Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 to MY upgrade advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had both and I disagree. The M3 boot is huge it just cannot take large individual items. I bought some custom luggage for mine which was the equivalent of 2 large and 2 medium suitcases and was fine for family holidays. It is also so wide that you can get a suitcase on the (flat) floor between two rear seat passengers and still leave them lots of space.
Having said that I did change from an M3 to an MY for space reasons. kids at Uni etc. And it is undoubtedly bigger and more practical BUT with the seats up I find the MY boot not as big as you think. I still cannot get 4 suitcases in it due to the slope of the tailgate so I am still using some of the M3 custom luggage.
So I don't think its as cut and dried as you make out. I liked the look and the way the M3 drove better. I also don't think there is any difference in comfort. if anything the MYLR suspension is harder than the M3LR was.
If only they had made the M3 a hatch back I think I would still be driving one.

I agree that MY are a second hand bargain but the prices you quote are irrelevant. They are the lowest prices you might sell yours for into the trade not what someone could buy one for unless you are offering to sell the Op yours for that money which I would not recommend since a one year old with that mileage would go for at least $43k on Autotrader.

I have had both and I disagree. The M3 boot is huge it just cannot take large individual items. I bought some custom luggage for mine which was the equivalent of 2 large and 2 medium suitcases and was fine for family holidays. It is also so wide that you can get a suitcase on the (flat) floor between two rear seat passengers and still leave them lots of space.
Having said that I did change from an M3 to an MY for space reasons. kids at Uni etc. And it is undoubtedly bigger and more practical BUT with the seats up I find the MY boot not as big as you think. I still cannot get 4 suitcases in it due to the slope of the tailgate so I am still using some of the M3 custom luggage.
So I don't think its as cut and dried as you make out. I liked the look and the way the M3 drove better. I also don't think there is any difference in comfort. if anything the MYLR suspension is harder than the M3LR was.
If only they had made the M3 a hatch back I think I would still be driving one.

I agree that MY are a second hand bargain but the prices you quote are irrelevant. They are the lowest prices you might sell yours for into the trade not what someone could buy one for unless you are offering to sell the Op yours for that money which I would not recommend since a one year old with that mileage would go for at least $43k on Autotrader.
My MYs have both been very much quieter than the M3s. The seats sit much higher giving a much more comfortable driving position. The hatchback makes the real difference to the boot, the opening size in the M3 makes it inadequate for family trips. No good for taking old furniture, or large appliances to the tip. I compare the MY favourably with a van!
But then each to his own.
Re second hand, I know what they are advertised for on Autotrader - it is easy to advertise but not so easy to sell any car at £40k plus unless you are a dealer.
You will find people willing to sell somewhat cheaper if they have already been quoted by Tesla, WBAC etc.

My MYs have both been very much quieter than the M3s. The seats sit much higher giving a much more comfortable driving position. The hatchback makes the real difference to the boot, the opening size in the M3 makes it inadequate for family trips. No good for taking old furniture, or large appliances to the tip. I compare the MY favourably with a van!
But then each to his own.
Re second hand, I know what they are advertised for on Autotrader - it is easy to advertise but not so easy to sell any car at £40k plus unless you are a dealer.
You will find people willing to sell somewhat cheaper if they have already been quoted by Tesla, WBAC etc.

I like my model 3 because it can't take things to the dump.

• Funny
Reactions: Cloggie
I’ve been pleasantly surprised how much you can get in the M3. I have helped my daughter move house twice and each time I took her single bed frame and mattress in the car on one of the trips.

The inability to take a chest of drawers or a computer desk type chair is frustrating but she as a hatchback for those 😀.

I don’t have an issue with ride quality in my car but I’ve deliberately chosen to have 18” wheels to help there - I always hated the runflats on BMWs and mindful of ride quality. I found the limited test drive of a MY less comfortable (and sporty).

Reactions: Jason71
thanks everyone for all the replies. We took the kids to test drive the MY last Saturday. We all enjoyed it. Noticeably quieter than our M3 and we thought suspension was better than our M3 actually.

Big plus was def more room all round for front and rear passengers, between two car seats in rear and also in boot and frunk. We would really appreciate that extra space as we camp a couple of times a year and fitting everything in even with a roof box is pretty tight even now. We're also a family that likes road trips - more flexibility and greener than flying. We went to northern Spain this year and the M3 was fine with two kids under 8 but as they grow, I'm sure we'd like more space in the car.

Insurance is double for us though - from approx £400 to £800 and, as we don't need that extra space right now, we're going to wait until the 2nd hand market is absolutely awash with MYs that we can pick and choose the one we want at the price we want in a couple of years. Our M3 will make it that far I'm sure.

Really appreciate everyone chipping in though.

Reactions: Jason71
Well that is strange cash flow optimisation.

I have a suspicion that better foldable push chair is bit cheaper than model Y :)))

yep we've always had saloons or even coupes and just bought a lightweight folding pushchair when the time came. Although we only had one at a time that needed it - it was based on the need for my wife to catch the bus as she didn't have a car at that time.

If people absolutely have to have the SUV of the pushchair world then there are knock on implications, but there are always alternatives.

I think what we've decided to do actually is go from a 2019 SR M3 to a second hand 2021 LR M3 until we're ready for a second hand MY in a few years. That way, we'll have something better to trade and will get something with a couple of years of warranty left on it as well as an upgraded spec and increased range. Seems a good compromise, but if anyone thinks that's somehow flawed, please speak up!

Reactions: Doudeau
I think what we've decided to do actually is go from a 2019 SR M3 to a second hand 2021 LR M3 until we're ready for a second hand MY in a few years. That way, we'll have something better to trade and will get something with a couple of years of warranty left on it as well as an upgraded spec and increased range. Seems a good compromise, but if anyone thinks that's somehow flawed, please speak up!
I assume we are just talking general warrantee not battery? in which case financially speaking you would be better off holding on to the current M3 putting the money you were going to spend on the 2021 edition in the bank and either getting an extended warranty or chancing it on nothing expensive going wrong which it probably won't or if it does it will be less than you will spend changing to 2021 model.
Then when you do switch to an MY at some point, overall you will end up spending less having not driven a pricier car in the mean time
BUT
It sounds to me as if someone wants a new toy one way or the other and who am I to argue with that 🤣

Well, it's the long range model we're after. The two things we want more of are range and space. The space we can manage without for a few years until the boys are older, but we could do with the range in the meantime. Does that make your argument less persuasive?

Does that make your argument less persuasive?

I think there is a lot of difference between SR and LR - but only on those journeys where it matters. One of my Sprogs went from SR to LR and said it is "much easier to manage". The initial objection to LR was driving a car, "any car", of that value.

You have some contingency - e.g. 30 miles. That is more significant on a smaller battery

The LR bigger battery means you can do more journeys without a charging-stop.

If you are a little bit out of range the LR will need a splash-and-dash, the SR will need a longer stop. (But you are close to the mileage where a proper stop would be beneficial for the Driver too ... excepting that some such journeys are out-and-back, and you had a decent stop when you were at your destination.

On a longer journey - e.g. to South of France - you journey is Drive - Charge - Drive. The Drive legs are, potentially, longer in LR but in reality the Superchargers are where-they-are. With LR you may be able to leap-frog, and with SR you might have to charge to 100% (top end being a slow charge) to to be able to complete a particularly long leg (until a new Supercharger is added, mid-way)

Also, some Winter journeys which are less than max-summer-range are OK in LR but iffy / not possible in SR

LR is less likely to fully recharge (from Empty to Full) in a short e.g. 4 hour Off Peak slot. Obviously can re-fuel over two night, provided not having back-to-back 200+ mile days.

But ... "only on those journeys where it matters"

I've always felt that I would keep a LR for a long time, and a few % of battery degradation would be no big deal, but would be more of an issue on the smaller battery. Having said that I then traded to a newer module when the PX was high, and I can see myself wanting the new model when it comes out, so my logic is clearly flawed.

One consideration is to wait for the forthcoming Model Y facelift, expected next year and similar to the recent "Highland" facelift of the Model 3. In my view the improvements are noteworthy.

Since you are not in urgent need of a new car, it is easy for you to wait a bit longer. Even saves you a bit of money in the long run.

I know you said you wanted extra space and range .. but book a test drive in the revised M3. I must confess I haven't been following the updates so closely, however I can say there's a difference between our 4 year old M3 (it was one of the first with the black window trims) and our brand new M3. It's definitely quieter!
Totally subjective however our M3 seats seem more comfortable. I know that people say they're the same maybe that's true but the M3 feels more comfortable somehow. Then there's the outside. I just can't get on with the plastic all around the exterior of the MY. I prefer paint on metal, so I prefer the M3.
Other minor points about the MY...
I'm not quite tall enough to wash the roof properly :)
The extra 3 inches width is quite noticeable on some roads and parking spaces so extra attention is needed.
The rear view is tiresome for me. There's seems to be a bigger difference between the rear view and side mirrors, making me doubt a little when changing lanes. I don't know if this is fact but my driving style is definitely affected. M3 feels more natural.
I find getting our harder in the Y as I have to twist on the seat then hop out. In the 3 I just stick my leg out to the floor which is easier.
My dogs can't jump in and out themselves as they are unsure about the extra height in the Y. I can to lift them in and out. In the 3 they're fine.
Weight transfer is definitely more noticeable in the Y. Hasn't caused an actual issue but I do feel I'm in van mode not car mode. I jus prefer sitting lower.
To your points....
Long range RWD might work for you. It handles great and has the longest range of all. It's cheaper than the AWD. Premium audio Vs standard isn't so noticeable.
Roof box might work for storage if really needed. Or even small trailer.

But overall I'd be guided by finances and choose whatever works for you at the time

Happy teslaring