Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Road to town is twisty and hilly with a few blind curves. Often back roads end up with 55mph speed limits, totally inappropriate when you are heading into a blind curve. Honey badger don't care.
mxnym asked:
To be clear, are you saying your vehicle goes 55 where you think it's inappropriate? I have had several experiences where FSD isn't driving anywhere near the speed limit (in spite of the max setting indicating it can) when I feel it would be appropriate, especially on back roads with 50+mph speed limits, but even on roads with lower limits than that in some cases.

Yes. After a turn from a curvy 45 to a 55 road, it tore off at 55 mph. I dialed down the speed considerably for an upcoming completely blind downhill curve, normally taken at ~35 mph with my foot hovering over the brake. I was not patient enough to see how/if it slowed appropriately.

Reactions: mxnym
It seems like they support users making changes:

Very interesting. I found a nearby roundabout that is missing in TomTom maps and FSD Beta behaves as if it doesn't exist. Made a new thread to talk about TomTom maps and FSD Beta.

Reactions: Oil Freedom
The day after 10.3.1 dropped, I actually had the nav system plan a route that had an endless loop in it. I thought what the heck, and drove it just to see if it would, indeed, just keep going around one block. Yup, it did.

There appears to be a random but in how it plans nav routes this go around. Sometimes it'll come up with routes that either just don't make sense at all, or in the worst case, have an endless loop in it.
Maybe it caught the waymo virus (San Francisco Richmond District dead-end street), lol

yep. the roads I were on were pretty pristine. it really defies explanation what the braking was for.
I noticed, particularly while on assertive mode, a more or less constant variation in speed. Nothing drastic, just annoying. It was there in chill mode also, but milder. They could have the gain in the speed control loop set too high, which would cause oscillations in speed, maybe as it changes from one segment of the path to the next.

Hard braking or small slowdowns ? Small slowdowns keep happening - but I've not had a "real" phantom braking in a while ... (except in that one downhill road).
hard to say. what do you consider Hard braking or small slowdowns. Not sure how far it slowed. Probably not all that may mph. But it was a fairly hard brake. I immediately hit the gas pedal because cars were behind me

Well, judging by the lack of posting and how it has slowed the past week, guess we vetted all the annoyances of this Beta.

More bad roundabouts.
Bad following distance on any settings.
Slamming on brakes (see above)
Speed setting on Beta doesn't react at all compared to highway/regular ACC when telling it to slow (see above to slamming on brakes)
General wonkiness as always with all sorts of standard maneuvers.
Various ACC and FSD aggressiveness settings do nothing seemingly, tried everything, acts the same everywhere.

Single stack is needed, too many inconsistencies between the two versions now making life and driving an annoying situation. I've mostly stopped using Beta at this point. Was a fun trick at times to show off and entertain myself...but for $200/month..yeah, no thanks...actually $213+ with tax.

Honestly, at this point, the honeymoon is over. They need more progress or just going to jump out of Beta and drop the FSD subscription until they get it together better. Waste of money...that will over nearly my entire CDD fees what Elon is asking for a year of this stuff!!!

ROFL.

With that said, I'm an idiot for not buy TSLA on that last dip at $700....stupid investor arggh!!

DAFB52BB-5983-4FD8-AD74-439EA4600E84.gif

Reactions: Phlier
Has anyone else noticed that when FSD beta is enabled, and you apply enough force to disengage auto steer (but TACC is still enabled), the visualization switches back to the old production style (no more red, yellow, blue-green/gray jumping decision path, etc.) until you fully disengage FSD beta using the up-stalk or brake pedal? I haven’t stayed on TACC for long enough after that to see what stack it’s using for speed control. I.E. - what happens when you approach a stoplight in that state? Does it brake really late and hard like production AP stoplight control or does it gradually and more naturally slow down like FSD beta does?

I’ve submitted 6 emails to the FSD beta team with photos and timestamps. Is everyone else doing that when they have issues?

The car has tried to move right into bicycle lanes, drive off an embankment, be so afraid of plastic posts used in a center divider that it moved halfway into the #2 lane and not accelerating enough from a red light.

I’ve submitted 6 emails to the FSD beta team with photos and timestamps. Is everyone else doing that when they have issues?

The car has tried to move right into bicycle lanes, drive off an embankment, be so afraid of plastic posts used in a center divider that it moved halfway into the #2 lane and not accelerating enough from a red light.
I think many people are. I've sent a bunch of emails to the FSD beta team with as much supporting info as possible.

Did the speed limit sign in the visualization show 15 mph? It's possible that the difference is in the quality of the mapping data
I've noticed that 15mph signs are sometimes detected and visualized when OSM has maxspeed data. I haven't found a 15mph sign that wasn't already OSM mapped yet, but I'll keep looking. But even then, it looks like it's mostly vision based and sometimes the neural networks don't give high enough confidence to render:
15mph.jpg

I also tested with OSM mapped 20mph and 5mph signs (the various 10mph OSM mapped ones I checked didn't actually have a posted speed limit sign):
20mph.jpg
5mph.jpg

A few interesting things about the 20mph sign:
  • the neural network actually predicted it to be 30mph and adjusted speed up on the 1st pass (photo from a 2nd pass)
  • when initially turning onto this road, the car's map data knew it was 20mph even though OSM doesn't have a speed limit for that segment
    • yet another observation that maybe only Smart Summon uses OSM
  • another speed limit sign on the street was initially rendered on the visualization but was removed as I got closer
    • probably thought it was a 30mph sign then confidence dropped below some threshold

A few interesting things about the 20mph sign:
  • the neural network actually predicted it to be 30mph and adjusted speed up on the 1st pass (photo from a 2nd pass)
  • when initially turning onto this road, the car's map data knew it was 20mph even though OSM doesn't have a speed limit for that segment
    • yet another observation that maybe only Smart Summon uses OSM
  • another speed limit sign on the street was initially rendered on the visualization but was removed as I got closer
    • probably thought it was a 30mph sign then confidence dropped below some threshold
Not sure Tesla uses OSM for anything other than summon. See this thread.

I again had trouble driving in the rain last evening. FSD beta was fairly unstable - and even wanted to move to the right lane (with a vehicle coming in the opposite direction at about 100 meters). It kept giving me "poor weather detected" warnings. I have cleaned all the camera coverings with little improvement. Infact I get "poor weather detected" even during daytime with rain. Either FSD gives more warnings or has actually got worse than AP. Anyway, should we apply RainX or something similar to the front of cameras ? Would that cause more trouble than solve rain issue ... ?

Started a new thread on this.

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc and Phlier