Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lug nuts or lug bolts?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

EVer Hopeful

Jul 7, 2021
Texas
I've never taken a wheel off or rotated the tyres on the Y, but I figured it was about time I gave it a go, so I'm going to order the lifting puck. I noticed AO also sell a guide for aligning the wheels when re-mounting, but if you look at the picture they show, the wheel seems to have fixed bolts that you can remove ... have to remove if you use the guides. How would you even remove them?

1700839501094.png

I've done brake jobs before, so Iunderstand you can remove the rotor, but those bolts would be fixed to the hub right?

Maybe I'm overthinking this . . .

if you look at the picture they show, the wheel seems to have fixed bolts that you can remove ... have to remove if you use the guides. How would you even remove them?
I think you may be missing a key point here:
This wheel mounting guide does not replace any of the five studs. It has a female thread that allows it to attach directly to the (topmost) stud when you are trying to lift and position the wheel into place.

I find it to be extremely helpful, saves a lot of time and muscle effort, no need to hold up the heavy tire /wheel while attempting to align it over the five studs. You just hang the wheel, then you can relax while you slide it into place and do initial fit of up to four lug nuts. Then unscrew the guide and replace it with the fifth lug nut.

The photo you reproduced shows two of these guides, but in practice you really only need one. In fact I think the second one might defeat the purpose because it would require simultaneous alignment of two holes with the two guides, almost as difficult as the original problem. If I had two of them, I would simply put one on each wheel on that side of the car when rotating tires, not two on one wheel.

In any case, I highly recommend this guide tool.