Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Lock keys in car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a way to lock my keys in the car when I go into the gym?

Seems like when I do and I lock the car using the app it doesn’t actually do anything.

Meaning if I press the door handles it pops up even without me using the app. I’m assuming it’s because the keys are within range.

Is there a work around here?

I’m runnning 2018 Ms 11.1 2023.3.25

I think you'd have to block the signal. So... You could try...
Remove the battery from the key...
Wrap the key in foil...
Find a place in the car where the car doesn't see it. (I feel like there was a place in the back corner of the trunk where that happened once)

Is there a way to lock my keys in the car when I go into the gym?

Seems like when I do and I lock the car using the app it doesn’t actually do anything.

Meaning if I press the door handles it pops up even without me using the app. I’m assuming it’s because the keys are within range.

Is there a work around here?

I’m runnning 2018 Ms 11.1 2023.3.25
You can take the fob battery off or place your fob in a Faraday cage so its signal doesn't leak out to the car.

Reactions: mspohr
Fob is just a word. The most basic of nouns. It is not an acronym, it’s not capitalized, it’s just a fob. ;)

IMG_0227.jpeg

Last edited:
Hahahaha all the comments are technically correct, (which is the best kind of correct) but there is an easier way.

On the screen in the top left there is a lock icon tap that with the door open, set the key anywhere inside the car and shut the door. The key is now locked inside the car and you can unlock it with the app.

If you really are feeling froggy you can just wrap the fob in tinfoil just 1 layer so a pretty small piece and this will block the signal. But if you just push the lock button on the screen it's fully locked once you shut the door.

Hahahaha all the comments are technically correct, (which is the best kind of correct) but there is an easier way.

On the screen in the top left there is a lock icon tap that with the door open, set the key anywhere inside the car and shut the door. The key is now locked inside the car and you can unlock it with the app.

If you really are feeling froggy you can just wrap the fob in tinfoil just 1 layer so a pretty small piece and this will block the signal. But if you just push the lock button on the screen it's fully locked once you shut the door.
This doesn’t happen for me. If I keep keys in car and app locks the car the car isn’t really locked.
Cuz the keys are in the range.

Naw naw naw open the drivers door, set the key fob in the center console, push the lock button on the BIG MAIN DASH screen top left corner (not the app) close door. Handles will retract and it will be locked
Ahhh. I’ll try that in the morning. Just curious Why would that make a difference or make it better then leaving and locking the car with the app?

Naw naw naw open the drivers door, set the key fob in the center console, push the lock button on the BIG MAIN DASH screen top left corner (not the app) close door. Handles will retract and it will be locked
Ahhh. I’ll try that in the morning. Just curious Why would that make a difference or make it better then leaving and locking the car with the app?
That just the way the system works by design. I dono why they wrote the code to make it work that way, they just did 🤷‍♂️
interesting. I’ll try it. Thanks

Just realize if you're relying totally on the app to unlock the car that this requires both your phone and the car to have connection to the internet. For your vintage of MS, there is not a direct phone to vehicle communication path. It's actually going from your phone, via internet back to Tesla server, and then via internet to the car. If something were to happen where your car would lose cellular, you won't be able to unlock it with the phone app. Were many posts earlier on about people driving to mountain overlooks, in an underground garage, local transmission blocking cellular that ended up being locked out without their fob.

Reactions: android04
Just realize if you're relying totally on the app to unlock the car that this requires both your phone and the car to have connection to the internet. For your vintage of MS, there is not a direct phone to vehicle communication path. It's actually going from your phone, via internet back to Tesla server, and then via internet to the car. If something were to happen where your car would lose cellular, you won't be able to unlock it with the phone app. Were many posts earlier on about people driving to mountain overlooks, in an underground garage, local transmission blocking cellular that ended up being locked out without their fob.
Yeah that is true, what I do is I've connected my car to the wifi hotspot on my phone so if my phone has service and the car doesn't I can still access it. But 99.9% of the time I don't place my key fob inside the car so it's a non-issue.

For the OP says it's while at the gym so it's pretty unlikely the gym is located in a spot that has no cell signal in the parking lot but good looking out, a lot of people aren't aware of how the cell signal works for the cars. I always forget the new ones have that stupid key card crap 😂