Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lock or Charge First? When you arrive home with your Tesla, what's your routine?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Tesla family, I just got my MY this week and I have a question. When you arrive home and plug in your charger, do you lock your car first and then charge it or do you plug in the charger first and let the car automatically lock the doors with the 'walk away lock' feature? I'm not sure if the car will automatically lock when the charger is plugged in, so any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

1. park in garage, exit car
2. exit car and close door, get charger and plug in
3. walk in the house and hear the alarm beep as I walk away (yes I am one who lets my car lock even though its in the garage, years of BMW ownership and 12v battery life discussions around locking the car developed this habit).

TL;DR - plug in charger and let walk away lock lock the car.

I set my MYP to walk away lock. Yes, even in the garage at home, because I don’t see a benefit in not doing that.

I‘ve had two vehicle break ins some 20 years ago (once for a crappy CD player then again for spare change, despite having a nice/expensive looking cassette player this time) in a pitiful 1997 Mitsubishi Mirage (aka Lancer).

Then I had an attempted break in on a 1999.5 Nissan Pathfinder (mixed model year 1999/2000) in 2008. They failed getting in, but left dents surrounding all my doors because it seemed like they were trying to pry the doors out (maybe to give room to reach in with something to unlock the doors). This was in a supposedly safe neighborhood where people leave Porsches/Lambos/etc unlocked.

Finally, after moving to a house, had someone break in to the house to steal spare change from there too.

So yeah, I’ll leave things locked.

tl;dr plug in, walk away lock.

I mean, it kinda sounds like leaving things locked has caused you way more headache? If someone wants to steal my CDs and spare change I’d rather they were able to do it without breaking my car window or denting every door trying to pry it open. ;)
About 30 years ago I was staying overnight at a friend's house in a fairly nice area. When I went to leave in the morning I found that I had left my door unlocked and someone ripped out my fancy aftermarket stereo taking some of the dash with it. I felt so stupid for leaving my door unlocked during the hour drive home staring at the hole in my dash where my stereo used to be. I talked to my friend later in the day to learn that they had stolen his stereo too but broke the driver's window to get into his car.

Yeah... sure.
I think ucmndd's comment was made in jest.

I mean, generally yes. I’m certainly not suggesting we all just leave everything unlocked and trust that we’re all good people.

But your example is a great one - a determined thief is gonna take what they want, and everything is a risk calculation. I’d rather lose the 87 cents and Boyz II Men CD I left on the seat of my 1988 Honda Civic than lose them AND have to replace the window. ;)

Reactions: DrGriz and yblaser
I usually charge using a public L2 charging station. I don't always use walk away lock, I usually tap the lock vehicle icon as I exit my Model Y. I've lost count of the number of times I have opened the charge port, pressed the lock icon and then have to re-open the charge port. After plugging in I duck back inside my Model Y and tap the lock icon. In winter I am usually wearing gloves so I rely on the voice command 'Lock the doors" after plugging in the charging connector.

About 30 years ago I was staying overnight at a friend's house in a fairly nice area. When I went to leave in the morning I found that I had left my door unlocked and someone ripped out my fancy aftermarket stereo taking some of the dash with it. I felt so stupid for leaving my door unlocked during the hour drive home staring at the hole in my dash where my stereo used to be. I talked to my friend later in the day to learn that they had stolen his stereo too but broke the driver's window to get into his car.

That reminds me of when I had a Jeep Wrangler with a softtop and soft windows. All that locking the doors bought you was some idiot slashing the window to get in. I say idiot because it was obsurdly easy to unzip the windows from the outside and open the doors that way.

Reactions: yblaser
I always use the walk-away locking on my car, so after I plug it in, I walk away and it locks. I don't necessarily want it locked in the garage, but that's what it does and I can't be bothered to change it. No sentry in the garage, though.

You can simply select the "Exclude Home" checkbox under Controls > Locks > Walk-Away Door Lock if you don't want it to lock when in your garage. Easy peasy.

Maybe when we get solar then we'll plug it in whenever we get home, but for now no. Just get out of the car, get all groceries and things out, then walk away and smile when hearing the door lock telling the car he's a good boy. (Well, that's what I do, mom might not.) I live in a rural area so not too worried about thieves. That's what the dogs are for with us as backup.

Reactions: mark02115
I have tried to set the car to be unlocked at home. Problem is the charging screen stays on while charging unlocked. Locked it goes out. I wish it didn't do that. I wil be getting my car seviced tomorrow, I have a few questions for them.