Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P to Plaid - some thoughts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@keith58

I have a model 3 performance and took delivery of my Plaid in June so I've had a fair amount of time with it. I'll share some thoughts–

- In 'sport mode' the steering is more direct and heavier feeling in the Model 3 Performance than the Plaid. This may be largely contributed by the smaller diameter of the steering wheel on the m3p.

- The Plaid yoke is MUCH more direct feeling than the previous generation model S P100D. No offense to any of the pre-refresh model S owners out there but the updated interior is LIGHT YEARS better.

- Along the lines of the steering feel, the suspension is also more direct feeling in the m3p vs the adaptive system of model S. The feedback is more like a "sports" car (with all the pros and cons along with that).

- It sounds funny to say but after driving the Plaid daily for a month and climbing back into the m3p, the first thing you'll notice is that the m3p interior feels dated and "old" inside. And the giant screen? Feels small now. Quaint even. The best way I can describe this is if you're used to using an iPhone X, 11 , or 12 and then hold an iPhone 4, 6, or 8.

- The second thing you'll notice is that the m3p now feels slow– like when you step on it you're expecting more so it feels like only 50% throttle in the Plaid.

Overall if you like vintage sports cars or driver feedback, the m3p is closer to that experience. However if you are shopping Teslas you're probably not after that experience because a manual transmission and exhaust noise is more inline with that. In that way the Plaid is a heavier dose of the "Tesla" experience– more torque, more power, quieter, more futuristic.

For a daily driver the m3p makes more sense for the majority of people. Objectively, however, the Plaid is the better car in every measurable way.

Personally I prefer smaller cars so the Plaid feels huge (even the model 3 is bigger than I'm used to). Overall the product positioning builds a strong case for the upcoming Roadster. If Tesla built a model 3 Plaid I would strongly consider buying it

I’m jumping from a m3p to a plaid. I know the m3p is probably way more practical and I typically drive 2 seater cars so even the 3 is big for me so I’m kinda scared of the size of the plaid but everything else should make up for it. Good write up!

He's dead on. I made the same switch, and it's hard to argue with any of the original points. That said, if you set the Plaid to "Sport" suspension (or "Advanced" and customize it so that it's not automatically "doing stuff,") it does make a difference. For me, the braking is just... nowhere near as direct with the Plaid compared to the 3P. This is so clearly a heavier car.

Does the plaid feel more nimble than the Raven performance? Had a m3p and Raven and I thought the 3 was way more fun just due to how boat like the Raven felt.
I’ve had my plaid for 2 weeks but haven’t driven it yet due to waiting on ppf. Kinda hoping it feels somewhere between the 3 and Raven. Obviously it’s still a larger car but hoping the improved suspension helps.

Does the plaid feel more nimble than the Raven performance? Had a m3p and Raven and I thought the 3 was way more fun just due to how boat like the Raven felt.
I’ve had my plaid for 2 weeks but haven’t driven it yet due to waiting on ppf. Kinda hoping it feels somewhere between the 3 and Raven. Obviously it’s still a larger car but hoping the improved suspension helps.
I felt the same about the older P100D type S. I compared them back to back and straight up preferred the 3 and would have probably gotten it even if the price was the same (which is wasn't at all)

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
I have a Model3 awd+, ordered the Plaid but I’m giving the 3 to my gf. Great pair of cars.

If Tesla ever makes a Ludicrous 3 with a 100kwh battery I might sell the Plaid for it. I think a 100kwh Model3 could have 700+km autonomy and Tesla could make it perform between the MS Plaid and MS LR to not step on the Plaid toes too much and it’d be as close to perfect as a car can be.

Imagine a 2.5sec 0-60, 10sec@135mph Model3 with 700+km range. I’d pay MS LR money for that.

I have a Model3 awd+, ordered the Plaid but I’m giving the 3 to my gf. Great pair of cars.

If Tesla ever makes a Ludicrous 3 with a 100kwh battery I might sell the Plaid for it. I think a 100kwh Model3 could have 700+km autonomy and Tesla could make it perform between the MS Plaid and MS LR to not step on the Plaid toes too much and it’d be as close to perfect as a car can be.

Imagine a 2.5sec 0-60, 10sec@135mph Model3 with 700+km range. I’d pay MS LR money for that.
And throw in the 17” screen, just for grins and giggles. Sign me up too!

@keith58

I have a model 3 performance and took delivery of my Plaid in June so I've had a fair amount of time with it. I'll share some thoughts–

- In 'sport mode' the steering is more direct and heavier feeling in the Model 3 Performance than the Plaid. This may be largely contributed by the smaller diameter of the steering wheel on the m3p.

- The Plaid yoke is MUCH more direct feeling than the previous generation model S P100D. No offense to any of the pre-refresh model S owners out there but the updated interior is LIGHT YEARS better.

- Along the lines of the steering feel, the suspension is also more direct feeling in the m3p vs the adaptive system of model S. The feedback is more like a "sports" car (with all the pros and cons along with that).

- It sounds funny to say but after driving the Plaid daily for a month and climbing back into the m3p, the first thing you'll notice is that the m3p interior feels dated and "old" inside. And the giant screen? Feels small now. Quaint even. The best way I can describe this is if you're used to using an iPhone X, 11 , or 12 and then hold an iPhone 4, 6, or 8.

- The second thing you'll notice is that the m3p now feels slow– like when you step on it you're expecting more so it feels like only 50% throttle in the Plaid.

Overall if you like vintage sports cars or driver feedback, the m3p is closer to that experience. However if you are shopping Teslas you're probably not after that experience because a manual transmission and exhaust noise is more inline with that. In that way the Plaid is a heavier dose of the "Tesla" experience– more torque, more power, quieter, more futuristic.

For a daily driver the m3p makes more sense for the majority of people. Objectively, however, the Plaid is the better car in every measurable way.

Personally I prefer smaller cars so the Plaid feels huge (even the model 3 is bigger than I'm used to). Overall the product positioning builds a strong case for the upcoming Roadster. If Tesla built a model 3 Plaid I would strongly consider buying it
Thank you. I am making the change myself. I previously went from an P85DL to the P3D and was thrilled with a smaller car, more nimble and better in every way. Perviously most of my cars have been smaller, e.g. Porsche 911 and others. When I ordered the Plaid I really questioned my sanity to go back to a BIG car. My spouse has asked repeatedly if I really know what I'm doing, since we ahem zero need for a bigger car. I was sold on ANC, torque vectoring, the interior, yoke and range (19" so 396 miles!). I really did not care too much about spectacular acceleration or top speed. I do like the idea of probable better efficiency than in my P3D.

Of course I haven't yet taken delivery, but mine is slowly wending its way from Fremont to Miami. Soon I'll be stating my own opinions.

Thanks again. This comparison is very valuable.

Best thing Tesla could do to the M3P isn't give it more power, it's give it a better suspension. Not air ride. But a proper set of either adaptive shocks or magnetic shocks. That, and some decent non-boat-anchor wheels.

Oh, and some seats you didn't slide out of turning into your driveway. The M3P is quick enough, but the suspension really holds it back, and sliding out of your seat all the time really saps confidence.

I recently contemplated rolling my 911 and my M3P into a Taycan since my commute shrunk from absurdly long to absurdly short. I drove a 4S and Turbo. All felt great. The 4S felt a little sluggish compared to my 3. Turbo was fast.

But when I got back in my 3, it was amazing how much more lithe and tossable it felt. You really feel the extra 1,000 lbs in the Taycan. Even with a much more sophisticated suspension (3 chamber air, rear steering) there's no cheating physics and the Taycan just feels HEAVY.

Is this how the refreshed S feels as well?

As for me, I decided to wait and get a few months of the new job and commute under my belt. I'm starting to feel that the commute is so short that I could be back in my GTi and it really wouldn't matter. Given the fact that the Performance is nearly paid for and my 911 is appreciating, not depreciating, at the moment, I'll likely just throw a set of MPP coilovers on the car and call it a day. But I will always be jealous of that trick new interior on the S...

Best thing Tesla could do to the M3P isn't give it more power, it's give it a better suspension. Not air ride. But a proper set of either adaptive shocks or magnetic shocks. That, and some decent non-boat-anchor wheels.

Oh, and some seats you didn't slide out of turning into your driveway. The M3P is quick enough, but the suspension really holds it back, and sliding out of your seat all the time really saps confidence.

I recently contemplated rolling my 911 and my M3P into a Taycan since my commute shrunk from absurdly long to absurdly short. I drove a 4S and Turbo. All felt great. The 4S felt a little sluggish compared to my 3. Turbo was fast.

But when I got back in my 3, it was amazing how much more lithe and tossable it felt. You really feel the extra 1,000 lbs in the Taycan. Even with a much more sophisticated suspension (3 chamber air, rear steering) there's no cheating physics and the Taycan just feels HEAVY.

Is this how the refreshed S feels as well?

As for me, I decided to wait and get a few months of the new job and commute under my belt. I'm starting to feel that the commute is so short that I could be back in my GTi and it really wouldn't matter. Given the fact that the Performance is nearly paid for and my 911 is appreciating, not depreciating, at the moment, I'll likely just throw a set of MPP coilovers on the car and call it a day. But I will always be jealous of that trick new interior on the S...

indeed, suspension,seats,driving noise is where the model 3 fails. I dont care about the centre screen and cooled seats and biohazard mode etc.