Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regen Braking Limited

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys!

This is a stupid question but I am interested to hear your thoughts...

I have a 2018 Tesla Model 3 Long Range Dual Motor with 69k miles.

Today I was driving and only had a couple dots of regen limited and the light wasn't on.

I went down a 2 mile hill and then the regen light came on... and then a lot of dots showed up (photo below)

The thing is, the temp was 65 F out. Battery temp was at 70F.

Is this normal?

Attachments

• tempImage5n4z4k.png
    tempImage5n4z4k.png
    356.5 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_4923.jpeg
    IMG_4923.jpeg
    371.3 KB · Views: 71
Yeah, I would look at state of charge. At that temperature (70F) there is no regen limit.

If you start with a little bit of regen limit and you use regen a lot (going down a significant hill), regen will gradually decrease and that is by design. Regen is the equivalent of relatively strong fast charging (up to 65kW) so if the battery's cool or almost full the car won't accept it for long. As soon as you accelerate again the max regen value goes back up pretty quickly. It's not a static value based on temperature, it's dynamic based on multiple factors.

EDIT: 4.06V should indicate around 93%SOC in the car, based on what I found on a quick search. That's a high SOC, I think it's normal that regen is limited in your situation.

• Informative
Reactions: derotam