Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P 2021 w 60k miles lost almost 20% range, unusual?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I purchased my 2021 M3P last june and work on the road a lot, and have put nearly 60k miles on it as of this week. I noticed a good drop last summer where my range went from 315 to about 290 and now this summer my range is down over the course of 3 weeks from almost 295 to 260. I'm getting pretty nervous about this, and was wondering if anyone had any insight as to teslas policy on the subject? I scheduled a time for them to look at it and they said it was normal but everything I see on the subject says this is way outside normal deviation.

For charging, I use superchargers frequently but generally keep the limit to 90%, otherwise I use home chargers. Any insight into whether or not this is normal and what I should expect as far as teslas warrantee on the battery should this fail would be great, I really am not in a place to drop over 10k on a new battery.

Thanks!

I'm getting pretty nervous about this, and was wondering if anyone had any insight as to teslas policy on the subject? I scheduled a time for them to look at it and they said it was normal but everything I see on the subject says this is way outside normal deviation.

Teslas policy on the subject is, "warranty replacement if the battery reaches 30% or more degradation within 8 years 120k miles. Before that time / degradation, you are pretty much wasting your time in engaging tesla on this subject, unless there are other errors that show up.

(relevant text from the warranty link)

Model 3 Long Range
Model 3 Performance
Model Y Long Range
Model Y Performance
8 years or 120,000 miles, whichever comes first, with minimum 70% retention of Battery capacity over the warranty period.

(relevant text from the PDF describing the battery portion of the warranty:

(pdf with a description of the warranty from tesla)

but everything I see on the subject says this is way outside normal deviation.
This is fine. Look at long-term trends. Ignore the 260; it is unlikely to be correct if it occurred suddenly, and if it is correct there is a decent chance of continued rapid loss of capacity followed by failure (I do not think this is likely).

Many vehicles of this year do have some weird sudden large variations for whatever reason.

Anyway 20% is definitely on the high end but it is not unheard of. It might not recover but I expect it will recover at least a few percent.

Hi all,

I purchased my 2021 M3P last june and work on the road a lot, and have put nearly 60k miles on it as of this week. I noticed a good drop last summer where my range went from 315 to about 290 and now this summer my range is down over the course of 3 weeks from almost 295 to 260. I'm getting pretty nervous about this, and was wondering if anyone had any insight as to teslas policy on the subject? I scheduled a time for them to look at it and they said it was normal but everything I see on the subject says this is way outside normal deviation.

For charging, I use superchargers frequently but generally keep the limit to 90%, otherwise I use home chargers. Any insight into whether or not this is normal and what I should expect as far as teslas warrantee on the battery should this fail would be great, I really am not in a place to drop over 10k on a new battery.

Thanks!

How is your charging schedule / daily driving-charging etc?

We have a guy on a swedish forum with a ’21 M3P that drives about 90 to 10% each day.
Before the summer holidays he was past 60K miles, I think 95K km or so. Recently he did a 100-1% drive, and the data points to at least 74kWh capacity.

He had about 74.5 är kWh when calculating via the energy app, but after a recent software upgrade he got a drop to about 72.5 kWh.

As it looks, he has about 10% degradation.

Yeah here I have a 2021 long range and it’s showing 325 miles on a full charge. (Supposed to have 353) kinda interesting that it’s losing that much that quickly. (Even though it’s probably actually not) Something is definitely weird about 2021 3s.

Yeah here I have a 2021 long range and it’s showing 325 miles on a full charge. (Supposed to have 353) kinda interesting that it’s losing that much that quickly. (Even though it’s probably actually not) Something is definitely weird about 2021 3s.

What is your charging schedule?
Charge to what SOC, drive down to what SOC? Charge daily?
What SOC does the car most often stand with when parked?

How old is the car? Delivered which month?

to switch to %. youll run out of range as 350km is in the sweetspot where you might run out of range.
Presumably people will use the trip planner and avoid this, won't they? No one uses the rated range or the Energy Consumption screen to determine how far they can travel.

% is completely fine, it just means you can't predict what the trip planner will predict (it's the cover-your-eyes approach - which is fine, to be clear). But the trip planner will predict reasonably well (assuming Tesla hasn't messed it up).

Reactions: Regaj and ucmndd
Presumably people will use the trip planner and avoid this, won't they? No one uses the rated range or the Energy Consumption screen to determine how far they can travel.

% is completely fine, it just means you can't predict what the trip planner will predict (it's the cover-your-eyes approach - which is fine, to be clear). But the trip planner will predict reasonably well (assuming Tesla hasn't messed it up).

trip planner doesnt help you if there are no chargers.

I have that issue because my car had i.e. 78kwh when it was new so i could do the 350km with ease, but now with the degradation I only have 66kwh so I actually have to slow down roll in with <5% to make it.

If it were lets say 400-450km then i wouldnt have this problem as id either have to do the trip at 70-80km/h or just charge on the way (if theres a charger availabe).

trip planner doesnt help you if there are no chargers.

I have that issue because my car had i.e. 78kwh when it was new so i could do the 350km with ease, but now with the degradation I only have 66kwh so I actually have to slow down roll in with <5% to make it.

If it were lets say 400-450km then i wouldnt have this problem as id either have to do the trip at 70-80km/h or just charge on the way (if theres a charger availabe).
Sure it does. It will still try to tell you whether you can make it, and will do a better job than the rated miles. If you can’t make it you’ll know with plenty of time to turn around and head home (assuming you aren’t cutting it very close and you don’t hit a rain and windstorm halfway through - but rated miles won’t help you there either).

Reactions: AAKEE
Uhhhh, ok?

Funny, I push my car’s range all the time and have never needed a display in distance vs. percentage to avoid running out of energy…

im sorry, but you live in california with superchargers left right and central. you dont "push" your range.

Try to put yourself in i.e. rural canada with only three phase infrequently between 350 and 500km and the odd 43kw charger and then we take it from there.

• Funny
Reactions: ucmndd
im sorry, but you live in california with superchargers left right and central. you dont "push" your range.

Try to put yourself in i.e. rural canada with only three phase infrequently between 350 and 500km and the odd 43kw charger and then we take it from there.

There is zero difference between the two display options in terms of practicality or the ability to complete a trip. None. It’s entirely personal preference. The nav telling me I’ll arrive at my destination with 2% left or 6 miles left is completely inconsequential. My reaction in either scenario is exactly the same.

I’ve driven 150,000 miles across 11 states all over the western US in a 75kwh Model S with an effective range in 2022 of about 190 miles. Coasted into a supercharger or final destination on fumes more than once. Never once thought “whew better switch my display to miles instead of % or I won’t make it!” 😆