Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lighted Tesla T for nosecone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's really easy guys. Worst part is drilling the holes in the nosecone :)

I still need to do something about the reflection on the chrome. While I love the "T" as-is, I wonder if rather than lighting the back/sides of the T as we have done, if creating an LED "T" would have been better. In other words, remove the T emblem on the car and replace with a an LED version. It might be easier to visualize the T at night and I suspect wouldn't reflect off the chrome as much since the light would be on the top surface rather than than pointing down and out.

man I'm lazy. I still haven't hooked mine up from the first shipment lol

Ditto...partly b/c I really want to watch a video. Partly b/c I bought the Oznium remote, but am not sure I want to use it. I think I'd rather use the fog lamp connection, but at the same time I'd like to be able to change it to pulse or something if/when I want to and that bit with the other part to permit that confuses me... And I'm a bit of a procrastinator anyway. Just anxious about taking apart the S as well...had no such anxieties with my Prius and hacked the heck out of that sucker, but for some reason this thing makes me nervous.

It's really easy guys. Worst part is drilling the holes in the nosecone :)

I still need to do something about the reflection on the chrome. While I love the "T" as-is, I wonder if rather than lighting the back/sides of the T as we have done, if creating an LED "T" would have been better. In other words, remove the T emblem on the car and replace with a an LED version. It might be easier to visualize the T at night and I suspect wouldn't reflect off the chrome as much since the light would be on the top surface rather than than pointing down and out.

Ditto...partly b/c I really want to watch a video. Partly b/c I bought the Oznium remote, but am not sure I want to use it. I think I'd rather use the fog lamp connection, but at the same time I'd like to be able to change it to pulse or something if/when I want to and that bit with the other part to permit that confuses me... And I'm a bit of a procrastinator anyway. Just anxious about taking apart the S as well...had no such anxieties with my Prius and hacked the heck out of that sucker, but for some reason this thing makes me nervous.

Actually I haven't done it yet for a few reasons

1) I was waiting for all the lighting/fuse connection/controller options to be sorted out

2) related to #1 I haven't bought the parts yet until I know exactly how I'm going to wire it

3) I ordered 3M carbon fiber di-noc for the nose cone so going to kill two birds with one stone

4) I also ordered 3M black 1080 wrap for the chrome piece in the middle of the nose cone to reduce the reflection

So it's a bit more then wiring it up as I'm going to do all of this at once.

:)

I am receiving my car next week (P85) and the lighted T and carbon fiber covering for the nosecone are the two things I want to tackle first..
Artsci -- Do you have any of these left or are they all sold out? ALso, if I want to keep things simple, and not get the add-on box, if i hook into daytime running lights, does that mean it stays lit when it is dark and my real headlights are on -- i.e., does that keep it on at night as well? Also, do headlights stay on for 60 seconds or so after you leave the car, thereby allowing me to see my lit "T"?
Thanks

I am receiving my car next week (P85) and the lighted T and carbon fiber covering for the nosecone are the two things I want to tackle first..
Artsci -- Do you have any of these left or are they all sold out? ALso, if I want to keep things simple, and not get the add-on box, if i hook into daytime running lights, does that mean it stays lit when it is dark and my real headlights are on -- i.e., does that keep it on at night as well? Also, do headlights stay on for 60 seconds or so after you leave the car, thereby allowing me to see my lit "T"?
Thanks

If you look it up with the daylight running lights, when the headlights come on, the lighted T dims along with the daylight running lights. If you hook it up to the headlights, there is a setting in the controls to leave the headlights on when you exit the car. This is helpful if you arrive in dark garages or driveways. So the lighted T will stay on when you exit the car.

Thanks

I too want to keep it simple. I tried this 2 ways: just the headlights or on when the car is on (fuse 75). The problem with fuse 75 was that I never got to see it on myself. The problem with headlights is that I also wanted it during the daytime with DRL's. So, I have purchased some diodes and will run power from both DRL's and headlights. If it works, I will post pics of how I did this.

Thanks

We still have a number left in the current run. If you order now it may ship today or Monday at the latest.

I you hook into the DRLs the T will be on when the DRLs are on. Same with the headlights.

We still have a number left in the current run. If you order now it may ship today or Monday at the latest.

I you hook into the DRLs the T will be on when the DRLs are on. Same with the headlights.

so what's the consensus on this thread, hook up to the DRLs?? oznium controller? Anyone figure out how to do both? (oznium controller that's always on and remembers settings but T only comes on when DRLs are on?)

Success! I have installed the T to both DRL's and the headlights. Now, they are on most of the time, including when I exit the car so that I get some personal enjoyment, and fully automated so that I have no need to do anything.

First, I picked up a package of Diodes from Amazon here.
I then soldered some small strips of wire to each end of the diode as in this pic (make two of these, and don't make fun of my soldering please):
IMG_2352.JPG

I then took these two setups, and crimp connected them together on the power side (end of the diode with the silver strip). Next, I sealed the diode/soldered sections with shrink tubing. I placed crimp connectors on the other(power receiving) ends. My crimps don't match together well, as I ran out of one type and had to switch. Using the Posi-locks, I have one wire going from the DRL lead, and one from the headlight lead. If I decide I only want one or the either in the future, I simply unplug the one I don't want:
IMG_2395.jpg

Success! I have installed the T to both DRL's and the headlights. Now, they are on most of the time, including when I exit the car so that I get some personal enjoyment, and fully automated so that I have no need to do anything.

I then soldered some small strips of wire to each end of the diode as in this pic (make two of these, and don't make fun of my soldering please):

I then took these two setups, and crimp connected them together on the power side (end of the diode with the silver strip). Next, I sealed the diode/soldered sections with shrink tubing. I placed crimp connectors on the other(power receiving) ends. My crimps don't match together well, as I ran out of one type and had to switch. Using the Posi-locks, I have one wire going from the DRL lead, and one from the headlight lead. If I decide I only want one or the either in the future, I simply unplug the one I don't want:

Excellent 4Super9! I love to see other owners developing their own solutions!

View attachment 45566

View attachment 45567

Sorry for my ignorance, but isn't the DRL on when the headlights are on? Isn't the extra current going to overload the lighted T? artsci, do you know if the lighted T can handle the extra load?

Last edited:
Sorry for my ignorance, but isn't the DRL on when the headlights are on? Isn't the extra current going to overload the lighted T? artsci, do you know if the lighted T can handle the extra load?

1/ The DRL wire does not have voltage present when the headlights are on. I learned this the hard way.
2/ There is no risk of "extra" current going to the LED T. It doesn't work that way. The diodes will keep current flowing in one direction. The amount of current the LED T draws remains the same. You can over drive voltage, not current. Both "feeds" are coming from the same 12V source.

1/ The DRL wire does not have voltage present when the headlights are on. I learned this the hard way.
2/ There is no risk of "extra" current going to the LED T. It doesn't work that way. The diodes will keep current flowing in one direction. The amount of current the LED T draws remains the same. You can over drive voltage, not current. Both "feeds" are coming from the same 12V source.

Thank you for that information. When I get my MS back, I'll try this.

I tried the 2 diode setup a few weeks ago but couldn't get the T to light up from the headlights. I may have tapped the wrong wire (even though I thought I followed the instructions) but then ran out of opportunity to play more with it. The DRL portion worked fine. What is the location and color of the headlight wire again?

I tried the 2 diode setup a few weeks ago but couldn't get the T to light up from the headlights. I may have tapped the wrong wire (even though I thought I followed the instructions) but then ran out of opportunity to play more with it. The DRL portion worked fine. What is the location and color of the headlight wire again?

Red wire with white strip in the bundle that attached to the headlamps.

Did you test each diode? It's possible that one was labeled incorrectly.

Did you test each diode? It's possible that one was labeled incorrectly.

Yes, it didn't work either without a diode directly from the headlight wire.

(The advantage of connecting everything with Posi-Tap connectors - can be modified in a minute ...)

I got strange fluctuating/pulsating voltage readings for the supposed headlight wire, but as I said ran out of time and opportunity to check into it more. Being on crutches for a few more weeks doesn't help :-(