Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Little Boy Blue Rotors grows up, gets legit, goes into semi-retirement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So this happened:
Screen Shot 2019-03-27 at 10.15.29 AM.png

I've got more pics I'll post later, when I've got some time, with some details of before they were turned to clean them up (two passes of 2/1000") and the husks of the MPP Mill Street pads that died saving them. The pads actually had a lot of meat left on them but the adhesive under the foil on the back bubbled and vaporized and the foil is now sitting loose, so I assume the pads are thoroughly cooked. Even though I never noticed the brakes losing any power while on track, the vehicle just threw a high brake temp error as I was coasting back into the pit row.

I need to save these discs to stay in Street class for Autocross but I'm going to need to get something with substantially more heat dissipation on before I road track again. Kinda messes up my schedule. Oh and new pads. I hadn't noticed the difference as much going to the Mill Street pads but going backwards oh my goodness, just driving around on the street it is so noticeable.

P.S. Got the on-site HPWC working and that totally rocked. I ran a 20-25 min session every second hour and was able to stay above 50% the whole day. I wouldn't even have needed to us the SC on the way there if I had gotten around to installing the HPWC on a prior day so I could start charging as soon as I rolled in the gate.

So this happened:
View attachment 390827

P.S. Got the on-site HPWC working and that totally rocked. I ran a 20-25 min session every second hour and was able to stay above 50% the whole day. I wouldn't even have needed to us the SC on the way there if I had gotten around to installing the HPWC on a prior day so I could start charging as soon as I rolled in the gate.

Wait is this something you had installed yourself at the site?

So this happened:
View attachment 390827
I've got more pics I'll post later, when I've got some time, with some details of before they were turned to clean them up (two passes of 2/1000") and the husks of the MPP Mill Street pads that died saving them. The pads actually had a lot of meat left on them but the adhesive under the foil on the back bubbled and vaporized and the foil is now sitting loose, so I assume the pads are thoroughly cooked. Even though I never noticed the brakes losing any power while on track, the vehicle just threw a high brake temp error as I was coasting back into the pit row.

I need to save these discs to stay in Street class for Autocross but I'm going to need to get something with substantially more heat dissipation on before I road track again. Kinda messes up my schedule. Oh and new pads. I hadn't noticed the difference as much going to the Mill Street pads but going backwards oh my goodness, just driving around on the street it is so noticeable.

For those of us who have no idea what we are looking at...what are we looking at?

For those of us who have no idea what we are looking at...what are we looking at?
The edge of your rotors are painted grey. My front ones got hot enough that the paint color is permanently changed to red. You can't really see it from this angle but the edge on the inside edge of the friction surface is more like a blood red. I'll post the shot later.

I was pretty luck it seems. I just needed to get them turned. I was going to pull them off and take them in to the local O'Reily's Parts which will do that for you but they didn't want the touch them without me first using a stone grinder to take off the surface. So I took them to a shop to do the whole thing (cost me $140). They found it wasn't necessary to pre-grind, they were pretty impressed about the quality of the rotors. Less impressed that Tesla wouldn't answer their questions about the tech specs on how much they could lath them down. :p "Just bring them in." LOL

• Informative
Reactions: SD_Engnr
Heat reaction between the cast iron rotor and the anti-corrosion paint.

The noise when this factory Brembo rotor let go on my old track Cobra under high speed braking at Mosport was incredible. Similar iron discolouration on the factory grey paint. Hung it on my garage wall as a souvenir:

54D2278C-859A-41A7-866C-3E42FC570877.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: SammichLover