Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Screen locks up!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today, I drove my Tesla M3 to the gym, after parking in an empty slot, I tried to open the trunk by touching the screen where it says Open Trunk.
Nothing happened, And the music from a karaoke song plays, I tried to pause it, could not do it !!!
No matter what I do the screen seems insensitive to my touch.

Don't know if anyone run into similar issue before ?

I open the Tesla app on my phone, then touch the "trunk Open", it opened, I feel relieved.
I got out of the car, close the door, the screen still shows what it showed, nothing changed at all.
I have to touch the lock icon on the app, finally the car locked and the screen went dark.

Getting off from the gym work out, I can open the car and drive it as usual.
The screen lock-up is scary. Never know why this occurred.
Sound more like a Windows PC went dead and once has to unplug, then later plug in to turn it back ON again to get it to work.

It can take 20-30 seconds of holding the scroll wheels until the screen blanks.

I sure wish Tesla would have programmed it to no more than 5-8 seconds, but I suppose they want to be sure you REALLY want to reboot the touchscreen before doing it.

You could power down if you want more speed.
it's a button in the 'service' menu.

(or maybe I've got it's placement wrong even though I've used it. I'm old - I have the earned privilege of forgetfulness.)

Holding the down two scroll wheels reboots the MCU (Multimedia Control Unit), not the car. You can do that while the car is moving or even when it's self driving cause that's a separate computer. Whenever your interface is slow or frozen, you can safely reboot the MCU.

Like any computer, the Tesla screen can freeze at times. Just reboot it; it may take longer than 10 sec holding the 2 buttons. You can do this while driving if it happens while driving. You can still drive safely; you just don't know your speed or any turn signal/sound that you may have on. It shouldn't take more than 30 sec to reboot.