Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just loaded v12.3.6 and wanted to test it on a local mountain road in Southern California called Palomar Mountain. It was extremely impressive with challenging curves on the climb up the mountain and down the other side. I was encouraged by the fact that the car moved to the inside (right) of the lane when going through a right curve. The problem occurred when one of the right curves was a diminishing radius curve that became tighter as it progressed. In this case it was a very close call with a car coming the other way and I had to take over. This happened twice and as expected made me a lot less confident.

That said I really think that the v12.* releases have really improved the overall experience. Besides the above my main "wish" is still that FSD is still lacking in lane positioning before an upcoming turn, especially in heavy traffic.

In the 7+ years I've owned Model Xes I try to tell it the way I see it...good, bad, or indifferent; especially with respect to FSD. My personal daily experiences with V12.3.5 has (so far), nothing short of amazing. When it comes to my city driving with an abundance of Roundabouts and 4 way stop signs, dare I say it is practically flawless!

Since the new Tesla Vision Auto Park, on my 2023 MXLR, this feature for me is actually useful rather than the lumbering version on my 2016 MX with USS sensors. I especially like using Autopark at Supercharging Ceners. It backs me up perfectly aligned to the charging cable.

What I don't understand is the naysayers who are not having similar experiences as me. Why am I having good experiences and they are not?

I'm not saying that FSD is ready for full autonomy NOW, but I'm starting to finally see the end in sight and the goal achievable. Am I naive or just wishful thinking?

In the 7+ years I've owned Model Xes I try to tell it the way I see it...good, bad, or indifferent; especially with respect to FSD. My personal daily experiences with V12.3.5 has (so far), nothing short of amazing. When it comes to my city driving with an abundance of Roundabouts and 4 way stop signs, dare I say it is practically flawless!

Since the new Tesla Vision Auto Park, on my 2023 MXLR, this feature for me is actually useful rather than the lumbering version on my 2016 MX with USS sensors. I especially like using Autopark at Supercharging Ceners. It backs me up perfectly aligned to the charging cable.

What I don't understand is the naysayers who are not having similar experiences as me. Why am I having good experiences and they are not?

I'm not saying that FSD is ready for full autonomy NOW, but I'm starting to finally see the end in sight and the goal achievable. Am I naive or just wishful thinking?
We are on 12.3.6. It’s pretty good.

-Still can’t merge (just runs out the lane and then just jumps into traffic with no signal), but I suspect that will change with single stack.
- No signals in roundabout but not sure if that’s illegal.
- Still fails a key intersection where it always moves into an oncoming traffic lane but it is an edge case weird intersection.
- Still stays in the left (fast) lane once it passes someone and will not move back. If I force it back it just moves back over again.
- On a flashing green arrow or light the car starts and stops in sync with the flashing. It’s hilarious. Takes a long time to get thru an intersection. Usually about 8 flashes. 😂. And we have those everywhere here.

But generally speaking it’s much better. And the auto parking is actually useful now.

But it’s no where near any kind of autonomous level. I do enjoy using it now. I’m actually fine with a competent level 2 supervised system. I’m sure level 4 will happen someday but we are no where near that.

We are on 12.3.6. It’s pretty good.

- Still stays in the left (fast) lane once it passes someone and will not move back. If I force it back it just moves back again .
@Webeevdrivers

I had several experiences on I-70E in Colorado where I was in Fast Lane and a vehicle behind me was fast approaching(i keep my rear camera on while driving) . My FSD moved me into right lane allowing the vehicle behind me to pass me.
I thought this coincidental but it happened again on 2 other occasions that trip.

Now that is pretty impressive and intuitive if you ask me.😊👍

I'm on 3.6 and I generally agree with you. The roundabouts (or traffic circles as we prefer back here) do shine. I've done a bit if PA driving recently where they've gone nuts putting the roundabouts in and 3.6 has navigated them all very well.

But there are significant issues still for me. Several times the car has tried to run the gate on a closed toll booth (PA turnpike) as well as move to a closed (closed with gates) left lane (same PA turnpike). It had trouble deciding whether to go right or left at a split (nav did know to go left) and I had to disengage before it ran up on the grass between the two.

Those have been the primary safety areas but there are also numerous 'comfort' issues for me. It takes off like a jack rabbit (I have always used 'Chill'). Enough so that it will overshoot a 25mph speed limit and have to decelerate back down. I think I've also had it happen on a 35mph limit. I understand and think it should do things like that in emergency situations but not in the normal course of resuming from a stop.

On the flip side it was running up to a stop and then jamming on the brakes. By that I mean (this was my initial V12 : 3.3) the car would not slow down until almost at a light or stop sign and then brake hard. Hard enough that in the first few days I never saw a stop that did not use the physical brakes (as determined by the bar going in to the gray area). I did fix that by turning off the setting that allows physical braking and the result is much better stopping.

It still does too much lane changing unless I remember to hit the minimize button.

If / when it shifts to the right from the left / passing lane it often is much too close to the car it's shifting front of. This one I think is a safety issue.

This may be a nav and not so much FSDs but there are several drives where it simply makes poor choices. For example from the grocery store where I do most of my shopping, it always wants to make an unprotected left across a divided multi-lane 55 mph highway. Two alternatives cost 1/10 th of a mile and make the same turn at a light and are probably faster as the 55mph probably overcomes the wait for the unprotected turn added to the time to go almost the same distance at 25 mph with stop signs.

But yes compared to my initiial FSDb (10.2 in 10/21) the current version is a dream.

Reactions: old pilot
My FSD moved me into right lane allowing the vehicle behind me to pass me.
I thought this coincidental but it happened again on 2 other occasions that trip.

Now that is pretty impressive and intuitive if you ask me
It would be more impressive to move back to the slow lane when able instead of waiting for someone to come up behind you.

I did fix that by turning off the setting that allows physical braking and the result is much better stopping.
There is no such setting.

The setting that automatically uses friction brakes when regenerative braking is limited simply allows the display to show friction braking when using FSD.

When you turn it off the friction braking display will go away but of course FSD is still doing it.

I don’t think there is any change in profile (would not make any sense).

If in doubt rest your foot over the brake and you’ll feel it move.

Reactions: hybridbear
This is the setting I'm referring to. The info pretty clearly says it is applying brakes when set but not when the setting is cleared.

Snap7a.jpg

This is the setting I'm referring to

View attachment 1044335
Right. When disabled, that just turns off the display of friction braking in the bar when using FSD. It makes no difference to braking profile (AFAIK - it makes little sense that it would).

You can still cover the brake and feel when friction braking is used.

Of course if your regenerative braking is limited, FSD is going to use more friction braking - but that will be the same regardless of setting, it just will display when enabled and not display when not enabled.

I’ve run it both ways and I’ve never noticed a difference.

that is not what the info says. The second sentence clearly says that when set the brakes are applied to mimic full regen. It say nothing about the color of the bar. This setting was not always there. It does make sense that when they add a capability like that that it would be optional.

The manual also says that this setting activates physical braking. It says nothing of the color.

Snap8.jpg

Reactions: Yelobird
Right. When disabled, that just turns off the display of friction braking in the bar when using FSD. It makes no difference to braking profile (AFAIK - it makes little sense that it would).

You can still cover the brake and feel when friction braking is used.

Of course if your regenerative braking is limited, FSD is going to use more friction braking - but that will be the same regardless of setting, it just will display when enabled and not display when not enabled.

I’ve run it both ways and I’ve never noticed a difference.
I have not felt nor see anyone verify what you claim. I suspect the minor pedal movement you are noticing is the car moving the pedal to actuate the brake lights due to regen decel.

• Disagree
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I have not felt nor see anyone verify what you claim. I suspect the minor pedal movement you are noticing is the car moving the pedal to actuate the brake lights due to regen decel.
Charge the car to 100% and use the "Apply Brakes When Regenerative Braking is Limited" mode. The pedal will move significantly when you let off the accelerator, turn it off and it won't move at all and you will coast.

I have no idea what you are saying. It makes zero sense. The brake pedal does not need to actuate to activate the brake lights. And it moving sufficiently will certainly activate the brake lights, of course.

If the brake pedal moves, the brakes are being actuated to some degree. It is a physical connection.

Really do not understand what you are saying about the minor pedal movement. If the brake pedal moves, it is applying the friction brakes!
Not necessarily. Never looked this on the tesla but every ICE I've owned in the last half century had a bit of play in the pedal. Play was spec'd in the maintenance manual. Typically with a diagram showing the distance before the pedal started doing work. And given that at the beginning of the movement, the 'plunger' switch that activated the lights closed, the light did in fact come on before the brakes did. And that makes sense. That if anytihng, you warn the driver behind you that you are stopping before the car begins to decelerate.

I do agree that there is no need for the brake pedal to move to turn on the brake lights. I disagree that you necessarily know that what you are feeling going down the road is what you think it is.

All that said though, I'll stick with my perception that the physical braking is not happening with the switch off and more importantly to my oroginal point that the stopping is more comfortable. It only helps that my percenption and understanding matches the official documentation from the manufacturer.

Reactions: Yelobird
Not necessarily. Never looked this on the tesla but every ICE I've owned in the last half century had a bit of play in the pedal. Play was spec'd in the maintenance manual.
Of course. That goes without saying. But I said it; that's why I used the word "sufficiently!" I just figured it wasn't worth being pedantic in my second post by repeating that word. Should have known better.

In any case, if the car is actuating the brake pedal, I think it is quite likely it is using the brakes to some degree.

It only helps that my percenption and understanding matches the official documentation from the manufacturer.
I have no idea what this means.

You'll find that the braking profile is not different when FSD is in use, no matter how you have this set. The only difference is whether or not the friction brake use is displayed.

Just play around with it; you'll see. No need to believe a random person on the internet. As @Daniel in SD suggests, just charge to 100% and then turn on/off the switch. Observe the regen bar display with these two settings.

Separately, just feel the brake pedal at lower SOC when regen only should be sufficient. You'll get the idea.

Last edited: