Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Common Australian Pickup Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Diag.jpg

Had another good look at the wifi and bluetooth. I've determined its for sure all OK. I think maybe the delivery centre didnt reset the vehicle properly before handing it to me on their setups. Since I force rebooted it using the steering buttons its been all fine.

Also while the vehicle was taking in the 2023.20.8 mini bugfix release I took a good look at the wifi config.

* its 802.11AC so Wifi 5 with clear use of 5ghz bands
* Seems a bit lower on output power through measured DB compared to other great clients like iphone pro max etc but about the same as more general clients
* I grabbed 12.8 MB/s on the update download
* the antenna seems to be coming from the drivers side mirror

• Informative
Reactions: JonDarian
Ok so reporting on yesterdays antics with my associate

Screenshot 2023-07-15 185633.jpg

Was good to visualise the lifting procedure. Super simple.

Ok so my mate is a savant with surface finishing in paint. Ill spend five minutes starting at two panels in a "test", and he will within five seconds spot which one is correct and which one has problems. His defintion of problems is next level. In his multi booth big time operation hes done show cars, exotics you name it. He has massive capitol investments in tooling and diagnostic gear almost to a hoarder level of obsession.

So he fully went into it sat arvo. Panel gaps were OK. He determined paint presentation was OK. However I got a scolding because I have "water spots" lol :) After a five minute lecture on the evils of water spots he got into the paint depth measurements which were OK. Then it was onto multiple jigs he has. One was body stuff just so he could measure, The second one took measurements of all travel in the links + all geometry toe/castor/camber + graphed the camber change vs articulation of the links + measured the bumpsteer and a whole bunch of stuff that will be useful later for us. Not having mcpherson struts and the problems with the falling away of the roll centre is just so good by Tesla in the M3.

His conclusion the spray job : GREAT, flawless but owner gets a naughty mark for water spots

What this means before any critics misinterpret his context is:

* Its not a show car spray job. So it doesnt have that sense of depth that comes from 8 layers of paint etcetc
* The testing is limited to non destructive testing. So, this means one example is that the hardness of my paint is unknown. Other people have suggested its pretty soft which would be consistent with general auto industry trends for mass market vehicles. These others have fairly newish examples from GigaShanghai too so it should be reasonable to assume the process remains the same at the plant as those other examples.

• Informative
Reactions: JonDarian
Are you sure your comparing the same units of measurement?

e.g The WLTP range of my performance M3 is 547 KLM

Measured using Tesla's navigation system method, I have 490 KLM range at full SOC
I am not sure what you are asking, sorry. I have compared the WLTP range (in km) for both the Model Y RWD and the '22 Kona EV (extended range) and driven both on the same return highway trip. I have also driven them both on longer, but not identical highway trips. Their WLTP range is similar. When the Tesla was struggling to make 300km on the highway, the Kona was getting over 350km.

braking.jpg

Just say yes to track mode :)

I figured a few hundred kilomteres is enough to bed in the gears in the drive unit and so on so well thats my excuse haha :)

Anyway wanted to put my mind at ease with the brakes so obviously for serious scientific "testing" purposes the brakes needing diagnostic assessment :)

I managed to pull 1.3Gs under brakes which is what a Bugatti Veyron also does

Thats still on the OEM P Zero ELECT PNCS Pielli's

I still dont like the brake pads and the brake lines are equally crap and I need a brake master cylinder brace but Im in love with the chassis dynamics and braking system overall. The polar moment of this vehicle just wow. All the mass so low Ive never owned a vehicle with such a low COG thats not a track only car. An ICE road car would be impossible to get the COG so low.

Its got a few hundred on the odo and shortly itll have proper brake lines and no flex in the master cylinder and will have all the old hydrualic fluid vacuumed out replaced with proper high temp kinematically stable fluid

Anyway Im rattling on apologies fellas. The short of it, brakes are OK

Quick tip: There is a brake burnishing service option in the service area of the display I dont think my delivery centre did this I had to manually disable the electric regen and bed them in myself @ 11klms. No biggie. Or more likely the delivery operator "thought" he did the procedure but is clueless/time pressured so it was tick n flick with a random drive round the block done next vehicle etc.

Last edited:
There is a rattle in the B Pillar where the seatbelt height adjusts.
This may be of some help.
L E G E N D. Thanks so much Goneincognito! Thats exactly it for sure. I had figured it was somewhere in the seat belt height adjuster as putting a finger on it while its rattling stopped it. I had also figured out it was more annoying at the lowest height which is what I set it too. This bloke on youtube sussed all that and has fixes. Like how he has notion for not too much deadening otherwise adjusting suffers. This is brilliant thanks

Think maybe Tesla cap it 10MB/s maybe. Its a substantial download would have preferred to see 50 MB/s I was impatient.i can see why the delivery centres arent updating the firmware prior.
All traffic goes through a VPN so maybe that slows it.. Some cars will download an update in a delivery centre, just depends on whether that VIN is randomly selected for an update or not.

As you've probably worked out download speed doesn't really matter as it's a long process anyway.
During download there is a 20-30min error check in the middle , and again 5-10min at the end (maybe quicker in the newer Ryzen cars?)

And then another 25+ minutes to install.

Yes Ive been critical of the M3P brakes in specific parts but I do generally like the overall system. I dunno how much of it is relevant to most people. Seems a bit unfair to think my interests are mainstream. 99% of mass produced cars/4wds will have

* Pads that cant handle track temps
* Fluid that cant handle track temps
* Flexible lines that expand detracting from feel and brake modulation
* Flexible master cylinder structures which detract from feel and brake modulation

But plenty dont care. I like the overall brake system it just exhibits undesirable stuff of the usual suspects its a mass produced car

For me, I know from my decades past that fixing these common things is easy. Pads / fluids / braided lines / master cylinder braces step 1.. I know how to do the maths/simulations to project out different ideas further - like how much a given increase in rotor diameter is likely to impact temps etcetc. How to explore more ducting to the rotor. How differences in the rotors metallurgy really matters - like higher carbon content and the effort put into heat treatment with how much retained austenite instead of martensite etcetc

I have the part numbers for Tesla's front and rear track pads. They around $AUS800 each front or rear from memory dont have the exact quote handy. Thats pretty high. You can buy some seriously good pads from famous brands for less or around the same. Plus Im uncertain on it cos I dont know specific things. I cant see the coefficient friction vs temperature graph. Theres no info on abrasive wear characteristics both for the pads like are they endurance pads or not? How are they on rotors? So many questions and Im not all that keen on randomly buying them and realising I could have done way better from circo or winmax or heck even pagid at Teslas pricing

Endless RF650 is the goto fluid. Exceeds dot 5.1 and backwards compatible plus most of all its kinematic stability is pretty much unchanging across a very very wide temperature range way more stable pedal than say castrol srf and similar. Used in F1. Plus its not acid death to caliper seals and doesnt need to be flushed after each meeting.

Step one will be telemetry with logging it on a track once Ive done the basics. So far its new and Ive only just bed in the various gears etcetc in the drive units. I know without much effort at all I can easily do 550c pads that are great from cold, if I slim down the choices further 650c pads but also have the coefficient of friction high at cold temps with decent street manners. Rally gravel or autocross pads tend to be a good starting point.

Ive had a good look at the M3P Brembo calipers theyre ok. The rotors arent great it would be much better in a proper two piece disc / hat even just the same diameter but made of much better materials / heat treating and better design in vented cooling way way better than this so called bimetal rotor stuff Tesla have come up with which are one piece and not great in venting plus theyre heavy its an easy way to reduce sprung mass vs unsprung mass ratios going to decent 2 piece lightweight rotors. 2 piece better spec rotors would also exhibit better wear characteristics beyond the thermals.

Im not too worried if I cook the pads and buckle the rotors in some testing Im just not a fan of random pot luck with not having any info on these tesla track pads which would be around AUD$1600 for front and rear

Last edited:
Yes Ive been critical of the M3P brakes in specific parts but I do generally like the overall system. I dunno how much of it is relevant to most people. Seems a bit unfair to think my interests are mainstream. 99% of mass produced cars/4wds will have
I'm not a track-oriented driver, but there seems to be a lot of talk over in the "Driving Dynamics" part of the forum.

* I am also a Tesla owner (as per my profile/photo). The Tesla (red multi-coat) paint is awful by comparison - soft and scratches/chips easily. Again I haven’t bothered with PPF or paint correction or anything like that, but I simply cannot compare the Porsche and Tesla paint quality.
I ordered Pearl White 'Multi Coat'. On delivery the paintwork was terrific, with about the same amount of 'orange peel' as our Benz E Class sedan. As far as "soft and scratches easily" I'm amazed at the paint's resilience. I accidentally opened the trunk (boot?) yesterday afternoon with the garage door down and it hit in two places hard enough that it stopped it opening. I was furious with myself and expected to see bare metal where it struck the metal door but as it turned out, there was nothing more than a scuff mark which I believe will buff out easily. I can't speak for the paintwork on the other colours but to me the white looks great with black accents, costs nothing more and is multi-coated. That's why I ordered it.

For new owners like me who might be concerned about the accessories store in Australia and the way Tesla market things. This is a summary of what I've found out

1. The emails youll get which are multiple addresses to AUS and NZ to reach Tesla staff : the staff are way way behind. They understand this is a problem. Their request is to ring for any matter needing response anytime reasonable. I personally don't think this is OK but it is what it is.
2. A great deal of their "information" on the store and how they deliver and by what means etcetc is all wrong to what ACTUALLY happens. They do in fact ship to APOs and will infact ship to Parcel Collect which under their logistics company provider usually means StarCrap, it forces them to pay for StarCraps so called "premium" delivery to do parcel collect APO drop offs. This avoids all the usual StarCrap antics like claiming failed delivery when they never entered the street or "loosing" the delivery to their mate at the pub etcetc
3. I tried bypassing the online store because of the issues above and other issues not mentioned. In general Tesla arent doing so great running a webstore professionally. Hopefully it improves. Theres a service centre in Beard ACT which I went to looking for accessories and they dont hold any stock despite being the only service centre anywhere remotely close to the whole region. The service centre is dam tiny and has stuff all parts in stock which genuinely surprised me in a disappointing way. Also I had a list of part numbers I wanted quoting on and needing to know delivery timeframes for and the bloke staffing the "counter" was almost like why again are you here hahaha. There is no parts counter. Its basically minimum furniture in a workshop slapped together in six hours the night before kinda style, There is no controlled inventory to speak of. No pick n pack for ultra routine stuff like air filters and so on. The delivery centre in Hume ACT has no stock of accessories nor of parts. The showroom in Civic ACT has zero accessories on hand and zero parts. Zero parts I can understand but zero accessories in the place you show customers the cars? Interesting.
4. Perhaps on a positive note the service staff I spoke to on the phone were entirely understanding and sympathetic. I got the impression the staff dont want it permanently like this. What impressed is they were rock solid on, hey look, we get it, if we stuff up well back it we wont let the customer suffer. That assurance in the worst case was most welcome from them.

For me I just kinda chucked the acceptance mode where the hot baby in the bed just farted in the middle of the night. Once I clued into the APO parcel collect that pushed more of the hassles back onto Tesla.

Ive since done four orders in over two grand of goodies. Im in acceptance mode. I feel the Tesla love haha :)

Last edited:
For new owners like me who might be concerned about the accessories store in Australia and the way Tesla market things. This is a summary of what I've found out

1. The emails youll get which are multiple addresses to AUS and NZ to reach Tesla staff : the staff are way way behind. They understand this is a problem. Their request is to ring for any matter needing response anytime reasonable. I personally don't think this is OK but it is what it is.
2. A great deal of their "information" on the store and how they deliver and by what means etcetc is all wrong to what ACTUALLY happens. They do in fact ship to APOs and will infact ship to Parcel Collect which under their logistics company provider usually means StarCrap, it forces them to pay for StarCraps so called "premium" delivery to do parcel collect APO drop offs. This avoids all the usual StarCrap antics like claiming failed delivery when they never entered the street or "loosing" the delivery to their mate at the pub etcetc
3. I tried bypassing the online store because of the issues above and other issues not mentioned. In general Tesla arent doing so great running a webstore professionally. Hopefully it improves. Theres a service centre in Beard ACT which I went to looking for accessories and they dont hold any stock despite being the only service centre anywhere remotely close to the whole region. The service centre is dam tiny and has stuff all parts in stock which genuinely surprised me in a disappointing way. Also I had a list of part numbers I wanted quoting on and needing to know delivery timeframes for and the bloke staffing the "counter" was almost like why again are you here hahaha. There is no parts counter. Its basically minimum furniture in a workshop slapped together in six hours the night before kinda style, There is no controlled inventory to speak of. No pick n pack for ultra routine stuff like air filters and so on. The delivery centre in Hume ACT has no stock of accessories nor of parts. The showroom in Civic ACT has zero accessories on hand and zero parts. Zero parts I can understand but zero accessories in the place you show customers the cars? Interesting.
4. Perhaps on a positive note the service staff I spoke to on the phone were entirely understanding and sympathetic. I got the impression the staff dont want it permanently like this. What impressed is they were rock solid on, hey look, we get it, if we stuff up well back it we wont let the customer suffer. That assurance in the worst case was most welcome from them.

For me I just kinda chucked the acceptance mode where the hot baby in the bed just farted in the middle of the night. Once I clued into the APO parcel collect that pushed more of the hassles back onto Tesla.

Ive since done four orders in over two grand of goodies. Im in acceptance mode. I feel the Tesla love haha :)
Tesla do not do dealership type experiences in australia. In adelaide tesla service is in a big shed formerly used to build mitsubishi’s. Its draughty, cold in winter and hot in summer. Its hard to find. They have a big transportable office out front that houses the stationary battery engineers who do all global major troubleshooting.

Tesla deliver the cars from a different building 10km away, which is an upgrade to the dusty portside transport yard that they previously used.

if you want parts for your car, the most efficient way is via the service app, especially routine parts like wiper blades and cabin filters which in adelaide are well stocked alongside regular fail items like 12v batteries and door handles for model s. They absolutely respond to the service app and in reasonable time. My most recent experience was need for a wheel nut cover. I asked in the app. A few hours later they had one in Adelaide so I drove to service and picked it up. It cost $1. Cant accept cash so did a $1 bank transfer. I found all consumable parts to be reasonably priced. They used to do oem tyres very cheap as well. Not sure if they still do.

For good or bad you have to wipe dealership models out of your head and embrace tesla adhoc managed via an app. Its quirky, it kinda works, and the service team are typically fantastic especially if you are decent to them.