Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looks like no Model X even late this year.....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll be particularly OK with it if it manifests itself in a larger battery as part of the mix. I now expect it to.

I think that bonnie has the right frame of mind on this. Tesla set the bar pretty high with the Model S (best car most people have ever driven) and if the X is anything less than perfect it will always be not as good as the first one. No way do they want that to happen. The only thing they can do is swing for the back fence and you better know people will be watching for any tiny little flaw. They have to hit this one out of the park again, nothing less will do.

I'll be particularly OK with it if it manifests itself in a larger battery as part of the mix. I now expect it to.
Agreed.

Actually, Tesla may have put itself into a bit of a corner by announcing a larger battery in the same time frame as the release of the X. Many customers, myself included, may be reluctant to accept delivery if the car doesn't have the larger battery, and that would cut into their sales figures.

Assuming 2 things to be true:

1- Battery costs and other production moves are raising profit margins
2- Elon intention is swift EV adoption, not maximizing profit by letting demand dictate prices

Then my expectation at this point is that Tesla will be offering a larger battery-- but holding the prices near where they are now (1-9% over comparable MS). In fact, I would not be surprised at all to find that the final price might.. MIGHT be good surprise for us. I hope.

Ha! If it ratchets up too high it'll dig into my used MS money pile, so I'm COUNTING on this delay as good news for both! A delayed MX launch means even more depreciation on the MS by the time they're traded up. :smile:

Ummm, how can we 'expect' the delay to mean a larger battery? There's nothing said by Tesla that even remotely hints at that for the X. I'd hate to see us ratchet up expectations and then be disappointed when they deliver a phenomenal vehicle, without that larger battery.

It wasn't here in this thread with this group, but people had themselves worked up last quarter into 'the X will be delivered months early, that's the good news!' ... and the whole group think process turned it into an expectation for many.

But it sure is fun to dream about :). I'd be happiest with just the option to upgrade when, someday, it did become available.

Ummm, how can we 'expect' the delay to mean a larger battery? There's nothing said by Tesla that even remotely hints at that for the X. I'd hate to see us ratchet up expectations and then be disappointed when they deliver a phenomenal vehicle, without that larger battery.

It wasn't here in this thread with this group, but people had themselves worked up last quarter into 'the X will be delivered months early, that's the good news!' ... and the whole group think process turned it into an expectation for many.

But it sure is fun to dream about :). I'd be happiest with just the option to upgrade when, someday, it did become available.
I'm unconvinced that there has been a delay relative to Tesla's X availability announcements. AFAIK, they've always said 2015 for deliveries.

The battery question though is somewhat different, in that they have announced the availability of a bigger battery in about a year counting from early 2014, so perhaps first half of 2015. That puts it in the same time frame as volume X deliveries. Some people may value an early X delivery over the bigger battery, but I think that many people won't like that trade off, especially since Tesla's upgrade policies up to now haven't been very attractive economically.

I'm unconvinced that there has been a delay relative to Tesla's X availability announcements. AFAIK, they've always said 2015 for deliveries

Not sure if you're meaning just recent announcements, but just for the sake of being a bit more complete: Model X was initially supposed to launch at the end of 2013. It was pushed to mid 2014 at one point, then assumed late 2014. Not too long ago there was talk of token deliveries in 2014 with real volume in 2015 (not unlike the Model S' true launch -- not the limited factory launch).

The recent statement of deliveries in Spring, can be interpreted as another 6 month delay (since we all know Tesla time and seasons), especially since he said production prototypes on the road by the end of the year.

So yeah.. expectations for me are now at Sig deliveries Feb-March 2015.

I prefer to think of this as Tesla insisting on quality over 'shipping no matter what'. My understanding is that Elon was not happy with some of the final quality of particular design elements and this has reset the clock. (If you've ever been on a design team, you understand exactly how upsetting a decision like this would be.)

Obviously I'm impacted this year (I'm Sig #2 & had every reason to expect delivery in 2014), meaning it's likely I won't have the tax break. And you know what? I'm thrilled Tesla made the right decision. I'm not going to put on those negative goggles and just say 'failing to meet a promise' when I know they're doing exactly the right thing and I wouldn't have it any other way.

- Roadster owner, Model X Signature reservation holder, and stock holder :) (for those who think that matters on these types of opinions)

Bonnie did I not hear that the tax credit is going away for 2015 or did you just mean you were hoping to take it in 2014?

Continuing a popular theme, I think the range of a 60 has become a harder sell even on the MS. Likely to be as popular on the MX as the 40kwh was on the MS.

Assuming Tesla still wants to structure a model line with more than one battery option and production efficiencies are realized, a higher capacity battery seems doable.

I won't be disappointed if it isn't offered... but I would be surprised. One popping up when the Design Studio goes live would totally be keeping with the "under promise / over deliver" message.

Ummm, how can we 'expect' the delay to mean a larger battery? There's nothing said by Tesla ....
I'm starting a rumor that the Model X comes with a spare wheel that will automatically swap in for any wheel that has a malfunctioning tire -- while the car is in motion. ATPWCWIM (Automatic Tire Pressure Wheel Correction While In Motion) will only be available on cars with the Fantasy Plus package.

I'm starting a rumor that the Model X comes with a spare wheel that will automatically swap in for any wheel that has a malfunctioning tire -- while the car is in motion. ATPWCWIM (Automatic Tire Pressure Wheel Correction While In Motion) will only be available on cars with the Fantasy Plus package.

Does that come with the 'Hello Kitty' interior option?

Not sure if you're meaning just recent announcements, but just for the sake of being a bit more complete: Model X was initially supposed to launch at the end of 2013. It was pushed to mid 2014 at one point, then assumed late 2014. Not too long ago there was talk of token deliveries in 2014 with real volume in 2015 (not unlike the Model S' true launch -- not the limited factory launch).

The recent statement of deliveries in Spring, can be interpreted as another 6 month delay (since we all know Tesla time and seasons), especially since he said production prototypes on the road by the end of the year.

So yeah.. expectations for me are now at Sig deliveries Feb-March 2015.

All, I really read into it was a slip on December which, withcthe New Year retool, would mean they'd not bother until after the January break. So, I'd suggest it's back 5 to 6 weeks, but not necdessarily because they need another 5 to 6 weeks.

Does that come with the 'Hello Kitty' interior option?
I'm afraid not. It's an exterior package.

4c78ce110166f7d2cad3e0592487bd68.jpg

I heard that they are considering an interior option as well; you might want to mail ownership@ so they know there's demand.