Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking Forward to the Model 3 Debut

How excited are you about the debut?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think we will see a "standard 17" MCU" in the Model 3. It just makes economic sense for Tesla to keep building the same unit just in ever greater numbers. The software is written and amortized over the S and the X. So essentially Tesla can give it away for "free" with the 3.

I think nav, google maps, trip planner, browser and all the other stuff will be included. Furthermore Tesla is not going to bother developing a UI for a smaller screen when the cost of a 17" screen is negligible.

Other than that I think we will see cloth seats non powered, electric windows, climate as standard. Keyless entry and walkaway door locks.

Upgrades on the 3 could include:

- Sports or air suspension
- Leather (seats and/or interior)
- LED Headlights (With halogen as standard)
- Towing hitch
- Premium audio
- Battery / performance (almost certain)
- Big, bigger and biggest wheels ;)
- Extra winter wheels

What other stuff might they add to the upgrade list?

A few more from the Model S option list:

• Autopilot Convenience Features
  • Premium Interior and Lighting
  • Smart Air Suspension
  • Ultra High Fidelity Sound
  • Subzero Weather Package
  • Alcantara Headliner
  • Ludicrous Speed Upgrade
  • Carbon Fiber Spoiler
  • Tesla Red Brake Calipers

Yes please, I love the alcantara headliner. The excitement about the 3 has reached a boiling point in my small circle of friends. Everybody who has ever tried our S is waiting, saving money and praying that they can afford the Model 3.

I think we will see a "standard 17" MCU" in the Model 3. It just makes economic sense for Tesla to keep building the same unit just in ever greater numbers. The software is written and amortized over the S and the X. So essentially Tesla can give it away for "free" with the 3.

I think nav, google maps, trip planner, browser and all the other stuff will be included. Furthermore Tesla is not going to bother developing a UI for a smaller screen when the cost of a 17" screen is negligible.

Other than that I think we will see cloth seats non powered, electric windows, climate as standard. Keyless entry and walkaway door locks.

Upgrades on the 3 could include:

- Sports or air suspension
- Leather (seats and/or interior)
- LED Headlights (With halogen as standard)
- Towing hitch
- Premium audio
- Battery / performance (almost certain)
- Big, bigger and biggest wheels ;)
- Extra winter wheels

What other stuff might they add to the upgrade list?

I think the screen will stay too... Along with all the other things you said It adds a huge amount of Wow Factor for very little $$ to Tesla, which they will need when it comes to competing with the likes of BMW and Mercedes. One of the things that makes those cars so nice is the interior/center console, so having that nice huge screen will play well in that arena.

I think they could do this too with Nav... Its a $2,000 upgrade on the BMW 3 Series. Bundle it in free and thats a huge value win for Tesla. No way I'd pay even $250 for this considering what my phone can do.

The 2016 Corolla and Honda Civic both come standard with LED projector beam headlights... Starting at like $18k, I'm actually quite shocked the Model S doesnt have them. Although I just checked and the 3 series doesnt have them standard either... Crazy.

I doubt an "electric Corolla" is what Tesla is shooting for.

It's still going to be a premium, up-scale auto. Tesla is that kind of a brand.

Perhaps an electric 3 series base model BMW or A4 Audi.

I predict the base model will be very well optioned with NAV, etc. But there will be many options in the form of luxury and performance. Starting well equipped at $35K but easily up to $75K will all the options.

It's all there for the looking. Just look at the competition. Look at what comes standard on a $35K BMW 3 series. That is what Tesla has to meet or surpass.

Then look at the BMW M3. There's no way Tesla doesn't offer something to compete.

lol, have you checked out a base BMW 3 series? (around $35k)

Cloth non-powered seats
Non-heated seats
Non auto-dimming rear view mirror
No keyless entry
No homelink
No lumbar support
No moonroof
No rearview camera (though in the US it's mandatory starting 2018)
Non folding rear seats
No NAV
etc.

Yep, base 3-series BMW sounds like a Corolla to me.

I have reasons to belive Tesla Model 3 will be shown at Geneva that will open in march 3 , because Tesla Model X has big chances of being there too !
Tesla, much like Apple, doesn't need a trade show to unveil a new car. They attract enough attention on their own and doing a reveal at their own location gives them control over everything. It also takes the air out of everyone else's bubble that is attending the auto show.

Under 2 months soon, and soon we can start criticizing about the time of day of the event ;)
It will probably be an 8 PM event, with Elon being fashionably late by at least 20 minutes. As Yggdrasill said, they will probably give us 1 to 2 weeks notice, probably closer to the 2 weeks since they'll be sending out invites to a select few and those few will need to make arrangements to drive or fly to northern California. But with a late March reveal, I anticipate that we won't know anything until early March. And, of course, once March 1st rolls around, the forums will be a complete buzz and tensions will be high. So many of us who just CAN'T STAND THE WAIT!!!!!!

It will probably be an 8 PM event, with Elon being fashionably late by at least 20 minutes. As Yggdrasill said, they will probably give us 1 to 2 weeks notice, probably closer to the 2 weeks since they'll be sending out invites to a select few and those few will need to make arrangements to drive or fly to northern California. But with a late March reveal, I anticipate that we won't know anything until early March. And, of course, once March 1st rolls around, the forums will be a complete buzz and tensions will be high. So many of us who just CAN'T STAND THE WAIT!!!!!!
I would think it would be a little earlier than that. Wouldn't Elon want the reveal to be reported on the 11:00 news on the East coast?