Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pennsylvania considering $290/year EV fee

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To be fair, the EV registration fee is a pretty easy way to go. Upset a small group now and provide a future revenue stream. It really is a no Brainer. I have paid $140 annually for 8 or 9 years and there is talk of increasing it now. A really smart way to do it is with built in COLA adjustments like some states do with gas tax. Our state does a percentage base of the gas price which works but also unfortunately magnifies the swings and is vulnerable to chopping when oil prices spike.

Arguably, Democrats like revenue and Republicans like regressive taxes that appear to punish liberal elites. This is the rare win/win.

Interestingly, I participated in a kind of research/pilot program last year that included most of the Eastern states, from Maine south to Florida and Alabama, including Pennsylvania. Participants either installed a supplied GPS tracker or used the car’s own mileage-reporting capabilities to send mileage numbers to a mothership. Once a month participants were sent a, “bill” denoting how much they would have to pay in road tax, although no actual money changed hands.

The various states involved had different mileage charges; I vaguely remember that PA had one of the highest rates.

There were all sorts of assurances, for the research project, anyway, that the position data would be kept Extremely Private and all of the collected data thoroughly destroyed after the study was over. We participants got a gift card for our trouble.

I think that VA, one of the states involved, is moving towards this kind of system. Looks like PA isn’t. Whether that’s because of privacy concerns or political types wanting to stick it to the elites is a question, though.

PA lawmakers considering $290 EV fee

“Electric vehicle owners in the state may soon be required to pay an annual fee of almost $300. The fee equates to what the Department of Transportation estimates owners of gas-powered vehicles pay each year in gas tax.”​

Will be less than what I actually drive per year. But I also drive out of state a lot, so not all my miles are in PA.
Should make the author’s and the committee members names famous. PA is notorious for having some of the worst roads in the country. This tax will not make things any better. Just like the gas tax didn’t help.

Should make the author’s and the committee members names famous. PA is notorious for having some of the worst roads in the country. This tax will not make things any better. Just like the gas tax didn’t help.
Interesting. For several years I was a resident of Virginia while attending college. Despite some attempts by the local registrars, I was registered to vote and did so regularly and, at the time, paid at least some attention to the politics in the state.

So, this one year, there was broadcast the State of the State address by the VA Governor to the combined senate and assembly of the State. At one point the man discussed the budget for the roads. It was OK, a bit bigger than the previous years, but not nearly big enough to get everybody's wish list of new roads/repaired roads/updated roads/etc done.

He stated, "I'm going to leave this to you. Stay within the budget; but you represent your districts and do your best. Send me a bill and I'll sign it."

I kid you not: Literally everybody in the chamber rose to their feet and spontaneously applauded.

This was reported in the newspapers at the time. Over the next couple-three weeks the papers were full of reports of all the horse-trading going on. Sausage making of the highest order: But, at the end, the Governor signed the bill and all the most critical road work got done.

So, what's going on in PA? The governor moving road money to the general fund? Or what?