Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Limited regen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

davezforce

IG @davezforce
Jan 18, 2017
NJ
Listings
Lately I’ve had limited regen braking (yellow dashed lines) while driving. It’s pretty much on all the time and even after driving 20+ miles it’s still doesn’t go away. The temp in NJ isn’t that cold yet. It’s currently 55 tonight and it’s been on constantly even during the 20 mile trip to dinner. Should I be concerned. My X only has 440 miles on it. Defective pack or is this normal?

Seems normal. I have the same thing in my S 100D (Delaware). Always limited regen in the morning/first part of drive even though temps are in the 50s. I think it's because the pack is not yet at optimal operating temp
This is correct, I have seen 55 degrees stated, but I'm guessing it's based on observation. At the end of the day, when the vehicle sits long enough for the battery pack to cool into the 50 degree range or lower, regen will be limited until the battery pack has warmed up enough to accept that rate of charge. Charging shortly before a trip (currently via scheduled charging, but soon via the coming departure time setting) is a good way for a commuter to offset that behavior in the morning, but unless said commuter can also charge at work (also shortly before departure), the issue will still likely present itself for trips to lunch and to return home.

Well, i was going to link it but now cant find it. Reddit has a 'winter is coming' mega thread that tells you all the things you can expect. The good news is, you have an X so it has a battery heater unlike the 3s which don't.

The key is as it gets cooler to leave the X plugged in even if it's fully charged, and to pre-condition if you want regen to work. 50 degrees is the start of 'cold' for batteries. If you precondition while plugged in, you use the AC not the battery to do that, and the heater has time to warm the battery up enough for regen.

or so the thread explains, this is my first winter with a Tesla, but I own other non-Tesla EVs that are older. They both don't limit regen, or if they do but they don't mention it.

The good news is, you have an X so it has a battery heater unlike the 3s which don't.
They don't have a separate battery heater but they are able to warm the battery by turning the inverter transistors part way on. Their heatsinks are, obviously, on the battery coolant loop.

50 degrees is the start of 'cold' for batteries.
I have a suspicion (but no more than that) that the threshold has been raised a bit in recent software releases. I suspect it's now around 55 °F. Anyone else notice higher temperature regen limitiation or is this just my over active imagination?

I have a suspicion (but no more than that) that the threshold has been raised a bit in recent software releases. I suspect it's now around 55 °F. Anyone else notice higher temperature regen limitiation or is this just my over active imagination?
I don't have any way of knowing whether or not an update has changed the behavior, especially at such a finite level, but I can tell you that in the two years I have owned my X, I have noticed the regen limit starting in the 50's. I can tell you that in my third year of ownership, I am seeing the same thing. Considering what I remember vs now, one thing that could be different and throwing off your perception is the overnight temperatures. For instance, I've seen the regen limited above 60 in the past two years when it was really cold when I got to work and left my vehicle but the temperature had increased dramatically by the time I got to the vehicle to go to lunch. OTOH, I've seen full regen (per IC) below 55 when the temperature was consistent between when I got to work and left the vehicle and got back to the vehicle to go to lunch.