Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maps Traffic Not Exactly Working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Confirming that the traffic data is not updating and displaying inaccurate data. I use traffic every morning and evening on my commute and got stuck in traffic which was not displaying given the zoom level was caching the previous days. The good thing is that I now realize how much I love (loved) the traffic display in the map.

The idea of only showing accurate traffic data when a route is programmed is peevesome to say the least. I don't navigate via programmed route unless I don't know where I'm going but I always want to know traffic conditions on visible alternative routes as I "just drive around."

I sent them an email. My use coincides with your likely - I know where I'm going - just want to adjust where I'm pointed at any given time. I would very much rather see nothing vs. the stale data that is being displayed currently though - I keep zooming in and out try to guess which is accurate.

Cutting edge technology.

Focus on cutting.

This is horseshit. Not being able to get in the car and check traffic and/or have traffic update in real-time is absurd. Give us CarPlay since now we have to use other providers for accurate information.

Fearture reduction is shady-ass business.

Well, this is complete crap. Old 2012 Model S here and always used the traffic information to dynamically route myself because the route planner just can't handle stuff inside the city very well. Noticed traffic doesn't update very well since the last software patch.

Huge step back in usability. I wish I could downgrade to the previous version. It's even worse than not having it at all, because it's frequently outright wrong. I've gone the worst possible path now more than a few times because the green/red lines on the screen were lying to me.

I can play a song via LTE, but I can't see the traffic? Ridiculous. Really pisses me off to lose that functionality after years of having it.

Reactions: apacheguy
Uh, has anyone re-checked since 28.x? Since that update for me at least, I think its producing real time traffic regardless of routing being input. It actually takes a few seconds to refresh when opened and moved/panned around which makes me think it IS actually doing the expected refresh. The traffic data on the map, in the Bay Area, for me at least mirrors what I see on google maps on my iPhone.

I received 28.x on Saturday. Last night, on my way home I was about to take a road that appeared all green. I zoomed out the map and realized that the data was stale - road was all red in my direction.

Why the heck does Tesla think it makes sense not to refresh this data?

Reactions: SVMike
Same issue for me, with some additional insights:
The behavior changes when I zoom in/out (with + and -), fully reproducible.

Let's say I start driving in the morning, map is at zoom level Z, and I see traffic from the last evening.
If I zoom in and out, in any level other than Z, everything is OK. In level Z, I see old traffic.

This is not a feature, it's a bug.

Recently I have had to disable/enable traffic on my model S for it to update. I always question it when it shows normally busy highways as green during rush hour. Fortunately I always take the same back roads anyway. It seems to update well after that though.... more of an issue when I am just beginning my drive home some days.

Our model S does this as well. I fix it by switching between full and half screen which forces a refresh. Just turning traffic on and off doesn't do it. This is totally new behavior. Since we've had the car the traffic display, once it came in, was accurate.

I'm not sure if it keeps updating however once refreshed. I'm going to do some more testing.

I've been having the same issue with traffic not refreshing automatically anymore. I called Tesla Roadside Assistance this am and went through the usual re-boot and power down of my Model S. Nothing. Tesla assistant then connected me to a Tesla IT guy who said this is a known "bug" in the last update. He said they are working on a fix and states it should be out in the next 2-3 weeks. At least this is not something intentionally changed because as it is, traffic without automatic refresh is useless. Fingers crossed.

Mine has been resolved. Either because of 2018.32.2 or the Hard Reset that Tesla Service did recently. Both occurred at the same time.
Which, of course, is hilarious given:

I have the same issue that the map is not updating/refreshing. I called Tesla and after a 30 minutes wait they didn't know why. They later sent me this e-mail.

--------------------
Hello Mr. Nguyen,

I spoke to you earlier about the map/navigation issues with the traffic not updating. I messaged my Advanced Vehicle Support Team about your concern and I was informed this is the expected behavior since the latest firmware update. The traffic will update only if the customer has a route planned but it will not be available if the customer is just driving around. This is apparently a performance update to help promote efficiency in our navigation system to promote better loading of data and performance of the navigation system.

If you would like to provide feedback or suggestions about this change or other improvements to our navigation, please send an email to [email protected].

Brad Smith | Service Support
6900 Dumbarton Circle, Fremont, CA 94555
p. (877) 798-3752 | [email protected]
------------------------

I am very upset that Tesla decided to render my navigation practically useless with this update. I'm sure there are still a lot of bandwidth to be spare. Worst come to worse, charge me a fee and let me have live traffic info. BTW the actual map would NOT update even if you are using the navigation feature.
I received the same response from Tesla as ABCDent. Telling me it works as designed now.
Completely useless to have traffic data that does not update. And their assertion is that it only updates when you enter a route. Which is not true when I test that theory.

Something is going on. The traffic icon is missing from the in car manual now as well.

We have no expectation of the new Nav becoming operational in NZ any time soon and the old one does not use the traffic information. So the theory that it is only update when you enter a router is even less sensible.

Could it be to do with the recent increase by Google for accessing the maps data?
Sun rising in the east and Tesla reps making *sugar* up on the fly. Why on earth do they feel compelled to lie and misrepresent? It is SUPER weird.