Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looks like it's headed to being official - $400 registration fee and $200 annual fee in Texas for EVs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is not unreasonable, we pay $200 / year in Georgia. The purpose of the tax it to get EVs to pay their fair share of the road tax paid by ICE cars. Unfortunately, it is a flat tax which is not based on mileage like the gas tax which is based on consumption. Until someone comes up with a better approach this is how the States are going to collect the road tax from EVs.

• Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056
The issue here is the eff'd us. State gas tax is $.20/gallon. So that would cover 1,000 gallons of gas. If my car got 30 mpg, then I could go 30k miles. How many people drive 30k miles in an EV? Not a lot, though there are some. Average person drives about 12k miles a year. Factor in the serious, Ben Dover effing for the initial registration and you can see how bad it really is.

I'd need to be driving a pickup with 10 mpg, to even make this remotely fair, let alone the initial Ben Dover registration fee. That is the problem I have it it. It isn't even remotely fair and limited thought was put into this. FYI - my last diesel pickup got 30 mph on the highway and if I drove a Prius and used it for comparison, we got eff'd even more.

Make it $100 a year and no complaints from me.

The issue here is the eff'd us. State gas tax is $.20/gallon. So that would cover 1,000 gallons of gas. If my car got 30 mpg, then I could go 30k miles. How many people drive 30k miles in an EV? Not a lot, though there are some. Average person drives about 12k miles a year. Factor in the serious, Ben Dover effing for the initial registration and you can see how bad it really is.

I'd need to be driving a pickup with 10 mpg, to even make this remotely fair, let alone the initial Ben Dover registration fee. That is the problem I have it it. It isn't even remotely fair and limited thought was put into this. FYI - my last diesel pickup got 30 mph on the highway and if I drove a Prius and used it for comparison, we got eff'd even more.

You do need to add in the Federal tax as well. States effectively get that money back.

Also, average miles per driver is relatively higher in Texas. 16,171.

But yes, I think it sucks. Per mile is an obvious way to go unless there's more overall reform.

I guess you'll have to swap to a used Gen 2 Volt to cut your costs. Or maybe get an i3 REX.

Last edited:
I don't mind paying my fair share but I really feel like the Texas version is sort of like she got the coal mine and I got the shaft scenarios. Since moving Texas from Florida, I am missing it more and more. I like that there are no state income taxes in either place but I get ponded on property tax here, sales tax, insurance, etc. and soon it will be this future EV tax.

So when are they going to start taxing the heavy trailers that everyone tows around here? I am sure they are doing a lot more wear and tear on the roads than my model 3 or S do. On my motorcycles they are making out like a bandit on the gas tax received vs damage done.

I am curious how much of the TX gas tax is diverted toward public transit.

Reactions: Abraham

For reference in Georgia

Average miles driven: 15,000
National wide average MGP 25.4
Federal + GA State Gas Tax is $0.474 / gallon

Thus 15,000 / 25.4 * 0.474 = $280, the EV fee in Georgia is $230

So if you are "average" the fee for an EV is cheaper. Obviously, those who drive less and have cars with better MPGs are worse off when they switch to an EV, but as has been noted, until we come up with a way to charge EVs by the mile the "average" is what we have to live with.

They should have made the tax based on milage. Each year when you get your vehicle inspected, they get the milage. Subtract last year mileage and they would get the miles driven and compute the tax at a per mile rate.
Mileage has issues too... for example miles driven out of state or people from other states driving here.

A connected car could calculate all of it, including toll roads w/o toll booths. If they all had it, no one worried about privacy, and people didn't hack stuff...

But if this flat fee is so great, perhaps they should move all cars to this method and eliminate the gas tax. I'd really love to see the data on how much actual gas tax is collected vs the number of cars in Texas, etc.

Last edited:
For reference in Georgia

Average miles driven: 15,000
National wide average MGP 25.4
Federal + GA State Gas Tax is $0.474 / gallon

Thus 15,000 / 25.4 * 0.474 = $280, the EV fee in Georgia is $230

So if you are "average" the fee for an EV is cheaper. Obviously, those who drive less and have cars with better MPGs are worse off when they switch to an EV, but as has been noted, until we come up with a way to charge EVs by the mile the "average" is what we have to live with.
I would just be looking at the state gas tax as I am sure TX, GA isn't sending anything from their money back to the Feds for the road.

I don't want any IN CAR monitoring as well all know where that will lead. Nothing good will come of that. If they want to validate miles during an inspection, I am more on board with that.