Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LTE upgrade is on the way

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What makes you think it may not work in the US? The card is through a US network which roams to Canada. It would be bonkers if it didn't work in its own local zone.

Isn't it currently the case that Canadian cars can roam to the US, but US cars can't roam to Canada? I'd assume the new card would behave the same way.

My U.S. based 85D was just upgraded to LTE a few days ago, and I'm currently in Canada roaming on LTE successfully.

My U.S. based 85D was just upgraded to LTE a few days ago, and I'm currently in Canada roaming on LTE successfully.

My US 85d with 3g roamed just fine in Canada, worked just like the US.

Good to hear! I always thought it was a bit crazy to not have cross-border data, since so many of the cars' convenience features depend on it.

For those folks running the LTE upgrade: Did Tesla design their cellular modem/antenna to be backwards compatible with 3G? Pretty sure this is standard practice, but just want to make sure there aren't any cases where the coverage would actually be worse.

For those folks running the LTE upgrade: Did Tesla design their cellular modem/antenna to be backwards compatible with 3G? Pretty sure this is standard practice, but just want to make sure there aren't any cases where the coverage would actually be worse.

Yes, where LTE is not available but HSPA+ is, the car will display "3G". It will even back to EDGE in case that's all that's available.

What makes you think it may not work in the US? The card is through a US network which roams to Canada. It would be bonkers if it didn't work in its own local zone.

Isn't it currently the case that Canadian cars can roam to the US, but US cars can't roam to Canada? I'd assume the new cars would behave the same way.

Before Tesla renegotiated its data plan, US cars did not roam in Canada. That is no longer the case. However, there will likely come a day when Tesla uses Canadian sims and perhaps roaming will be disabled on those sim cards. I was wondering if that day came with LTE. Fortunately, it did not.

When the LTE upgrade is installed, is the metal trim around the 17-inch display removed?

I ask because that trim was slightly damaged on my car by the installer that installed the front camera switch. I had inquired some time ago, and the part itself is not particularly expensive. I believe the cost was about $130 or so. (I could be off by some, but it was definitely more than $100 and less than $200.) I'm thinking that the labor to install this should be minimal or non-existent if it is done at the same time as the LTE upgrade. I say minimal if access to the metal trim is easily achieved during the installation, but the trim is not actually removed. I would think if the trim is removed, replacing it with the same, but non-damaged part should not have an additional labor cost, so that my only cost would be the part.

So...thoughts from those that know exactly what is involved in the upgrade would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Andy, it is my understanding that they have to remove the screen to get at the 3g Module. That would by necessity require the removal of the trim.

Yes. They have to pull it, so they could easily replace it with no additional labor cost.

Thanks very much. I thought that was the case, but wanted to be certain. I appreciate the responses.

When the LTE upgrade is installed, is the metal trim around the 17-inch display removed?

I ask because that trim was slightly damaged on my car by the installer that installed the front camera switch. I had inquired some time ago, and the part itself is not particularly expensive. I believe the cost was about $130 or so. (I could be off by some, but it was definitely more than $100 and less than $200.) I'm thinking that the labor to install this should be minimal or non-existent if it is done at the same time as the LTE upgrade. I say minimal if access to the metal trim is easily achieved during the installation, but the trim is not actually removed. I would think if the trim is removed, replacing it with the same, but non-damaged part should not have an additional labor cost, so that my only cost would be the part.

So...thoughts from those that know exactly what is involved in the upgrade would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Andy -

Ironically, I had a small indentation on the same metal trim around the 17" screen. I asked if it could be buffed out when I brought my MS in for the LTE upgrade. I was told it could not be buffed out, but, wait for it, Tesla replaced the trim at no cost!!! They told me it was around $240 and the service manager okayed it since the installation took longer than expected (I was the first to have the retrofit done at my service center). Sending positive thoughts your way...

Andy -

Ironically, I had a small indentation on the same metal trim around the 17" screen. I asked if it could be buffed out when I brought my MS in for the LTE upgrade. I was told it could not be buffed out, but, wait for it, Tesla replaced the trim at no cost!!! They told me it was around $240 and the service manager okayed it since the installation took longer than expected (I was the first to have the retrofit done at my service center). Sending positive thoughts your way...

Thanks!

I have two, barely noticeable indentations, but now that I know they are there, I see notice them all the time!

OK so I think the upgrade was totally worth it. Web pages load faster, maps and google earth tiles also load faster.
I live in an area with sketchy cell service and quite often when my iPhone shows no service I still have LTE working in the car, pages still load and I hold calls longer. I was skeptical that maybe it was just showing bars but not still connected but I could still surf and talk.

- - - Updated - - -

attachment.php?attachmentid=91879&d=1440550605.jpg
attachment.php?attachmentid=91880&d=1440550624.jpg

This is the speed test on my phone and the Model S browser in the same spot