Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

March 19th Press Conference Live Blog

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OTOH, all Model S did get the tank plating. And this is software modification.

Further, the quote is "entire Model S fleet" -FLEET denotes existing cars rather than all cars "rolling off the assembly line"

AFAIK there were no mechanical differences that would make the plating difficult to apply (although it did make battery pack swap more difficult for all cars).

Some vehicles don't have the tech package. Do they get all the new features? Or are there differences that would make it difficult?

I don't think there's any hardware reason why someone who didn't get the Tech package last year couldn't be given Navigation now. AFAIK, Navigation/off-line maps is entirely a software feature, so perhaps all non-Tech cars will be upgraded to include Nav.
This is the side I find myself on.
Further to Robert's statement, I see no reason why the Range Assurance upgrade would apply only to cars with the Garmin (if it is hardware). Isn't that an important part of "Tech Package" that enabled the feature they used to sell as "Step-By-Step Navigation?"
The car is checking Supercharger status every x seconds. All the other processing could be done "in the Tesla cloud" and sent back to the car. I don't think that's literally it, but I still think all model S cars will get Range Assurance.
Email today from Tesla: "Now your Model S automatically warns you before you drive out of range of known charging locations."
Your. = Existing car.
Now. = it can haz new feature.

Pearlie May will never have autopilot... but range assurance is belong to all our S!

Last edited:
Tesla support confirmed that the announced ota update will start deployment 10 days after the announcement. Probably by the end of the first week of April.

Is the last sentence a joke?

The announcement was March 19th. Ten days later would be March 29th. The end of the first week of April, depending on what you are considering the first week in April, would be April 3 or April 10.

Is the last sentence a joke?

The announcement was March 19th. Ten days later would be March 29th. The end of the first week of April, depending on what you are considering the first week in April, would be April 3 or April 10.

Are we really having this conversation?
The tesla response was toward an email I have received yesterday about the update.
The announcement was the email, that you might have in your inbox too.

It is still great to receiving the update in 10, 15 or 20 days.
I wanted to make sure that it was not 6 months out.

Last edited:
Are we really having this conversation?
The tesla response was toward an email I have received yesterday about the update.
The announcement was the email, that you might have in your inbox too.

Is is it 10, 15 or 20? It is still great.
I wanted to make sure that it was not 6 months out promise.

I thought you might have been making a joke because Tesla typically does everything later than they say they will.

If they really sent you an email that said what you wrote above, that's even funnier.

If they just confirmed "ten days after the announcement" and then you editorialized and translated that into "by the end of the first week of April", well, that's just a sad statement on what we all know about Tesla time: you received an e-mail "confirming" something would happen by March 29th, but rather than just report that, you chose to enhance that information by offering your own opinion that it would probably really happen by a week or two later.

Here the without edit:

Tommaso,

The OTA updates generally begin distribution 10 days after the announcement and come in waves. You can expect the update sometime in the first week of April. Should you have not received it by the end of that first week feel free to give us a call and we will patch you through to Tech Support

image001.gif@01D06643.C96F7030

This msg was in response of this message:

To ensure you keep receiving information like this from Tesla, please subscribe to Tesla updates.
Two new features make it easier than ever to take a trip in your Model S by ensuring that you never unintentionally run out of charge. With Range Assurance and Trip Planner, you have peace of mind at all times and maximum freedom to travel. Here’s how they work:
Range Assurance
Now your Model S automatically warns you before you drive out of range of known charging locations. The navigation system then shows a map of the most convenient charging locations and guides you to the closest one. No need to think ahead or do any calculations. This software update makes it effectively impossible for a Model S driver to run out of charge unintentionally. Your car always takes care of you.
Trip Planner
Model S will now automatically navigate you to your destination by integrating the best charging options into your route. The software figures out the fastest and most convenient path to your destination, including how long to stop at each charging location. As soon as your car is ready to go, it will message you via the Tesla phone app. As always, the Supercharger network provides free long distance travel to Model S owners. You arrive, plug in and it just works.
Test Drive and Learn More: 888-51-TESLA
FooterImage1