Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long commute question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a long daily commute, 180 miles a day mostly highway speeds 75mph.

I’m seriously considering a Model S but am concerned about how my high mileage commute would affect long term battery life.

Does anyone have any data on this help my decision?

I currently drive a diesel Mercedes E250 that gets 40mpg and about 1000 miles on a tank of fuel and has been a very reliable and comfortable car.

Thanks!

I’m seriously considering a Model S but am concerned about how my high mileage commute would affect long term battery life.

I currently drive a diesel Mercedes E250 that gets 40mpg and about 1000 miles on a tank of fuel and has been a very reliable and comfortable car.

Thanks!
have you tested your commute on www.abrp.com for the Model S?
A-better-route-planner has collected a lot of real world driving and charging data that they put in their algorithm to calculate routes.

Thanks!

Private owners have driven lots of miles.

A small sample of Teslafi.com's subscribers:

1635007448703.png

An owner with 745,000 miles after four motors and three battery packs:

Another story:

Commercial Tesloop:

• Helpful
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
I have 126k miles on my 2016 S75, the great majority of miles the result of a 120 mile round trip commute. From a battery discharge perspective, that's roughly the same as a 160 mile round trip on a 100kwh battery like you'd find in a more recent long range car. A typical charge cycle for me is 90%-30%.

I also traded from a VW TDI and so far haven't regretted it for an instant.

My car was rated for 249 miles when new, it now charges to 218 at 100% (~12% degradation in 5 years). That's more degradation than I was expecting, but not really an issue. It's slowed significantly in the past two years (I've lost two miles in the last 18 months).

Go for it. Model S is a great commuter. I'm on the original battery and drive unit with no problems to speak of.

Thanks!
High mileage users will benefit the most from driving an EV over an ICE due to the reduced fuel and maintenance costs. Furthermore, adding the miles quickly reduces calendar battery degradation. Example, my 2011 Leaf has only 60,000 mi (~800 cycles) but more degradation than a user who managed to get 150,000 mi (2000 cycles) in only three years. Remember, the original Leaf has the worst battery chemistry for degradation and no thermal management.

A 360 mi battery should easily go 1000-2000 cycles: 360,000 to 720,000 mi. Your commute works out to 45,000 mi/year and I would expect at least ten years of easy commute. If you can charge to 80% SOC both at home and at work, there will be less stress on the battery (and your worry as well).

Work out the numbers on costs. These numbers are just estimats, and probably conservatively skewed towards the diesel. I can easily get 5mi/KWh in summer, so perhaps 4mi/KWh should be used. Also, I’m taking your 40 mpg value at face value, but most people don’t actually get what they think they’re supposed to get. I’m therefore assuming that you actually track your yearly consumption and total costs and the 40 mpg number is actually accurate. In contrast, I had a friend tell me that she “got” 40mpg, but when I looked at the actual EPA numbers, that was only for the “eco-version “ (that she didn’t actually purchase), and only highway (not city which was only 20mpg). Since her car was mostly used in town, there was no way she was even close to 40mpg, probably closer to 25mpg. Anyway, I digress.

Here diesel is $4/gal and electricity is $0.07/KWh. (My location)
45,000mi/40mpg*$4=$4500/yr diesel fuel.
45,000mi/3mi/KWh*$0.07/KWh =$1050/yr electric.
Maintenance costs? Nothing except wipers & tires for my Leaf.
How many oil changes on a diesel? For gas, a couple times per year? I don’t really know the frequency or cost since I haven’t had one done in 10+ years. Do your own realistic calculations and don’t forget to include the benefits of pre-warming the EV inside your garage every morning.

2015 S85D with 100 mile daily commute, currently at 137,000 miles.
Average speed 75mph in the morning, 50-55 mph evening.
Solid mix of home charging and supercharging (4 superchargers on my route)
Rated range 270 miles new, currently ~250.
Plan on keeping this car until it is no longer drivable.

Hope that helps!