Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ludicrous Upgrade Scheduling?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's kind of harsh, don't you think?

The people that many of us consider experts in this stuff--posters like lolachampcar and fiksegts--are pretty humble, and I don't think either of them have ever come close to referring to themselves as an expert. I actually can't think of too many posters here who the "self-proclaimed expert" tag would correctly apply to.

Points taken .... however no where did I refer to any single persons ... or imply your two experts were anything but .... I have no idea how you got from point A to point B ....my post was simply thanking yomama for his enthusium and gut level feelings .... in lieu of the on and on and on posts on some of these issues (more power to those who enjoy that, it's a big world, and a big board) .... I personally enjoy that perspective more that the decimal point approach ... so i stand by my post .. and actually think your post was kinda harsh ... you think?

Sneaking a post in here. I've been traveling on vacation and promised my wife I'd stay off the forums. There will be hell to pay if she catches me :scared:

I'd really like to see more REST "power" data collected with these runs.

On my P85D 60% SOC maxes out at 367 KW and 70% SOC maxes out at 381KW.

So far, the one before and after reading of a P85D at 90% is 414KW (before) and 425KW (after). So in the previous video, that would put the difference at about 25KW that would put a SOC 60% P85D without L at 367KW vs a 70% SOC P85DL with L at 392KW with 14KW (18.7 hp) of that being the difference in SOC alone and the other 11KW (14.7 hp) being due to the L upgrade.

Would sure love to see the same with both at the same SOC and collecting REST data at the same time.

Still, my hopes are high. 33 hp difference doesn't seem like it would account for the difference in acceleration. I think you'd need double that horsepower to account for the difference. We need some vbox data :)

Last edited:

Model50-80 mph60-85 mph
P85D Insane3.4 seconds3.3 seconds
P85D Ludicrous2.9 seconds2.7 seconds

From figures already seen and recorded on this site

Model50-70 mph70-90 mph
P85D Insane1.65 seconds2.5 seconds

They don't match but if they were all accurate it would mean 70-80 would be 1.75s and therefore 80-90 0.75s (all p85d)

Also on the tests we"vie seen so far (and I think they were drag times numbers), 70-80 would be slightly less than half the 2.5s one but let's go with half - 1.25 - which would mean 50-80 is 2.9s (1.65 + 1.25) same as p85d ludicrous.

Two thoughts on that, a, it's hard to get accurate numbers consistently and b, maybe the performance is just more readily available?

Guess this also makes me a thin neck.

Model50-80 mph60-85 mph

From figures already seen and recorded on this site

Model50-70 mph70-90 mph
P85D Insane1.65 seconds2.5 seconds

They don't match but if they were all accurate it would mean 70-80 would be 1.75s and therefore 80-90 0.75s (all p85d)

Also on the tests we"vie seen so far (and I think they were drag times numbers), 70-80 would be slightly less than half the 2.5s one but let's go with half - 1.25 - which would mean 50-80 is 2.9s (1.65 + 1.25) same as p85d ludicrous.

Two thoughts on that, a, it's hard to get accurate numbers consistently and b, maybe the performance is just more readily available?

Guess this also makes me a thin neck.

My best 70-90 with my vbox was 3.08 seconds at 68% and 3 seconds at 90%. There was a chart with 2.4 seconds in it but I seriously doubt that was real.

So 3.3 for 60 to 85 at 70% seems perfectly in line.

We really need some vbox data :) I'll be back in the Bay Area after Thanksgiving to hand off the vbox to yo mama and thimel.

Last edited:
Points taken .... however no where did I refer to any single persons ... or imply your two experts were anything but .... I have no idea how you got from point A to point B ....my post was simply thanking yomama for his enthusium and gut level feelings .... in lieu of the on and on and on posts on some of these issues (more power to those who enjoy that, it's a big world, and a big board) .... I personally enjoy that perspective more that the decimal point approach ... so i stand by my post .. and actually think your post was kinda harsh ... you think?

I don't think my post was harsh at all.

The fact that you didn't refer to any individual people doesn't change the fact that you referred to some of the posters here who contribute valuable information as "self-proclaimed experts." These experts add a lot of value for those of us that can learn from them. Referring to them as "self-proclaimed experts" is insulting to them. You don't need to name individuals for it to be insulting.

The fact that you didn't refer to any individual people doesn't change the fact that you referred to some of the posters here who contribute valuable information as "self-proclaimed experts." These experts add a lot of value for those of us that can learn from them. Referring to them as "self-proclaimed experts" is insulting to them. You don't need to name individuals for it to be insulting.
O.K. Andy ... just move on guy .....

Come on now people, we're here to have fun - whether you like it or not. So don't make me turn this P85DL around and go home! Because MarcG and I (mostly MarcG) slaved for many dozens of minutes to bring this too you and I don't want to see our efforts end in tears (mostly mine).

Come on now people, we're here to have fun - whether you like it or not. So don't make me turn this P85DL around and go home! Because MarcG and I (mostly MarcG) slaved for many dozens of minutes to bring this too you and I don't want to see our efforts end in tears (mostly mine).

Exactly .... and I'm in this thread because of your efforts ... and if I did "insult" anyone it wasn't my intention ...

Exactly .... and I'm in this thread because of your efforts ... and if I did "insult" anyone it wasn't my intention ...

O.K. Andy ... just move on guy .....

Well, that's pretty inappropriate, in light of the fact that I was responding to a direct question that you asked me. Above you acknowledge that it was not your intention to insult anyone. That's good. I accomplished something then, because if I had not called you out on your comment about "self-proclaimed experts" the people here who make such valuable contributions may have correctly felt insulted. That is an insulting term. These contributors add value for all of us. I'm not going to sit idly by and allow them to be insulted without calling out the person doing the insulting.

In this case you have now acknowledged that it was not your intention to insult them, so all's well. Thank you.

Well, that's pretty inappropriate, in light of the fact that I was responding to a direct question that you asked me. Above you acknowledge that it was not your intention to insult anyone. That's good. I accomplished something then, because if I had not called you out on your comment about "self-proclaimed experts" the people here who make such valuable contributions may have correctly felt insulted. That is an insulting term. These contributors add value for all of us. I'm not going to sit idly by and allow them to be insulted without calling out the person doing the insulting.

In this case you have now acknowledged that it was not your intention to insult them, so all's well. Thank you.

That good andy .. thats progress .... have a nice evening .....

Sneaking a post in here. I've been traveling on vacation and promised my wife I'd stay off the forums. There will be hell to pay if she catches me :scared:

I'd really like to see more REST "power" data collected with these runs.

On my P85D 60% SOC maxes out at 367 KW and 70% SOC maxes out at 381KW.

So far, the one before and after reading of a P85D at 90% is 414KW (before) and 425KW (after). So in the previous video, that would put the difference at about 25KW that would put a SOC 60% P85D without L at 367KW vs a 70% SOC P85DL with L at 392KW with 14KW (18.7 hp) of that being the difference in SOC alone and the other 11KW (14.7 hp) being due to the L upgrade.

Would sure love to see the same with both at the same SOC and collecting REST data at the same time.

Still, my hopes are high. 33 hp difference doesn't seem like it would account for the difference in acceleration. I think you'd need double that horsepower to account for the difference. We need some vbox data :)

Quick question for you: what REST client do you use to measure power?

I've been using VisibleTesla (VT for short) for almost a year, but have rarely seen my P85D report power over 400 kW.

I do get battery current to peak at 1300A once in a blue moon, if VT happens to catch it at the right time, as in the first screenshot below. But you'll notice that power (the gray lines) aren't even close to 400kW in this example.

In the second screenshot below, I did catch one instance of the power going a hair above 400 kW. But those are far and few between, so I'm wondering if there's another tool that can better capture true power?

1300 Amps.jpg

402 kW.png

Last edited:
SPOILER ALERT!! :biggrin:

If you haven't watched the video above, the table below will summarize the acceleration tests we ran:

Model50-80 mph60-85 mph

This is the information I was looking for, thanks to MarcG and Yo Mama for putting it together. While I realize there is more to come as others get the upgrade, test with VBOX, get data from the REST API, etc - I'm sold.

I am a car guy and have done all kinds of tuner mods to past P-cars and BMWs (exhaust, headers, cats, ECU, intakes, etc.). These results (if even close) are exceptional improvements given the $5K cost.

Tesla communication is confusing at best, but when the rubber meets the road I find myself impressed with the results. AP was a solid win and now the upgrade is too. Can't wait to hear that some folks outside of Fremont are scheduled for upgrades. My guess is that Nashville isn't high on the priority list!

Yo Mama, know that there are folks on here...myself included, that really do appreciate you and Marc G's effort on this. Thanks a bunch and don't let the few bad ones deter your intentions....thanks again!!!!

Yo Mama, know that there are folks on here...myself included, that really do appreciate you and Marc G's effort on this. Thanks a bunch and don't let the few bad ones deter your intentions....thanks again!!!!

I had thanked yo mama pretty profusely a couple of times for the work he did. I was having a discussion with a poster who referred to the experts here as "self-proclaimed experts", and that poster took a pretty negative attitude towards me. yo mama was posting, I think, hoping to get that poster to turn things around. I do not appreciate your implication that I am one of the "few bad ones."

So who is next up for the upgrade? Didn't I see earlier that someone else was dropping their car off soon?

Post 134 in this thread, posted yesterday:

I dropped my car off in Fremont this morning to get the Ludicrous upgrade. I'm number two. Quite excited.

They wanted it with a low charge. I may have gone overboard, but gave it to them with a 6% charge. That is lower than I have ever been before. After my drive last night to run it down a bit, I had 42 range miles left. When I put it in park I got a (new to me) warning on the center console that the range would be even less when the battery was cold and I should charge the car. This morning it showed 31 range miles. EvTripPlanner said I needed 22 to get to Fremont so I only suffered from mild range anxiety.

I've borrowed Pete90D's PowerBox and bought powertools and will take measurements as soon as I get it back.

Plus, thimel appears to have secured a vbox buddy. I believe Sorka has agreed to be my vbox Sherpa guide. So we should have a lot more data coming in a week or two. Not sure that anything will affect my visceral reaction to the improved car at this point but I know that, for many folks here, math matters.

Minor update: I was able to figure out how to enable "max power" but it didn't make much difference this morning. My best power output thus far has been 425kw, which was ironically without max power. 418kwk is regularly achievable without any special effort.