Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Common Australian Pickup Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks mate. appreciate that tip thats a good one. So easiest path for parts is I go into the service app with my part numbers I want and go from there. Nice
you can put your part number in the box where you “describe concern”. You will have to book a service appointment so book that a few days ahead but they will call you to cancel if the parts arent available

Reactions: OzTzlaBloke
Bit of a safety thing that I hope Tesla update

If an owner has enabled the beep on green traffic lights auto option. the model 3 will falsely beep on the belief the traffic light is green while failing to understand the light is actually red in some cases. When at a stop where there is multiple possible directions straight/left/right, Tesla's doesnt comprehend the multi traffic light situation despite having the blinker on to show intent. Since there is no distinction between multiple traffic lights it will beep on green falesly while actually red when the traffic light is delayed to reach green on left/right and the main go straight has now turned green.

This happened on both .7 and .8 patches recently

The go-to track upgrade for the M3P used to be transplanting Model S brakes.

Interesting.

Does it bolt up to the model 3 hub without adapters? Adapters arent ideal cos that then requires an approved engineering signatory to evaluate it and have a blue mod plate certified onto the vehicle as an engineer approved modified vehicle. Adapters beyond rego policy can be a source of undesirable elasticity as well if the design isnt great.

Also assuming the model S calipers and so on, the brake balance F/R how does that get impacted? People that have done this do they fiddle with the tuning in the master cylinder bore sizing to compensate?

If an owner has enabled the beep on green traffic lights auto option. the model 3 will falsely beep on the belief the traffic light is green while failing to understand the light is actually red in some cases. When at a stop where there is multiple possible directions straight/left/right, Tesla's doesnt comprehend the multi traffic light situation despite having the blinker on to show intent.

Well, yes, if you are turning left or right at an intersection with left/right turn traffic signals, you’ll generally get the beep on green for straight ahead, even with your indicator on.

There have been a few occasions where this hasn’t happened to me when waiting to turn, and I only got the beep on the green arrow and not the straight ahead green, but it is pretty rare.

Bit of a safety thing that I hope Tesla update

Simply don't rely on the beep.
It's more a carryover from FSD beta being US only.

US road rules don't allow clustered lights afaik. You basically have a single light per lane, and is why most US intersections have wire across them.

As Tesla continues to account for differing road rules, and signage and lights in other parts of the world this will change.

I feel bad for folk who had US made Teslas with grit in their paint job all contaminated and so on. I can only personally attest to my own Tesla experience which is limited to this first Tesla vehicle, which was built in March 2023 @ Shanghai. I picked it up @ Tesla Delivery centre this month July.

IMG-0013.jpg

Please note there has been no polishing no compounding no sanding no anything of that sort on my vehicle. I havent even coated it yet thats a bit later my associate is doing it for me.

IMG-0010.jpg

And

IMG-0006.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: MickyD and Vostok
Super happy with my first Tesla mobile service experience :cool:

The service centre did the isolate via tape/felt/rubber sorta fix like the youtube channel suggested

As a subscriber to Tesla's subscription ESM and ECP I knew my VIN didnt have any "recalls". However for my M3P atleast 2023 March build they also did a "APAC_IP Speaker Grille Replacement" part IP, SPEAKER GRILLE, ASY, BASE 1083390-80-1". I guess youd call this an internal recall or something.

Reactions: Goneincognito
I feel bad for folk who had US made Teslas with grit in their paint job all contaminated and so on. I can only personally attest to my own Tesla experience which is limited to this first Tesla vehicle, which was built in March 2023 @ Shanghai. I picked it up @ Tesla Delivery centre this month July.

View attachment 958790

Please note there has been no polishing no compounding no sanding no anything of that sort on my vehicle. I havent even coated it yet thats a bit later my associate is doing it for me.

View attachment 958791

And

View attachment 958792
That looks gorgeous. They don't all turn up in good condition, but when they do the red ones look great.

So whaddya's think on the Tesla 3/Y current voice recognition capability for Aussie accents?

I think its very very very poor

If I was to take Apple's Siri as say 10 on a scale, Id say Tesla at current release versions are like 2 or 3
It usually translates my voice into the correct text, but then doesn't understand the command. It seems a lot of intuitive commands are missing. I haven't written all of the events down, but it is things like:
Me: "Activate Camp Mode"
Text translation: "Activate Camp Mode"
Text response: "Muting Navigation"
Me: "Perfect, thanks Tesla" followed by several touchscreen inputs.

• Funny
Reactions: Zinzilla
The once or twice I’ve tried to use the voice commands they’ve been absolutely useless. Wanted to pre-condition the battery for supercharging so tried “navigate to nearest supercharger” “navigate to box hill supercharger” and about 10 other phrases, none of them understood by the car. Pathetic.

you can put your part number in the box where you “describe concern”. You will have to book a service appointment so book that a few days ahead but they will call you to cancel if the parts arent available

Thanks Paul

So went through this process and Im *SUPER* impressed with Tesla. Just wow :cool:

Bottom line: Tesla want customers to love their cars. I know the industry well and I know all the tricks most of them do to milk the cash cow that is their customers. Tesla do none of that, like:

1. Free access to the service manual. This can literally be thousands for a time limited subscription.
2. Free access to the parts catalog. This is usually pricey too, or a third party gets involved in the above and this and packages it up at less money but then the info is harder to keep current and is often not current.
3. Parts prices.......Just wow! So so good. Like many want more than a thousand for door cards, Euro often multiple thousands. Tesla, a few hundred.

towhook.jpg

Brand new genuine tow hook only cost me $20.91!!! So so many people trying to sell on ebay second hand ones @ like $80 without shipping

DANGER: Anyone who needs front and rear tow hooks for their club events and the like, DO NOT buy the great majority of aftermarket "tow hooks" as found on Amazon and Ebay etcetc. They are not engineered. I took the fastest slightest glance at one total disaster machined part in aluminium and I knew right away the product was no where near as strong as it needs to be. They were trying to pass it off as some sort of trick race stuff. Its junk. Nothing more than machined crappy aluminium alloy, none of the six series alloys or anything that real motorsport would use and its not even heat treated so so so dodgy. For giggles I messaged them and they came back confirming it is for "decoration" and nothing in their ad is either a statement or true hahahaha Total tossers

wheeltrimtool.jpg

The wheel trim tool cost me a whole catastrophic $7. Winning hehe!

Why use this tool? Yes many of you will have non marking interiour/exteriour tools just like me for clips etcetc. But, to my mind real quality work is always about understanding the material science of the arts and having workshop practices to suit. Nothing annoys me further than dodgy ass practices. Not torquing to spec, damaging components, not replacing one use parts, not following OEM fluid specifications for no reason etcetc

The simly fact is by poking the tool into the hole of the wheel trim, the forces to unclip it are much more friendly than otherwise even with extra care using a non marking pyring tool on the edges. Youll get a crap tonne more cycles of off/on using the proper clip vs any other method. Especially with plastics subject to UV rays and the like its way better to have long term sensible approaches to the entire car.

This is why I never let muppets near my vehicles who are unknown. A new car is "muppet free" and Im determined to keep it that way

Plus it was thrilling to rock up to the ACT Service Centre. So much eye candy. Im in love ♥️ Total fan boi mode hehehe 😍 They had a very very lovely blue model S with the rego plates "PLAID" so so good. A crap tonne of other interesting Teslas there too. Im amazed I walked out of there without drooling back to the M3P with a Tesla t shirt hahaha :)

So went through this process and Im *SUPER* impressed with Tesla. Just wow :cool:
3. Parts prices.......Just wow! So so good. Like many want more than a thousand for door cards, Euro often multiple thousands. Tesla, a few hundred.

Hundreds? If you mean the RFID cards - Tesla sell a pair for $45. I bought a pair when my wife lost one.

Key fobs (if they are ever in stock) cost about $230 IIRC. I thought I would definitely need/want a key fob before I got my car, but once I did, I realised I don’t 😄