Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking at 2023 Model3 LR. Tell me why I should/shouldn't do it.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
thanks guys. i pulled the trigger by selling my Prius Prime to Toyota today, got $30,211 for it. Im happy with that.
Ordered the M3LR this morning. could pick it up as early as Friday.

I've already checked into Xpel paint protection for the hood and bumper.. but the rockers take damage on this too?
Got my tint guy contacted as well, gonna tint it front windsheild 50%, the rest i'm thinking probably 5%, maybe 15%
Good call - congratulations!

It’s gonna be interesting moving from a SLOW car to a really quick one, among other things! 😉

thanks guys. i pulled the trigger by selling my Prius Prime to Toyota today, got $30,211 for it. Im happy with that.

I've already checked into Xpel paint protection for the hood and bumper.. but the rockers take damage on this too?
Got my tint guy contacted as well, gonna tint it front windsheild 50%, the rest i'm thinking probably 5%, maybe 15%
Do Indiana cops/highway patrol nail people with tint tickets much?

Good call - congratulations!

It’s gonna be interesting moving from a SLOW car to a really quick one, among other things!
lol don't i know it. I am used to crawling in the prius to save gas / battery. I don't drive far by nature but itll be nice to just cruise and not worry too much
Do Indiana cops/highway patrol nail people with tint tickets much?
Naw. I think they will depending on other aspects, if you look like you are up to no good. But just cruising around they really won't mess with you.

Hi
I currently own a 2022 Prius Prime (plug-in prius). My daily commute to work is about 35 miles each way, mostly interstate. Live in Indiana, hot summers, snowy cold winters.
I have a level 2 charging available at work (its a minimal cost $40 for the year for a pass to charge whenever).
I do not have level 2 charging at home. Local Mejier grocery store in my town has a bank of about 20 super chargers, of which I only see about 5 to 7 in use at any given time.

I had heard that insurance for Telsa's can be all over the board, I called and got a quote for a model 3 LR and it was only $130 more a YEAR vs what I pay for my Prius currently. Very reasonable.

I've become increasingly interested in getting the Model 3 Long range. My Prius is paid off, and a local dealership will give me $31,000 for it. Combining with the tax credit of $7500, I'm only looking at roughly $9000 out of pocket to move to the Model 3. There is a few Model 3 Long range in inventory near my area I'd be willing to do so I could buy and get it pretty quickly.

I don't need to make the change but given the tax credits and looking at the price cuts lately its becoming hard to not consider. My wife is a bit concerned about the lack of Tesla being time tested, I'm not as worried about that with the warranty provided. I'll likely get rid of it before the warranty is up anyways, just how I seem to do.

I'm just interested to hear what other things I may want to consider that I may not be thinking of.
Thanks
Do it
You wont have any regrets other than should have done sooner
Have the wife do a test drive, that’s how I sold Tesla to mine
Good luck

I have a 2020 M3LR and just tipped 50k miles. You are going to love it. It's the most fun of anything you can do with your clothes on!

i would get highland, you are buying a new car but youll instantly be getting an old car you bought new since highland is literally around the corner.

everyone throws out that first year model excuse for FOMO or justify getting stuck with the old version. This really isnt a new model, but a refresh and it isnt ICE.

you wont find much support on this because most people here are current aka future OLD model 3 owners and that feeling of having the latest and greatest will fade as soon as highland appears and no one wants that. It happens with all car makes and models really. New/update version comes out and all the current owners--majority at least--will find some excuse/reason how theirs and current and old version is better. They miss or will miss being the talked about news and top dawg.

You buy current LR, it has been unchanged for what 7 years? youll be owning a brand new 7 year old car.

Reactions: Mikecm1

Ha.

Back in 2017, the SO got on the wait list for a Model 3. In 2018 we got told it was likely. The SO had been driving minivans for decades, but now both kids were out of the house. I was driving a 2010 Prius. So, we pulled the trigger.

Both of us went up in the Prius to the Springfield, NJ Service Center, got a reasonable explanation (not that we hadn't been reading up on it), took delivery of the LR RWD M3, and moved into the parking lot.

It was her car; I got out, got into the Prius, and followed her home some 20 miles.

Let me tell you.. it was really, really hard keeping up with her. She wasn't.. purposefully.. speeding, but, without trying, she'd be a quarter mile up and disappearing over the horizon, with me trailing along behind her, flooring the Prius (which, for an economy car, does have a significant amount of get-up-and-go), and only catching up when she got to the speed she wanted to go.

The amazing bit: When turning right onto a busy three-lane local highway with traffic hitting 50+ mph, one hardly needs any kind of gap to get into traffic.

I wouldn't bother tinting anything. We've had this 2018 M3 sans ting, paint protection, or mudflaps; the amount of nicks and such is minimal. You can if you want, but it's not really necessary.

I’m confused now; 2023 - 2017 = 6
So the Model 3 has been around for 6 years, right, not 7?
Um. Our son, who has connections, has an early 2018 M3; I think that the initial production runs may have been in late 2017. Ours was bought during the early ramp-up in September, 2018. As of next week, it'll be a five year old car. And it's still going strong, FSD-b and all.

I wouldn't bother with the acceleration boost; if that kind of thing is what lights you up, then just get the M3 P.

Besides, look at it this way: A mid-90's Ford Muscle Car would have the stretch-your-neck-back acceleration that your M3 LR will have. You'll still be faster with that than most of the rest of the crowd on the road.

Second: In Terms Of What To Do: Either put an 240 VAC outlet in your garage (2nd choice) or a Tesla Wall Connector (first choice). It'll cost your roughly a grand either way, what with labor, but the TWC will charge at 48A; the Tesla Mobile Connector that comes in a fabric bag and is (usually) left in the trunk is what one uses to charge the car from a 240 or 120 VAC outlets.

I'm pretty sure that, these days, you have to buy the TMC (worthwhile investment, although it doesn't get used much in my experience), but the J1772 adapter comes with the car. That allows you to charge at L2 (240 VAC) commercial charging points everywhere. Useful in a Whole Foods parking lot, where the charging may be free; but, like all L2 chargers, they max out around 30-40 miles of charge an hour.