Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Make the Model Y Performance ~Quicker~

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

Owner of a 2021 Model Y Performance here.

I'm wondering if anyone has found out; how can the MYP be made quicker?

I understand the car is blazingly quick, and many will question why more speed and rapid acceleration are needed. But, I believe the MYP should be able to outperform similarly situated SUVs. Ex. The MYP should be propelled to levels able to hit lower 1/4 mile and 0-60 times than the Lambo Urus, Jeep Trackhawk, or tuned BMW X3/4Ms. (Yes, I do know the MYP holds a candle to these cars from a rolling race standpoint).

I've noticed a smaller wheel and a tire set up will push the 0-60 (less rollout) down to the 3.2's. However, the 1/4 mile times (from a dig) just can't beat some of the competition; even with a new wheel/tire set up. Naturally, I know weight saving will make the car quicker. Also, I've seen Unplugged Performance has the "quickest MYP" around Laguna Seca, but I don't believe UP modified the acceleration capabilities of the car. I've scoured the internet for information, but just can't seem to find it. Maybe I'm just a speed freak wanting more when everyone else is satisfied...

Regardless - here I am reaching out. Perhaps there have been people who swap motors from the P100 cars, have hacked the application of voltage to the motors, etc? Any thoughts? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

-Whisper

Reactions: Canyonero
Hello all,

Owner of a 2021 Model Y Performance here.

I'm wondering if anyone has found out; how can the MYP be made quicker?

I understand the car is blazingly quick, and many will question why more speed and rapid acceleration are needed. But, I believe the MYP should be able to outperform similarly situated SUVs. Ex. The MYP should be propelled to levels able to hit lower 1/4 mile and 0-60 times than the Lambo Urus, Jeep Trackhawk, or tuned BMW X3/4Ms. (Yes, I do know the MYP holds a candle to these cars from a rolling race standpoint).

I've noticed a smaller wheel and a tire set up will push the 0-60 (less rollout) down to the 3.2's. However, the 1/4 mile times (from a dig) just can't beat some of the competition; even with a new wheel/tire set up. Naturally, I know weight saving will make the car quicker. Also, I've seen Unplugged Performance has the "quickest MYP" around Laguna Seca, but I don't believe UP modified the acceleration capabilities of the car. I've scoured the internet for information, but just can't seem to find it. Maybe I'm just a speed freak wanting more when everyone else is satisfied...

Regardless - here I am reaching out. Perhaps there have been people who swap motors from the P100 cars, have hacked the application of voltage to the motors, etc? Any thoughts? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

-Whisper
Where are you located (I’m in WPB area)? Have you found any Tesla meet ups nearby? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Are you talking about the streets or track? Most of those cars you listed require hitting switches or knobs and getting traction. The Y’s advantage is you just stomp it and the AWD and torque kicks in. Even the X you have to hit ludicrous and wait 5 minutes to get the 0 to 60 In 2.8. Also the Urus has to be the 300k version because the standard can be beat by the Y in most situations.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
1. 19" Aftermarket lightweight wheels and summer performance tires
2. Get rid of the passenger seat and back seats and interior trims and all non essential items.
3. Remove the roof and rear glass and replace them with the custom Polycarbonate piece.
4. Lose driver's weight (diet, exercise, fasting, etc).

Didn't think to go Polycarbonate - great idea... And will def have to work on No. 4 LOL

Drop it out the back of a C-130? That'll get you to somewhere between 200 and 300mph, more than enough to take on any Lambo.
Unlikely to reach more than 100mph doing this, maybe 120ish. Terminal velocity is a thing. Wesley Snipes and Gary Busey taught me that in the 90s. Not to be confused with the movie Terminal Velocity which also was released the same year and starred Charlie Sheen.

85bc27f141e6dee0b8b7513b6cb2acb8--wesley-snipes-movies-drop-zone.jpg

51N4E55FF4L._SY445_.jpg

Also I forgot to mention that I too am interested in hacking the Gibson and making the car go faster. I bought the MYP and have never driven it, but my WRX sometimes does 0-60 in ~5.1 seconds and I'm ready for more power, so taking the MYP into the sub 3 second range would be pretty cool.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Jbapckfan
Unlikely to reach more than 100mph doing this, maybe 120ish. Terminal velocity is a thing. Wesley Snipes and Gary Busey taught me that in the 90s. Not to be confused with the movie Terminal Velocity which also was released the same year and starred Charlie Sheen.

51N4E55FF4L._SY445_.jpg

Also I forgot to mention that I too am interested in hacking the Gibson and making the car go faster. I bought the MYP and have never driven it, but my WRX sometimes does 0-60 in ~5.1 seconds and I'm ready for more power, so taking the MYP into the sub 3 second range would be pretty cool.
The terminal velocity of a car would be in the 2-300 mile range. I did my research first!
A physicist explains 'Furious 7'

51N4E55FF4L._SY445_.jpg

And don't confuse those terminal velocities with Terminal Velocity the video game, released the following year.

Terminal_Velocity_Coverart.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Apathy