Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long Time Corvette Guy in Manhattan, starting my research on Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is the P90D Ludicrous, really ludicrous? These cars are fast, faster than the cars I have owned over the past 30 years, Corvettes, Camaros and Mustangs. But no stick available, only auto, right?

Hey Ken,

No shifting, single gear.

P R N D

No comment on Ludicrous; its 2.8 0-60, 'nuff said. Instant torque is amazing.

There is a small gallery on West 25th, just past the High Line. They usually have one Model S, stop by if you want to see it in person. I would recommend either Mt Kisco or Syosset for test drive, though - the Chelsea store is tiny.

re: charging - it's a little more challenging in the city. I presume the Vette is garaged, talk to your guys to see if they would consider adding a HPWC (high power wall connector.) If you have a country home or a place on the East End, no big deal, you can install a charger at your second home. You'll run smack into a Supercharger if you go east/north/south.

If you're strictly urban then I'd give yourself some time to self-educate & plan this out. Ideally your garage mgt has or is willing to add charging. Chances are VERY good they will - city council passed a measure earlier this year that 20% of new parking spaces have to be for EVs. But recognize that if you are an apt/co-op/condo dweller, you're going to have a different experience than 95-99% of Model S owners.

With home charging - virtually everyone here - you plug in at night on 30 A or 40 A and come out the next morning to a "full tank." If you're in a public garage, you'll either be paying by the hour for slow level 2 charging or trickle charging (2-4 miles per hour) on a wall outlet. You'll "fill up" at the Supercharger on your way out of town. Or you'll find yourself doing stupid things like shopping at Walgreens in Windsor Terrace or Gowanus Whole Foods just to get a little free public charging in while you run errands.

I get that you're a car guy. This is a paradigmn shift from what you're used to, but it's totally doable. Lots of Manhattan garages (mine is @ 42nd/Dyer) have various charging options. Just do the legwork so you have an awesome experience.

Good luck!

Hey Guys, thanks very much for all the wonderful, cogent, informative answers to my questions. Hopefully, I will be able to see a Model S up front and personal this weekend and really get a feel for what it is like to drive this fantastic car.

Ken

When you do, ask for a launch demonstration. I doubt that you have ever experienced such acceleration.

They probably won't have a Ludicrous mode car (2.8 sec 0-60) on hand yet, but when I had an Insane Mode ("only" 3.1 sec 0-60) demo I had the sensation that all the blood - and perhaps my eyeballs too - were moving to the back of my skull. Then he let that 5,000lb sedan slow to about 40mph and cranked it through 90º a corner as if the car were on rails.

Just heard from the beautiful Stephanie ( well at least she sounded beautiful) at the Tesla factory in Fremont California. She called to set up my appointment to test drive a P85D at the Syosset store in Long Island this Saturday morning. Oh Yeah baby!

Thanks,
Ken

Just heard from the beautiful Stephanie ( well at least she sounded beautiful) at the Tesla factory in Fremont California. She called to set up my appointment to test drive a P85D at the Syosset store in Long Island this Saturday morning. Oh Yeah baby!

Thanks,
Ken

Hey NYS, IF you are thinking of the P85D then no problem. If you are considering a lower model, ask them to let you drive that version as well. I did the same thing for my test drive, tested the highest level. Then realized that if I went for something lower, I wouldn't know how that version actually felt. Worst case you could always do a second test drive, but since you are coming all the way out from NYC, it may be inconvenient to come out twice.

BTW, the Syosset store is in the middle of nowhere. The location is completely fine and safe, it just looks very industrial for those unfamiliar with the area. Hope you have a great experience.