Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Low Mileage Drivers - Seeking Input

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife drives a Volt 17 miles each way to work and almost never uses gas... she loves it. I have a Model S and work from home but we take it for everything else (5k miles in 4 months). It's a wonderful and amazing car.

You have to ask yourself what you're looking for in a car. If you just want a car for around town that's an EV go with a Volt. If you want to have the most amazing car then buy the Model S.

I don't yet have my Model S so I can't comment on issues/complaints, however I don't have a regular daily commute so generally I expect to be a low mileage Model S driver like others here. I am hoping to take more road trips now and then so hopefully that'll offset it a bit.

The Model S will replace a very old car - a car that is fun to drive but is long overdue for replacement and being driven less and less due to reliability, high maintenance costs and premium gas expense. I was originally planning to replace it with another ICE vehicle (had to be another fun car to drive), but I'd been following the developments at Tesla for a couple years and when the 70D came out the idea of going gas-free became really appealing. Two test drives and several more months of research in between convinced me the time was now. And yes, it's a fun car to drive

BTW - if after your first test drive you're still unconvinced, see if you can arrange an overnight test drive - it was really useful for me, to be able to drive all around the typical places I'd go, not just the short little drive around the Tesla Store area. Taking it home and doing a garage fit was also essential, since the S is much bigger than my old car. I checked out how home charging would work (for now, I only have 110V in my garage), and I also gave a couple of the local free public charging stations a try. All valuable little hints of how it would be to own a Model S.

While I wait for delivery of my MS, one question I'd like to add, hopefully not too OT but still of interest to the OP:
those of you who are low mileage drivers - what is the consensus about Tesla's service plans? worth it, or not? do you take the car once a year, or just every other year? thx

Unless you have a crystal ball and know somehow you will never be in a Motor Vehicle Accident, I would buy it just for being the safest car ever! This car has saved lives in California, just the past couple weeks! My commute is 10 miles per week day and on the weekends I used to drive maybe 100 miles to get out into Nature to take my Photo Images. I would burn a lot of gas taking those Beautiful Landscapes. Since December 2013, all my Photography has been Zero Emission and Guilt Free Photography. Safety, Zero Emissions, smoothest Acceleration ever, Beautiful Interior Aesthetics, Updates and Guilt Free Photography. Plus my Kids friends just love it when they hear that Dr. Guest's Tesla is on it's way and will be the one picking them taking them anywhere. Thanks for the ride in your Space Car! :) The list goes on and on....

If you just want a car for around town that's an EV go with a Volt.
I'll buy a hybrid (where engine = 100% electric, with an ICE generator to replenish battery) right after they figure out how to start making gasoline to refill the tank once the battery once is full. I'm about to take the Drive of Shame to the gas station for the annual snowblower fill-up... this would save me from that.

To the OP... you asked if a Tesla was "overkill". Hell No. How much safety is "overkill"? Not only in crash resistance... but driving abilities: do you have expressway onramps? Even in the least powerful MS, you are not going to EVER have a problem merging. What about autopilot-like features? Again, not just letting it drive for you, but letting a computer react to road hazards faster than you can. Drifters (and other controlled evolutions) aside, I don't know anyone that thinks ABS is a bad idea. The computer(s) *IS* (are) faster than you. Cargo carrying capacity? Meh! I can fit more than most SUVs do nowdays if I fold the back seats down. Hold about as much if I leave them up.

There will very likely be times where you WILL need a longer trip... why bother with an ICE just for that? Eventually, gas stations will be far less prevalent than EV stations... the SC network, especially when coupled with other charging stations (I assume "CA" = California for your location?) is second to none, you will be fine, and you can drive ANYWHERE you want. It is just a matter of time before we get a CCS2 adapter, and then you can literally charge from any station on the continent... what would a Volt do if you plugged a 50KW CHAdeMO into it? (Yes, I know the plug won't fit...)

If you can afford a Tesla- some can't, I understand this all too well- it is by far the future of automotive technology. There may be options in the future, but right now, it is ORDERS OF MAGNITUDE above others. I have NEVER second guessed the purchase (despite the elsewhere-debated 691HPgate) and would do it again.

Hope that helps.

I telecommute most days, so really only use the Tesla for picking up the kids from school, errands, and weekend outings with the family. I've driven just about 1,000 miles in 2.5 months. My wife has a 30 mile daily commute and drives a BMW i3. The Model S is a better all around car, but the i3 is a better city car (much more nimble, easier to maneuver and park in tight spaces, and higher seating position). If I didn't find a good deal on my CPO Model S, it would have been hard for me to justify the purchase of the Model S in my circumstances. All that said, I love the Model S, and say go for it if it fits your budget. It's such a pleasure to drive, and the Tesla service is phenomenal.

I don't think an ev with 200 miles + range is overkill for short range drives. Just as I don't think gas cars with 200 miles + gas tanks are overkill for short range drives.
+1 my range on a full tank of gas in my current ICE car is about the range of a fully charged Tesla. I drive less than 10 miles each day but would still get a Tesla due to these conveniences : a)never having to stop by a gas station - I can charge every night at home b)never having to get oil changes c) never having to get emissions tested and a host of other conveniences.

something much less tangible that OP have mentioned: the Tesla smile. :biggrin:

Just a further note, if I buy a Tesla it'll be a CPO. Some P85s are now going under $70K. I can live without autopilot and other options that an early model won't have. I'd plan to keep the car at least though the CPO warranty and maybe through the remainder of the battery warranty (8yrs on the 85 kWh).

If I chose the other EV or EV/Hybrid options I'd probably lease. The Volt and Tesla can be leased for about $300/month or less. That's at least half the monthly cost of a CPO Tesla with financing and a hefty down payment. So overall cost is a factor here as well; not driven by affordability but rather time value of money and investment opportunities.

One of the biggest problems with trying to gauge whether a Tesla is right for you, or what Tesla to get is owning a Tesla CHANGES how you drive.

My commute roundtrip is just under 20 miles, and yet I somehow managed to put 10K miles on my car within the first 4 months. Now those were summer months so I definitely expect it to tapper off quite a bit, but all in all I'm going to have a hard time keeping it under the 15K miles/per year that's my goal.

For me the problem is those pesky superchargers that charge my car for free, and the amount of leisure time I have (224 hours of use it or lose it vacation a year).

Life is rough.

As to what specific Tesla I would highly advise AutoPilot hardware as the priority over range/speed, once you have that then go for range/speed. It's not just adaptive cruise control and lane centering, but it's also emergency braking.

I do not commute, I'm retired and drive around 10,000 a year and love my car. I have had it for 2 1/2 years and just today I was driving with the stereo playing the Stones and said to myself how lucky am I to be able to have this car and drive it everyday. Everyday feels like the first day of ownership, my wife and I make up places to go for lunch just to drive this thing.

I drive less than 6K miles per year... Some days each week, zero miles... and I have a brand new S90D I took delivery of last month. Previous posters cover most of the considerations... The list could go on-and-on, but off the top of my head, here's mine:

Size
-- if you need it to haul people or just a bunch of stuff, MS can do it, unlike the other big name EVs. MS is physically massive, so that can also be a disadvantage if you prefer to drive a compact.

Amenities
-- if you are used to, or just want luxury appointments and options like what you may be used to with Lexus or MBZ, Tesla competes well; Other EVs are much more comparative with mass-marketed $20K+ ICE vehicles, not $50K+ luxury brands that MS plays with

Cost, Range, & Battery Life -- There are many other threads on this, with as many opinions. For perspective, I drove 2 different Lexus RX Hybrids for 10 years (since 12/2005 when they became available in the US) before purchasing my MS:

• With my relatively low annual mileage, I couldn't justify the additional cost of owning a hybrid with what I saved in gas; The same may be said with some EVs and their initial cost, even if charging them with electricity may not seem like it costs a lot in comparison (gas is still over $3.50 for premium at many places where I live in So Cal). If you are on-the-road and need a charge, remember Tesla Superchargers are free for life -- unlike all competition today. Just as with my former hybrids, there is no way I can personally cost justify my MS based on the miles I drive each year.
  • Short commutes with any ICE or most any EV will likely not be a problem ...but do you occasionally take longer trips where some of the other EVs may take multiple charges to reach your destination, and depending on the model, may take a very long time to charge at each stop? MS has a huge leg up on range compared to competitive EVs -- other brands and the press speculate what others may have in future years, but Tesla is there today. While CHAdeMO is fast for EVs that use that charging interface (MS optionally can) -- not all do. Tesla can be really fast to charge, e.g. about 170mi in 30 mins at a Supercharger when you're on the road, or I can completely charge my 90D (~255 mi rated range) in about 5 hours at home with it's optional dual chargers and my 80-amp circuit. Again, I have very low average daily mileage -- but I do take occassional trips of 150+ miles where I want to go 70MPH most of it and not have to stop anywhere for refueling or recharging, and I do sometimes take road trips where I want to do 300-400 miles/day. I chose not to maintain a 2nd (ICE) vehicle for those relatively few road trips. I also don't want a huge hassle with excessive time to charge along the way that I'm not used to -- hence why I spent the extra money (that is nearly impossible to cost justify) on my 90D vs the smaller battery in a 70 or 85... Fortunately, Tesla provides options depending on your needs and desire.
  • Before you buy another EV, be sure you investigate how satisfied people are with battery life, it's warranty, and expected lifespan, especially if you live or frequent more extreme temps for extended durations. I won't go into that any more here -- you can research and draw your own conclusion, but IMHO, nothing beats Tesla tech TODAY when it comes to it's battery life and 8-year warranty (that covers practically any failure beyond you physically damaging it in a wreck or taking a screwdriver or sledge hammer to it).

Fun -- If you're into performance and have the dollars, no other EV has ludicrous mode. I like fun, but have no need to practically go supersonic as some do, and honestly, pressing my foot down on a long on-ramp going 0-60 in 4.2secs is pretty dang awesome in my 90D. IMHO, other EVs don't compete with the fun factor any of Tesla's models offer.

Good luck with your test drive, and good luck with your decision.

I did the test drive last weekend to confirm my suspicions that I'd really like the car. I test drove a new 90D. I ended up buying a CPO P85 (2013) and will pick it up later this week. I'm sure I'll be hanging around the forum more as I get to know the car.

Thanks everyone for the input.

We own a LEAF and a Model S. We use the LEAF for all the "abusive" miles we put on our cars -- all the little trips around town, to work (which is <10 miles for each of us), out to dinner and back, all that stuff.

From an economic standpoint, you can pick up a used LEAF for less than $10,000 now, and it's nearly free to operate. Someone else has eaten most of the depreciation, so you're basically driving a car for nothing. You're already aware of what that car can actually do, so if a 2012 or 2013 LEAF solves your transportation problem, it's the cheapest thing in the world to drive ;-)

That said, the *experience* of the two is night and day, and no one in their right mind would tell you not to get a Tesla ;-)

I bought the Model S, but if we ever lose the company car then a Leaf or a Volt will be added at that time. We use the company car for all of the "abusive" miles.

We own a LEAF and a Model S. We use the LEAF for all the "abusive" miles we put on our cars -- all the little trips around town, to work (which is <10 miles for each of us), out to dinner and back, all that stuff.

From an economic standpoint, you can pick up a used LEAF for less than $10,000 now, and it's nearly free to operate. Someone else has eaten most of the depreciation, so you're basically driving a car for nothing. You're already aware of what that car can actually do, so if a 2012 or 2013 LEAF solves your transportation problem, it's the cheapest thing in the world to drive ;-)

That said, the *experience* of the two is night and day, and no one in their right mind would tell you not to get a Tesla ;-)