Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking at 2023 Model3 LR. Tell me why I should/shouldn't do it.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi
I currently own a 2022 Prius Prime (plug-in prius). My daily commute to work is about 35 miles each way, mostly interstate. Live in Indiana, hot summers, snowy cold winters.
I have a level 2 charging available at work (its a minimal cost $40 for the year for a pass to charge whenever).
I do not have level 2 charging at home. Local Mejier grocery store in my town has a bank of about 20 super chargers, of which I only see about 5 to 7 in use at any given time.

I had heard that insurance for Telsa's can be all over the board, I called and got a quote for a model 3 LR and it was only $130 more a YEAR vs what I pay for my Prius currently. Very reasonable.

I've become increasingly interested in getting the Model 3 Long range. My Prius is paid off, and a local dealership will give me $31,000 for it. Combining with the tax credit of $7500, I'm only looking at roughly $9000 out of pocket to move to the Model 3. There is a few Model 3 Long range in inventory near my area I'd be willing to do so I could buy and get it pretty quickly.

I don't need to make the change but given the tax credits and looking at the price cuts lately its becoming hard to not consider. My wife is a bit concerned about the lack of Tesla being time tested, I'm not as worried about that with the warranty provided. I'll likely get rid of it before the warranty is up anyways, just how I seem to do.

I'm just interested to hear what other things I may want to consider that I may not be thinking of.
Thanks

I also wanted to say, I'm not too interested in waiting for highland to come out. For starters I will never buy a car for the first model year it is out, too many bugs and issues across all makes in my opinion . Also I'd want to take advantage of tax credits, which in 2025 which is when I'd be willing to buy the highland model they may not be available then. Last, I've read that highland may take cost saving measures and remove features, or if features are kept the price could be increased. Just additional thought on the comment... why not wait.

I also wanted to say, I'm not too interested in waiting for highland to come out. For starters I will never buy a car for the first model year it is out, too many bugs and issues across all makes in my opinion . Also I'd want to take advantage of tax credits, which in 2025 which is when I'd be willing to buy the highland model they may not be available then. Last, I've read that highland may take cost saving measures and remove features, or if features are kept the price could be increased. Just additional thought on the comment... why not wait.

By buying the previous gen model you'll take a bigger hit on future resale value than you will on that tax credit. But if you plan to keep your car forever and/or don't care about that for some reason, then you do you!

Between my wife and I we've had 3 cars that were the first model years of refreshed versions and we never had atypical experiences. I think that argument is outdated and overstated.

Why not save yourself even more and go for an inventory 3 RWD? You could save ~$7k picking up an inventory RWD 3 compared to a LR Model 3.
Having a Y and S as well, the RWD 3 does feel slower, but it’s not slow. It has pretty much everything the LR 3 has, besides the extra motor, fog lights, footwell lights and upgraded speaker system. But for $7k savings it’s worth it, especially if it’s a commuter car.
The ability to not worry about charging percentages is nice too. Just plug it in and charge to 100%.
I’d say at least demo drive a 3 RWD and LR and see if the LR feels like it’s worth $7k more than a LR.

Why not save yourself even more and go for an inventory 3 RWD? You could save ~$7k picking up an inventory RWD 3 compared to a LR Model 3.
Having a Y and S as well, the RWD 3 does feel slower, but it’s not slow. It has pretty much everything the LR 3 has, besides the extra motor, fog lights, footwell lights and upgraded speaker system. But for $7k savings it’s worth it, especially if it’s a commuter car.
The ability to not worry about charging percentages is nice too. Just plug it in and charge to 100%.
I’d say at least demo drive a 3 RWD and LR and see if the LR feels like it’s worth $7k more than a LR.

I'm looking to buy from inventory already for a M3 LR. The price difference in inventory is about 3,500 or so. I'm in Northwest indiana, we can get heavy lake effect snow and our winters are thing but mild so I think the awd will be helpful, not necessary but helpful.

I keep hearing charging to 100% from reading things here and there. What is the deal with that. The Long Range models only charge to 80% battery or its not recommended to charge to 100%?

They're giving you a good offer on the Prius. I'd take it and go for the Model 3. Having owned a plug-in hybrid, I find them frustrating, since I try to avoid using gas as much as possible. 192,000 miles on one of my Model 3s, and 69,000 on the other.

I'm looking to buy from inventory already for a M3 LR. The price difference in inventory is about 3,500 or so. I'm in Northwest indiana, we can get heavy lake effect snow and our winters are thing but mild so I think the awd will be helpful, not necessary but helpful.

I keep hearing charging to 100% from reading things here and there. What is the deal with that. The Long Range models only charge to 80% battery or its not recommended to charge to 100%?
The RWD and LR have different battery chemistry. The RWD is recommended to charge to 100%. The LR is recommended to charge 80-90% on a daily basis. Can charge to 100% for road trips.

By buying the previous gen model you'll take a bigger hit on future resale value than you will on that tax credit. But if you plan to keep your car forever and/or don't care about that for some reason, then you do you!

Between my wife and I we've had 3 cars that were the first model years of refreshed versions and we never had atypical experiences. I think that argument is outdated and overstated.
I'll disagree, i
Went from a prius prime to a m3p and love it. Could you install a charger at home?

Oh i could totally install a 240 outlet at home. One of my garage walls could easily run a cable down to my basement and into the breaker box. It'd take MAYBE an hour to run the wire and install the outlet. In the breaker box, i'm not sure I've never done that. But gives you an idea as to how easily it could be ran.

Lots to think about here. I think the value I'm getting for my prius is probably never going to be as good as it is right now, nor will the tax credits if Im understanding them correctly

opps don't know how to edit my post. i was going to say i disagree.. i've had very recent cars in the last 8 to 10 years that were first model years (the ones that burnt me) that made me have this opinion,.... ones by Toyota and Honda at that.

A few things to consider that may help you pick the best car for your needs:
  • The base Model 3 charges to 100% = 272 mile range. The LR 80% charge = 264 mile range; 90% = 300 miles. Not a big difference, but the list price difference is $7K. The Prius is FWD, the base Model 3 is RWD. If snow is a big factor in your daily drive is it worth $7K to have AWD, and marginally greater range? This is the key decision to make before placing your Model 3 order, in my opinion.
  • Just to play devil's advocate, you may want to take another look at the Model Y. The AWD version, comparable in range to the base model 3, is about the same price as the LR Model 3. For the extra price you get a car with more storage space, a higher seating position and some other differences. I'm not pushing the Y on you, but just want to point out that in January of this year the base Model Y was $14K higher than the current price. I bought one because, for me, the car was more flexible for my typical everyday driving needs (even with the 279 mile range), and the cost was less than I paid for my 2018 Model 3 RWD.
  • SuperChargers are reliable and quick, but relatively expensive. In my area they cost 2-3X the cost of home charging per/KWH. On the other hand installing a Wall Connector, getting it permitted and inspected, will likely cost $1K, and can rise sharply if the install is complex. Cold weather will reduce range by 20% or more, very cold weather 30%. If you charge in a garage at home you can set it to be ready when you're ready to leave for work. While on the Wall Connector it will also heat/cool your car to the desired setting - a big energy saver. You can do the same while at work for the return trip. I have a Level 2 charger and consider it a good investment. I highly recommend it for convenience.
  • Inventory cars are almost always available at a discount from list price. The best deals come when the calendar quarter ends - Sept. 30. I think everyone on the forum would suggest you try to find an "inventory" car at your location - the discounts are well worth it, and delivery is quick. With careful shopping you may find a discounted inventory model Y AWD for not much more than the Model 3; or an inventory LR AWD Model 3 for not much more than the RWD Model 3 at regular list price.
  • Use a Referral Link BEFORE you order your car. It will benefit you and the person who provided the link (PM me if you can't find one). That will give you a potential discount on the car, and likely some free charging or trial for FSD at no cost. The perks change frequently, but if you use the code when you place the order you'll get some "goodies".
  • For most people the standard autopilot works well on the Interstate, and given your commute that's all you'll likely need.
  • The AWD has some added features that may or may not matter to you:
    • More speakers (14 to be exact, including a subwoofer, and powered by 2 amps. The RWD version has technically 7, without one of the amps, and no subwoofer. You can enable the 4 in the front doors through a fairly easy 3rd party cable harness install).
    • Fog lights
    • Accent lights (the horizontal white lines next to the fog lights)
    • Interior lighting in the front footwell and door pockets. Not sure if it is also in the rear.
  • The Tesla website points out that starting in 2024 the EV Tax Credit may be reduced for some of the Model 3/Y vehicles. As part of the Investment Reduction Act EV manufactures have to meet harder requirements each year to earn the full tax credit. Buying a car during the 2023 tax year will avoid any potential for reduced EV tax credits next year. Earlier this year the base Model 3 RWD, for example, qualified for only $3,750 tax credit, not the full $7,500. That battery pack appears to be made in China, but somehow Tesla found a way to get the full credit.

Finally, check my signature. I've been driving EVs for 10 years from different manufacturers. The Tesla models are still the EV leaders and I think that will continue for at least the next 2-3 years. They are true "drive anywhere, anytime" cars, but if long trips are part of your standard driving the need to charge on the highway likely will require you to make some adjustments. I don't think you can make a bad decision, so take your time to find the one you want.

This forum is filled with friendly, experienced people who will gladly answer your questions along with giving well reasoned suggestions.

Welcome aboard!

Last edited:
Thanks. lots of good info there. I've checked out the model y, my friend has one. I'm just so so on how they look. its ok but i think the M3 to me looks like a better car. I'm really just trying to be cheap as I can here. I'm gonna sleep on it. There is a model 3 long range in my area for a decent value. Plus given that I'm guessing with summer over the carvana offer on my prius prime is likley to drop a bit as we see gas prices start to go down seasonally.
It all lines up to me, I've been kicking this around for about 2 weeks just thinking about it. I asked a friend last week what he thought about getting a model 3..... and 4 hours later he was like i just bought one. He picked it up today and i got to check it out and drive it. Needless to say it only helped me solidify how I feel about the car.

Reactions: lencap
FYI - Carvana/CarMax tends to be very generous with Tesla pricing, but they also reduce their offers quickly if their inventory builds. You may want to ask Tesla if they'll match the Carvana offer - they probably won't, but it doesn't hurt to ask. I bought a 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV in January, before the big Tesla price cuts. When the Model Y AWD fell to $47K I jumped on it, and sold my EUV to CarMax for more than I paid for it (after the tax credit). Two weeks later a friend tried to sell his Bolt, and they offered him $3K less than they offered me.

In terms of looks, that's subjective, but real. The only analogy I can make is when a good friend of mine bought a BMW M4, which I think has the ugliest grill ever made, and I told him so. His reply was: "Yep, it's ugly, but I don't see it when I'm driving, and I bought the car to drive". I don't love the Y's shape either, but it's roomy and holds an amazing amount of "stuff". It also has a higher seating position which may or may not matter to you. The rear hatch is powered, opens in a snap, and compared to the trunk dimensions and opening in the Model 3 it allows you to get oddly shaped boxes into the car easily that the Model 3 can't fit at all. I bought a 76" outdoor lounge at Costco and it fit in the Y with the front seat pulled up without issue. If you're used to the convenience of the Prius hatch, make sure the Model 3 trunk will work for you. It didn't for me (I've had 3 Prius over the years), which is one of the reasons I sold it. I'm also a "senior" (old), and the seating position of the Y gives me better ingress/egress, more space and more "air" around my seating position. I also felt that I sat too low in the Model 3, especially the rear seat that my passengers didn't find very comfortable.

By the way, if you hadn't noticed, I edited my earlier post because of my pricing error. The Model Y AWD is about the same price as the Model 3 LR AWD. So for about $7K more than the base Model 3 RWD you can have either the LR model 3 AWD, or the comparable range Model Y AWD, with the benefit of maybe be a bit more useful in snow. It's also great in heavy rain. That's why I suggested you take your time and consider what you want. Saving money is important, but having buyer's remorse because you bought the wrong car isn't a lot of fun - I know from experience.

We have a 2022 M3LR and absolutely LOVE IT! You have a similar commute to my wife. She has an 80 mile round trip. We live in Colorado where we get super hot in the summer and very cold in the winter. The M3LR is a dream to drive in the winter but we did get a dedicated set of snow tires/rims for ours (note: we do that for most of our vehicles). We also charge at home. My neighbor and I installed the Tesla wall charger and could not be happier! Installing a circuit breaker to your panel is really not that hard but make sure you have the capacity for it. We had an electrician friend give us the go ahead that our panel was just fine for it.

I was going to install a NEMA outlet for ours but in the end we ended up with the Tesla wall charger and we love it.

If we were in the same situation I would say purchase the M3LR.

NOTE: We also did not like the looks of the MYLR and when driving both the M3LR and the MYLR, we definitely both preferred the M3 over the Y. We also did 3000 mile round trip from CO to FLA and it was super easy to do! I had never supercharged before and it just so damn easy to have the Tesla tell you where to charge along your route. We did use "A Better Route Planner" (ABRP) on that trip and it was nice to have to show different options on charging.

I have bought a M3 LR AWD two and a half months ago, replacing my Bolt EV that I had 4.5 years.
Make sure you are ready to put some money on it before anything else for :
- mud guards
- ppf the rockers
The mud guards the Tesla comes with, I don’t have a better word for it : suck. Especially where the winter = snow and below freezing temperatures, the two above are a must do. And yes, a pair of winter tires.
For the rest, Tesla is a pleasure to drive.
And yes, one last note, install a L2 on your garage. It’s a lot better to have a charging station at home rather then at the office, where maybe someone else too bought a new EV and wants to use the same L2 at the office.

I'm just interested to hear what other things I may want to consider that I may not be thinking of
You need to move up to the Model S Plaid. Add some excitement to your driving experience. If that is too "out of the box" for you, get the Model 3 Performance. Fun car that can add some pizzaz to your commute.

The Long Range models only charge to 80% battery or its not recommended to charge to 100%?
I have been charging my 21 3LR AWD with 66k miles on it to 90% daily on my home Tesla Wall Charger with no issues. I charge to 100% when I am going on longer road trips.

Last edited:
thanks guys. i pulled the trigger by selling my Prius Prime to Toyota today, got $30,211 for it. Im happy with that.
Ordered the M3LR this morning. could pick it up as early as Friday.

I've already checked into Xpel paint protection for the hood and bumper.. but the rockers take damage on this too?
Got my tint guy contacted as well, gonna tint it front windsheild 50%, the rest i'm thinking probably 5%, maybe 15%