit of play in the pedal. Play was spec'd in the maintenance manual. Typically with a diagram showing the distance before the pedal started doing work. And given that at the beginning of the movement, the 'plunger' switch that activated the lights closed, the light did in fact come on before the brakes did. And that makes sense. That if anytihng, you warn the driver behind you that you are stopping before the car begins to decelerate.

I do agree that there is no need for the brake pedal to move to turn on the brake lights. I disagree that you necessarily know that what you are feeling going down the road is what you think it is.

All that said though, I'll stick with my perception that the physical braking is not happening with the switch off and more importantly to my oroginal point that the stopping is more comfortable. It only helps that my percenption and understanding matches the official documentation from the manufacturer.
So, if you charge to 100% then FSD will not brake?
FSD does not care about the mode or regen. It requests deceleration and the car decelerates.

Hi Dewg. I don’t see that option under navigation or autopilot. What am I doing wrong?
My bad - it's in the Autopilot settings - thought it was in Navigation:

Tesla introduced a new ‘Exit Passing Lane’ feature in its 2020.36.10 software update:

“While Navigate on Autopilot is activated, your car can now remain in the passing lane. To adjust your passing lane preference, tap Controls > Autopilot > CUSTOMIZE NAVIGATE ON AUTOPILOT > EXIT PASSING LANE.”

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
It say nothing about the color of the bar. This setting was not always there. It does make sense that when they add a capability like that that it would be optional.
The manual also says that this setting activates physical braking. It says nothing of the color.

"whereas power used by the regular braking system displays in gray."

Ok. Tesla does not always document everything. But here is how it works (approximately - any uncertainty is noted in line). I would do pictures but I keep my car at low SOC and I don't live in a refrigerator so I can't display what is needed.

If that "Apply Brakes When Regenerative Braking Is Limited" is DISABLED:

When NOT using FSD:
- If you have limited regen, you will see dots on the left hand side of the bar. This indicates some level of limited regenerative ability.
- When you release the accelerator, you will have limited regen. This may result in less slowing that you are accustomed to, depending on slope, how long you have been regenerating, etc.
- You will see green on the bar to show you your regenerative power. It may not be able to make it all the way to the dots depending on your speed, but you may still notice reduced braking even if you have not technically hit the regen limit, according to the bar.
- When you use the friction brakes manually, this will not display on the bar in any way.

When using FSD:
- Even if you have limited regen, these dots will disappear when FSD is in use.
- The bar that shows regenerative braking will only show regenerative braking in green.
- When FSD uses friction brakes, it will not display on the bar in any way.

If that "Apply Brakes When Regenerative Braking Is Limited" is ENABLED:

When NOT using FSD:
- If you have limited regen, you will see NOT dots on the left hand side of the bar. This is because limited regen does not matter; you don't need to know about it.
- When you release the accelerator, with limited regen, you will have limited regen. However, the brakes will be applied, and you will feel this if you cover the brakes. You will get the same braking behavior and "regen" profile as you would if you did not have regen limits.
- You will see green on the bar to show you regenerative power.
- With accelerator pedal released, you will see black on the bar to show you how much friction braking is being used (blended). (I actually am not 100% sure of this - someone would need to confirm that this actually happens. Just don't have limited regen enough to remember - this is my recollection, but I may be confusing with when FSD is in use. Seems like maybe it doesn't because if it did I would be reminded of my limited regen...and I don't remember that happening...). In any case, in my opinion, it SHOULD work this way according to the manual...I think it doesn't though after consideration? Haha, someone can easily confirm I am sure.
- Manual brake application is not displayed on the bar in any way.

When using FSD:
- The bar that shows regenerative braking will show regenerative braking in green, and friction braking in black.
- If regenerative braking is limited, it will display more friction braking than it would otherwise.

Last edited:
As explained above, this setting affects behavior when you drive manually. It has no impact on decisions by the computer when using FSD Beta.
where in the manufacture's documentation does it say that? It does not. Trur that you don't see the 'gray' ever show up when not in FSD. ALso irrelevant given this whole sub-thread has to do with FSDs braking using physical brakes or not.

What I do see regarding this original bit are a lot of claims that are not backed by anything other than the poster's claims and that are contracicted by documentation.

Time to stop arguing. I'll continue to believe the manufacturere's word for this which also matches my experience.

Have a good rest of your weekend everyone.

- On a flashing green arrow or light the car starts and stops in sync with the flashing. It’s hilarious. Takes a long time to get thru an intersection. Usually about 8 flashes. 😂. And we have those everywhere here.
@Webeevdrivers I had an experience on FSD v12.3.6 that I think you will appreciate: At a four way stop it came to a stop, then started to proceed, stop, start, stop, start, etc. At first I couldn't see what was causing the problem, but then I looked up and saw a flashing red light, which it was going in sync to. (I think trees were blocking my view of the red light as we came up to the stop.) I disengaged and reported it.

Weirdly I went through three more intersections with the same setup and it did just fine. (But none of them had trees blocking the flashing light from a distance.)

On a flashing green arrow or light the car starts and stops in sync with the flashing
Where do you have flashing green lights? I’ve never seen that in any of my driving anywhere.

Flashing red is used as a stop sign, flashing yellow as caution/yield, but what exactly is flashing green supposed to mean? It seems to be a non-standard use so I’d understand why FSD gets confused. One second the light’s green, the next there’s no light at all which generally means stop and proceed with caution because the power is out.

Reactions: Yelobird
where in the manufacture's documentation does it say that? It does not. Trur that you don't see the 'gray' ever show up when not in FSD. ALso irrelevant given this whole sub-thread has to do with FSDs braking using physical brakes or not.

What I do see regarding this original bit are a lot of claims that are not backed by anything other than the poster's claims and that are contracicted by documentation.

Time to stop arguing. I'll continue to believe the manufacturere's word for this which also matches my experience.

Have a good rest of your weekend everyone.
But….. there’s a blackish line displayed. The display is never wrong granted it Does see a semi in my garage on the display but it Must be real!

Where do you have flashing green lights? I’ve never seen that in any of my driving anywhere.
Canada.

As it turns out, they’re not even the same between Canadian provinces — a fact that’s confusing when you travel to the area.

Flashing green lights mean the following in each part of Canada and the US:

LocationFlashing green light meaning
British Columbia: pedestrian-controlled crossing.pedestrian-controlled crossing.
OntarioProtected left turn signal (no longer commonly used).

@Webeevdrivers I had an experience on FSD v12.3.6 that I think you will appreciate: At a four way stop it came to a stop, then started to proceed, stop, start, stop, start, etc. At first I couldn't see what was causing the problem, but then I looked up and saw a flashing red light, which it was going in sync to. (I think trees were blocking my view of the red light as we came up to the stop.) I disengaged and reported it.

Weirdly I went through three more intersections with the same setup and it did just fine. (But none of them had trees blocking the flashing light from a distance.)
like this?

Snap9.jpg

I go through this one all the time and FSDs handles it fine. Slows to the stop, maybe creeps a little and then goes. This pic is an old one. Now that stop sign on the right has small lights around the edge (as does the right hand one coming the other way). Those lights blink continuously and the car handles this one fine.

Have to double check but I think these are regualr old lights. Not LED

that you don't see the 'gray' ever show up when not in FSD
I believe this may be true in manual mode, which contradicts the documentation, arguably. (Anyway irrelevant here as you say.)
to do with FSDs braking using physical brakes or not.
As suggested, charge to 100%. Try using FSD with and without the setting. Observe the regen bar. Report back!

You don’t have to believe me. You can check it yourself. Let me know.
I think you will see mostly black/grey with mode on when slowing modestly, and you’ll see nothing except a tiny amount of green with the mode off.

This doesn’t exactly prove things, because in these modest situations maybe brakes would not have been used and theoretically it might only display brake use when it would have used the brakes regardless. But it doesn’t work that way it turns out. That’s why just going to an unlimited regen state and observing the brake pedal is the way to check this for sure.
that are contracicted by documentation.
Where is it contradicted? The documentation says:

"whereas power used by the regular braking system displays in gray."

Do explain what is contradictory.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bull

Yeah I had this happen on the approach to a disabled traffic light, flashing red, on 12.3.4.

But rather than coming to a stop, on the approach it would slow down, then stop slowing down, then slow down some more, etc. With about a 0.3s lag, approximately.

I disengaged & reported.

Sure, it is non-standard in the USA. But it is standard in some other places, and if FSD is allowed to be used in those places, it should respond appropriately to flashing green when the car is in locations where flashing green has a specific meaning.
except it's not even standardized in Canada. so you're expecting it to deal with an unstandardized system. Good luck with that.

I was on Interstate 26 at night from Kingsport going to Asheville using the trial FSD and the car would change lanes for no reason. Did it 3 times. There were no cars, exit or entry ramps nearby. It was slightly foggy. Also I live on a narrow street and the car veered onto the neighbors driveway, went a little slow, 13 mph instead of the 20 mph speed limit, and turned too wide and went on the neighbors lawn. It's impressive but needs some work.

• Helpful
Reactions: Z_Lynx