Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That plug share listing doesn't make sense to me. It states "dryer outlet HPWC (Tesla Model S). A Tesla HPWC is double the amperage of a 240V 40A dryer plug. I doubt that RV park has a Tesla HPWC.

I see "Dryer Outlet, Tesla HPWC (Model S)". The comma suggests they have both. Though you would think an RV park would have 50A service (NEMA 14-50) rather than a dryer outlet, which is typically 30A.

I wouldn't trust a plugshare listing without check-ins, though.

When I checked Plugshare a couple of months ago I don't remember seeing this "charger" so I think its new & needs to be verified, I am still baffled by the lack of public chargers in Mammoth but it really doesn't matter since we still need Superchargers on 395.

I see "Dryer Outlet, Tesla HPWC (Model S)". The comma suggests they have both. Though you would think an RV park would have 50A service (NEMA 14-50) rather than a dryer outlet, which is typically 30A.

I wouldn't trust a plugshare listing without check-ins, though.

The Plug-share mobile app allows you to list a NEMA 14-50, but it shows up as "Dryer Outlet" on the desktop website for some reason...

It doesn't matter as there is NO snow:~{
Ha! Yeah, that's a problem. Although they just received 25" and more is coming today. I plan on heading up next weekend and get at least a couple days on my season pass. Though, I won't be going with my MS since the CS's have yet to be built.

As far as the RV park goes, there is no HPWC unless something changed recently. They have 50 Amp outlet that are only available in the summer (as they are on dirt paths, I think). Only the 30 Amp outlets are available in the winter. If the SC's were up, one would need to get a reasonable charge in Bishop before the climb up the hill. Since it is so cold up there, I would expect serious vampire losses. My thought was to get a good overnight or daytime charge at the RV park, not use the car much while there, then regen miles back down the hill. My only concern is that regen is supposedly very limited in cold weather.

As far as the lack of chargers in Mammoth, that's just a matter of the people who run that town having the heads stuck way up their a$$es. No one there has any clue what they are doing. Hence the whole airport resort fiasco and why they filed bankruptcy.

As far as the lack of chargers in Mammoth, that's just a matter of the people who run that town having the heads stuck way up their a$$es. No one there has any clue what they are doing. Hence the whole airport resort fiasco and why they filed bankruptcy.

Do some outreach!

While there, talk to some resort, hotel, etc, managers and owners. Let them know how destination charging resources will draw quality customers. Give then this link, Destination Charging, and let them know that Tesla will probably pay for the HPWC. Also point out the low cost to install 14-50 outlets, and how that will work for most EV's.

Good Luck!

Traveled from Glendale to Lone Pine three weeks ago and charged at the RV park. They have dual 14-50's back to back for the first group of sites and I rigged up a dual plug 14-50 to give me 80A to feed my open evse charger. Got a 3hr charge while hanging with the fluffy black cat in the common room. Had enough range to make the long climb to Mammoth, temps in the 10's. My hotel room had outlets that were on separate phases so I could charge at 15A 220 using a dual 110 combiner. I was able to fully charge over the 3 days we were skiing. We then drove back to Lone Pine for another 2hr to top off before returning to Glendale. It would be nice to have Tesla donate a HPWC to the Lone Pine campground and not need to put together a jury rigged charging system. I believe they would install it or at least let one be installed. They were very nice. Warning: do not mess with electricity without the knowledge and tools to do it safely!

Traveled from Glendale to Lone Pine three weeks ago and charged at the RV park. They have dual 14-50's back to back for the first group of sites and I rigged up a dual plug 14-50 to give me 80A to feed my open evse charger. Got a 3hr charge while hanging with the fluffy black cat in the common room. Had enough range to make the long climb to Mammoth, temps in the 10's. My hotel room had outlets that were on separate phases so I could charge at 15A 220 using a dual 110 combiner. I was able to fully charge over the 3 days we were skiing. We then drove back to Lone Pine for another 2hr to top off before returning to Glendale. It would be nice to have Tesla donate a HPWC to the Lone Pine campground and not need to put together a jury rigged charging system. I believe they would install it or at least let one be installed. They were very nice. Warning: do not mess with electricity without the knowledge and tools to do it safely!

What kind of rig(s) are you using for your dual plug 14-50 and dual 110 combiner?

Just curious.

Traveled from Glendale to Lone Pine three weeks ago and charged at the RV park...

Seems like you have twin chargers. I don't. Looking at EVPlanner, I would have to keep my speed in check and limp into Lone Pine, then probably stay the night, or at least a longer stay than you. At least 5 hours I think. Lone Pine to Mammoth doesn't seem so bad. It's only 99 miles plus the hill. I'd say 150 miles range should be sufficient. Still, once up there, I'd have to find a place to charge. There may be an outlet near where I park. What hotel did you stay at? This weekend, I'm borrowing an ICE and will scope it out. Ugh. I haven't been to a gas station in 6 months! I hate to break my streak.

Can you post where I can learn to make a 110 combiner?

Seems like you have twin chargers. I don't. Looking at EVPlanner, I would have to keep my speed in check and limp into Lone Pine, then probably stay the night, or at least a longer stay than you. At least 5 hours I think. Lone Pine to Mammoth doesn't seem so bad. It's only 99 miles plus the hill. I'd say 150 miles range should be sufficient. Still, once up there, I'd have to find a place to charge. There may be an outlet near where I park. What hotel did you stay at? This weekend, I'm borrowing an ICE and will scope it out. Ugh. I haven't been to a gas station in 6 months! I hate to break my streak.

Can you post where I can learn to make a 110 combiner?

Here are some commercial boxes that do it. Beware, it can be a pain to find circuits that are opposite phases, and they are not compatible with GFCI outlets; GFCI's will pop immediately due to a lack of neutral return. Good Luck!

Quick 220 Systems: Voltage Converters

Here are some commercial boxes that do it. Beware, it can be a pain to find circuits that are opposite phases, and they are not compatible with GFCI outlets; GFCI's will pop immediately due to a lack of neutral return. Good Luck!

Quick 220 Systems: Voltage Converters

Thanks. I bookmarked the link for future reference. After thinking about this for awhile this morning, I think I'm gonna pass on taking my MS up. I would barely make it to Lone Pine, and would have to spend the night, getting a lift or walking to the Comfort Inn. Once in Mammoth, I doubt I can find two separate phase circuits where I'm staying. In fact, I am still trying to find one. My friend says I can plug into his 110 in his outside driveway, outside in the cold. My guess is that I will get 2mi/hour. After several days, I should have sufficient to make it back to Lone Pine and charge for a couple of hours. All in all, it seems like a lot of trouble to go through, especially since the skiing is so mediocre right now. Darn, the 395 SC's were supposed to up last fall. I'll cave and take the ICE and wait for the SCs before taking my MS.

Thanks. I bookmarked the link for future reference. After thinking about this for awhile this morning, I think I'm gonna pass on taking my MS up. I would barely make it to Lone Pine, and would have to spend the night, getting a lift or walking to the Comfort Inn. Once in Mammoth, I doubt I can find two separate phase circuits where I'm staying. In fact, I am still trying to find one. My friend says I can plug into his 110 in his outside driveway, outside in the cold. My guess is that I will get 2mi/hour. After several days, I should have sufficient to make it back to Lone Pine and charge for a couple of hours. All in all, it seems like a lot of trouble to go through, especially since the skiing is so mediocre right now. Darn, the 395 SC's were supposed to up last fall. I'll cave and take the ICE and wait for the SCs before taking my MS.

Bishop and Lone Pine are even on the Supercharger map inside the Hawthorne Design Studio. But they aren't on the "coming soon" map or any of the others.

Bishop and Lone Pine are even on the Supercharger map inside the Hawthorne Design Studio. But they aren't on the "coming soon" map or any of the others.

Definitely on the 2014 page. Phew. You scared me.
395 SCs.jpg

I just came back from a magnificent weekend in Mammoth. My only regret is that I wasn't able to take my Tesla.
Interestingly enough, Mammoth Mountain is being sponsored by a huge advertising campaign from Ford for it's CMax Energi car (a plug in hybrid). They have buses completely wrapped in ads, and huge murals in their lodges. Yet, nowhere in the entire town of Mammoth is there a single public place to plug in!

Here is a picture of the main stairwell in Canyon Lodge.

Ford Energi Mammoth.JPG

Last edited:
I just visited by local showroom today, and one of the salesmen there stated very specifically that the 395 SC's will be up sometime "very soon." He said, "In the next few months." I asked him for more specifics and he said that he was not allowed to say. He had the attitude that he definitely knew something and wanted to tell, but wouldn't. Here's hoping. Going up this weekend for my final trip of the season. Taking an ICE again. A minivan at that. Yuck.

I've made a reservation with the Village Lodge Mammoth Mountain Hotels | The Village Lodge Mammoth

This is their chance to get it right. They have diesel block heater plugs available in Valet. I've asked them to install a 50 amp. Should I ask for 70?

I have a single charger and I'm not going to Mammoth for only one night. Fast isn't that important.

Any suggestions for halfway charging in Bishop/Mojave or other? Any owners?

I've made a reservation with the Village Lodge Mammoth Mountain Hotels | The Village Lodge Mammoth
This is their chance to get it right. They have diesel block heater plugs available in Valet. I've asked them to install a 50 amp. Should I ask for 70?
Any suggestions for halfway charging in Bishop/Mojave or other? Any owners?

From earlier in this thread:
There is an RV park in Bishop that is open all year (Highlands RV). They are EV friendly and charge 25 cents a KWH to charge from metered 14-50s.

I looked around for Mojave. The only thing I saw was a home charger called "Thomas". There are some RV parks in Mojave as well, though I don't think they're near the highway 14 side of things. I also don't think they have 50 amp chargers. Mojave would be another great place for a SC. That could get a 60 up to Bishop.

If you can figure out a way to get up there on a 60, without too much inconvenience, then I'd be really impressed. With my 85, it was still too much for me and I borrowed an ICE.