Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LTE upgrade is on the way

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not seeing browser improvements, either - and (as pointed out upthread) a way to test that is to put your car on good Wi-Fi. If the browser doesn't improve when on Wi-Fi, 3G vs. LTE isn't going to help you. My experience is that the browser just sucks rocks regardless of whether there's 1 Gbps to the car or 1 Mbps to the car.

This matches my experience. LTE helps google maps redraws quite a bit, and slacker but to a lessor amount. The browser just sucks.

I was quoted $500 at Dallas service center too and have an appointment for tomorrow to get the retrofit. Been waiting so long for this. Total first world problem but man 3G is so painful right now with browser. Will report back on experience post upgrade.

I was quoted $500 at Dallas service center too and have an appointment for tomorrow to get the retrofit. Been waiting so long for this. Total first world problem but man 3G is so painful right now with browser. Will report back on experience post upgrade.
I hope you're not doing the upgrade thinking you will get faster web browsing, or you will be disappointed.

So TuneIn refuses to work through the upgraded LTE interface, but works just fine through WiFi. Everything else, remote link, Slacker, Navi, browser seems to work fine through the LTE. Contacted Tesla and they have collected logs.

The LTE upgrade may also replace the Bluetooth interface as I had to pair my phone with the car again after the upgrade was performed. If that is the case then wonder what protocol version the Bluetooth interface is now and if it supports uncompressed audio.

Last edited:
So TuneIn refuses to work through the upgraded LTE interface, but works just fine through WiFi. Everything else, remote link, Slacker, Navi, browser seems to work fine through the LTE. Contacted Tesla and they have collected logs.

The LTE upgrade may also replace the Bluetooth interface as I had to pair my phone with the car again after the upgrade was performed. If that is the case then wonder what protocol version the Bluetooth interface is now and if it supports uncompressed audio.

Any way of checking the Bluetooth hardware info?

Just an update. TuneIn radio is working this morning through the LTE interface. Refreshing the station listings may take a few tries, but eventually they show up. Not sure if anything was done overnight.

As far as a possible Bluetooth upgrade to 4.x as part of the LTE, that doesn't seem to be the case as the Tesla Model S does not show up with low energy scan (BT 4). I'm not an expert. Still it is peculiar why the car forgot about my phone, but it remembered my WiFi access point. It may be easier to just ask Tesla if Bluetooth is part of the LTE module.

Every once in a while my MS forgets about my phone and I have to re-pair it.

I have my personal phone and work phone paired to the car. 90% of the time, I have both of them with me. 99% of the time, I have my personal phone with me, 1% of the time I have neither phone with me. Still, every once in a while, my MS will connect with my work phone. I notice when Waze announces road events through the phone's speaker instead of bluetooth. I figure its a rare enough event that I just won't let it bother me.

Still on 2g on the Nissan Leaf, waiting for Nissan's upgrade offer but they haven't said when it will happen, just sometime before AT&T kills 2G at end of 2016.

I'll post back when I learn the details. I'm wondering if it will be a 3g or LTE upgrade and how much it will cost.

Model S and Leaf are both charging for this upgrade does any one know of another car that has a similar radio upgrade cost?

I have my personal phone and work phone paired to the car. 90% of the time, I have both of them with me. 99% of the time, I have my personal phone with me, 1% of the time I have neither phone with me. Still, every once in a while, my MS will connect with my work phone. I notice when Waze announces road events through the phone's speaker instead of bluetooth. I figure its a rare enough event that I just won't let it bother me.

Same here. I think it just latches on to whatever phone it "sees" first.

- - - Updated - - -

Model S and Leaf are both charging for this upgrade does any one know of another car that has a similar radio upgrade cost?

My buddy has a fairly new Buick and they are upgrading his 3G based OnStar to LTE including the WiFi hotspot capability at no cost. I had a similar experience about 9 years ago with an OnStar analog to 3G upgrade done at no cost. The difference is that OnStar is a subscription service and the ongoing fees likely cover the cost to GM.

I wonder if any of you had the LTE antenna drop to 3G or Edge? In areas without LTE...

I've had it drop from 3G to Edge on our 2013 in our cross country drive and I would guess that there are locations in the country that are still in 3G or Edge and want to make sure I still have that if I opt for this upgrade.

I wonder if any of you had the LTE antenna drop to 3G or Edge? In areas without LTE...

I've had it drop from 3G to Edge on our 2013 in our cross country drive and I would guess that there are locations in the country that are still in 3G or Edge and want to make sure I still have that if I opt for this upgrade.

Yep. Driving from DC to SC, I had a few spots where LTE dropped to 3G. Don't remember any Edge though, but it might've happened.

Yes, it will drop to 3G. Happens VERY rarely in my experience, but it will. It will also drop to EDGE if required, although we all know that experience.