Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 bad repair experience, non-Tesla repair shop

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wrecked my side mirror and dented the side plate when backing into the garage door while in a hurry last week. It’s my first accident so Im not well familarized with the repair process.

E381F75D-A1A2-4BFF-A89C-B68904B7FBE1.jpeg

E9B18110-9595-465A-8D18-DB0791CE3581.jpeg

When the insurance agent arrived 20 minutes later to inspect the damage I asked if we should call Tesla service center but he insisted to send the car to their “partner repair shop”, and I regret it now but I just let them handle it.

Is this normal in your experience or should you always be able to send the car to the official Tesla service center instead of some other repair shop that’s partnered with the insurance company?

Likely this repair partner was cheaper (although I don’t know what Tesla service center would have cost) but I had to pay the max deductible of $500 anyways so I wouldn’t have paid more for sending it to Tesla service center.

UPDATE

I have two issues since getting the car back:

1) the side mirror looks different than I recall, I created a thread here to check with any M3 owners that has the original mirror.

2) I discovered today that the side mirror suddenly does not fold out I assume it’s a loose wire. When they returned the car it all worked but today which is the first time I was actually going to drive the car since the repair, it doesn’t fold out at all. I see many threads about similar issue but clicking the fold/unfold button or doing a soft reset does not resolve it for me, the mirror just appear stuck.

I will contact the repair shop about this first thing on Monday.

So yeah, I really regret that I did not insist that the insurance company sent it to the Tesla service center.

How would you guys have handed it? Are you only letting Tesla service center touch your car? Should we always be able to insist that the insurance company send it to Tesla service center and not some shop of their choice?

Is this normal in your experience or should you always be able to send the car to the official Tesla service center instead of some other repair shop that’s partnered with the insurance company?

You need to look into your countries rules on this. In the US you can take the car wherever you want to and insurance companies are not supposed to try to steer you anywhere (but they can mention they have specific shops they work with). No idea what its like in the country under your name (Seoul).