Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lifetime Average Wh/mi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For me it is almost like a game to see how efficient I can drive the car. After playing with it when I first got the car I was around 360-365, but I've brought my average down to 347-348. I think I can get it down even further.

As I suspect most people do, I pretty much drive the same route to work every day and back. So every morning I try to beat my record for using the least amount of energy to get to work. I know just when to coast/regenerate and I know how when and how much to accelerate in some areas to maximize my efficiency. I hate it when another car causes me to waste unnecessary energy (e.g. cutting in front of me and hitting their brakes).

The car has also made me changed my driving habits. I plan my day better to avoid as much traffic as possible. If that means leaving 15 minutes earlier than usual (it makes a difference in my morning traffic), then I do. If that means abstaining from taking that frivolous trip to the mall in high traffic, then I do.

Sure I like to jam on the accelerator and feels some Gs every once in a while like everybody else, but for the most part I really try to be as efficient as possible.

The most striking thing after getting accustomed to this electric car is when I drive my old gas engine car, I realize how much energy is wasted. Gas cars are just so inefficient compared to electric cars. The biggest one is no regenerative braking. The other is all the friction and heat it generates. And of course there is the shifting whether it is manual or automatic. I feel almost dirty when I drive a gas car nowadays.

430. Cold and wet in Portland, lots of hills and I think I'm driving fast.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359657084.337009.jpg

No tricks I just drive no more than 5 miles over the speed limit and haven't really ventured out onto interstates with 70 mph speed limits yet. I would guess that my highway driving hasn't been more than 400 miles total. Other than that, to me the S feels like a Stately luxury car and I drive it with the care that implies. Spirited driving for me is usually very short lived to show passengers what the car could do. I keep up with traffic, but I don't rush anywhere. Atlanta hasn't had a very cold Winter so that has helped. I do note a significant improvement in efficiency (something like 10%) when comparing driving in temperatures between 30 to 40 degrees F verses 60 to 70. So I expect my average to drop thru the Spring, but not sure what will happen when AC is needed in the Summer.

I do note a significant improvement in efficiency (something like 10%) when comparing driving in temperatures between 30 to 40 degrees F verses 60 to 70. So I expect my average to drop thru the Spring, but not sure what will happen when AC is needed in the Summer.
That's interesting, b/c I've seen the opposite. The 254Wh/mi segment I posted was from a 2 day warm spell with temps in the 60s/70s. I attributed that to a warmer (happier) battery pack as well as lower climate control demands. Esp. from my Prius experience I expected highest efficiency within the temperature range where the human body is most comfortable. (60s to low 80s F)

435 over 1600 miles. It's been chilly in Oregon in the 30s, but no where near Minnesota chilly. Not sure why my energy usage is so high.

400 even, and I'm just over the river. My guess is that the rain increases rolling resistance, coupled with colder temps. A double whammy.

- - - Updated - - -

On the plus side though.. at 8 cents/kWh.. my 400 wh/mi is like 200 wh/mi in California .. so, I'll take the rain, and the cheap electricity thank you very much.

As a matter of fact, this thread would be even more interesting if instead of just wh/mile we did an additional bit of math and used local electricity rates to calculate $/mile (edit: I see gg did that above)

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_1209.jpg

222.4 kWh @ 8 cents/kWh == 17.79 worth of electricity, so 17.79/557.9 == 3.1 cents per MILE. And that's at an inefficient 399Wh/mi

I'm sorry I stated that incorrectly. I believe I was trying to say the same thing as you efusco, but it came out wrong. Worst efficiency is in cold weather, best is in moderate temperature before the AC has to be turned on. Sorry that I stated it in such a confusing fashion. I'm expecting to do better than 288Wh/mile in the coming more moderate months.

I've been meaning to update this thread, but forgot to search for it until now.

I am at 361 Wh/mi since getting the car in November. Total miles = 6835.

Lucky for me, at least 50% of my charging is at work or at the Supercharger.

I've been meaning to update this thread, but forgot to search for it until now.

I am at 361 Wh/mi since getting the car in November. Total miles = 6835.

Lucky for me, at least 50% of my charging is at work or at the Supercharger.

David, does that imply that you don't plugin overnight at home some of the time? So, you could be starting with a cold-soaked battery thus leading to weaker Wh/mile numbers? Or, is it just spirited driving up 101 and 280? ;)

I've improved to 325 Wh/mile at 1,000+ miles. Car's always plugged in at home (14-50) and at work (110V).

I'm at 1565 miles and 397 Wh/mi. It has been a bit cold (for Portland) since I got the car (1/4/2013). I've given a number of "spirited" rides, although that is now finally tapering off. Most of my driving is my daily commute which is all back roads - NO freeway.

The big issue for me though is that I live on a hill, and I go over another hill every day to and from work (I'm guessing around a 300 foot elevation gain). This hill also had a big impact on the mileage in my Prius.

City streets and back roads can actually take a lot of energy. I find I get much better efficiency driving 55 on highways than I do on city streets where I have to stop every couple of blocks.
The S is very heavy and takes a lot of power to get started. This took a lot of adjusting for me as our previous Roadster was much more efficient on city street due to its lighter weight.
In addition, if you have higher rolling resistance on the city streets (slush, snow, etc) that will also hurt your efficiency.

424 wh/mi for my first 3,600 miles. Most of those miles are being logged driving my son to school early in the morning in the cold with lots of hills. Not ideal conditions. I am expecting much better when the weather warms and school lets out.

430. Cold and wet in Portland, lots of hills and I think I'm driving fast.

I'm in Portland/Vancouver area and my average at 1767 miles was 422 Wh/mi, about the same as you. This is for I-5 and US26 driving, crossing i5 bridge etc. I have a modest hill to climb and drive 70 mph most of the time. Yes its been cold and the energy usage is at least 20% higher than when warm.

Of interest is my last road trip (Portland to Bend, Or and back) about 160 miles each way. Plus gave four test drives to friends while there. So my trip average (driving up US26 to the Mt. Hood summit and back down) in very cold weather (low was 17°F but average around 35°) was 396 Wh/mi. Interesting and that suggests road trips where I pay attention to trying to achieve the "Rated" Wh/mi actually comes pretty close to achieving that.

I'm at 366 with most trips on the freeway (probaby averaging about 75 mph) with heat at 72°F and outside ambient air temps around freezing. Best mileage seems to come with longer trips--short hops seem to use a lot of energy initially warming the cabin (and probably the pack as well).