Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Let the hacking begin... (Model S parts on the bench)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it possible Tesla could make some sort of connector for the techs that actually fits both types of connector (has backwards compatibility) in which case the change in the connector wouldn't really be an issue at all for the techs once they had whatever new part they needed?

That's certainly possibly Andy the connectors were very close in layout. Seems an awful waste of effort though, designing a new universal connector then resupplying all the service centers with them, all for virtually no practical gain.

Maybe it's the result of a technical purist approach rather than a hard nosed business pragmatist thing? Maybe these new connectors are $0.05 cheaper from the supplier? Heck Tesla could have employed a new VP of diagnostic connectors and he/she wanted to stamp their mark?

It is odd though as the connector was the same as the Roadster, so they've stuck with it historically.

- - - Updated - - -

Why not, it could be a double sided connector. Use one side for the old cars and the other side for the newer cars.

That could work, though I was thinking a connector to DB9 lead for each style.... not seen an official Tesla diagnostics tester though.

Definitely interesting. It's close, but not quite the same connector. Very odd. I have never seen one with a different connector, and I've seen an EU on before as well. I also didn't see any different tool for this connection in Tesla's online service manual last I was on there, either. So, I'm confused for sure.

Maybe they are just messing with us.

It would be good to see a high quality picture of that connector, with measurements, so we can try to find the part.

Maybe they are just messing with us.

It would be good to see a high quality picture of that connector, with measurements, so we can try to find the part.

I can ask one of the guys who turned up to take a day light shot if it helps (it was pretty difficult to take a phone shot in a dark car park no matter how many phone flashlights we used :) )

Thing is if they've changed it physically, then good chance they've changed it electrically too. I'm 100% certain none of the guys involved would subject their cars to me playing a game of guess the pin layout :(

I can ask one of the guys who turned up to take a day light shot if it helps (it was pretty difficult to take a phone shot in a dark car park no matter how many phone flashlights we used :) )

It would. Perhaps something with a ruler next to the connector so we can get an idea of size.

I double checked with TE, and don't see any end-of-life or anything like that on the old connector, so it is strange they would change. Are you 100% certain that this isn't an _extra_ connector and the old one is not tucked away in there somewhere?

It would. Perhaps something with a ruler next to the connector so we can get an idea of size.

I double checked with TE, and don't see any end-of-life or anything like that on the old connector, so it is strange they would change. Are you 100% certain that this isn't an _extra_ connector and the old one is not tucked away in there somewhere?

Not 100% but close to it. It was exactly where my connector was, and despite putting my hand in and the slightly sharp metals back there couldn't feel anything else. It is feasible they have relocated somewhere completely different I guess.

I didn't pull any of the cubbies other than my own (liability fears :) ) but all came out as expected and were easy to replace BUT none of the cars have the premium consoles. There would be some logic to moving it I guess in light of this. So it very well be just another connector in the same place whose purpose is yet to be determined, and the diag port is somewhere completely different.

The Model X appears to use the same connector with a few more wires. I suspect they went with the new connector for the X, and when they redesigned the 12v system in the S (around September of 2015) they put the X-style connector in there too to make it simpler (one connector across the fleet). There is probably an adapter to go to the "old" style.

Looking at my documentation it seems like they changed the connector reference starting with the 2015 Tesla's (both RHD and LHD), prior to that the connector was referenced as X437, now it's X437A I don't have a new copy of the connector reference but I bet those who do could probably give an exact model/part number for the connector (every single one in the car is specified with a picture and part #), interesting that they have decided to change up the interface, including the pinouts (though that may be a side effect of adding more pins), if only I had a Model X to experiment on, any takers in New England?

@Ingineer
Can you get access to the Model X service manuals yet? when I tried just a week or two ago it said I wasn't authorized (even though I had a paid account and could get MS and Roadster details)

Here is a picture of a couple of cables I just made up (using the "old" Tesla connectors I now see from this thread).

I am wondering if the flat cable version would allow the cubby to be put back in place with the flat cable coming out above the cubby. Can someone measure the depth of the cubby? How many inches is it? Of course this is only for those who have the connector located behind the cubby which might also be the ones using the "old" connector.

IMG_0142.JPG

Here is a picture of a couple of cables I just made up (using the "old" Tesla connectors I now see from this thread).

I am wondering if the flat cable version would allow the cubby to be put back in place with the flat cable coming out above the cubby. Can someone measure the depth of the cubby? How many inches is it? Of course this is only for those who have the connector located behind the cubby which might also be the ones using the "old" connector.

You must be kidding, I just saw that cable on amazon and thought the exact thing to myself, as for the measurements what do you mean by depth? There should be more than enough space for the TDC end of the cable, whether the metal clips will accommodate the thickness of the cable is another story, do you have thickness measurements for the cable?

Related note, can I join the beta for TM-Spy? My primary device is an iPhone but I could pick up a cheap android tablet for testing purposes, I can also try out the new cable design. You can email me at my username + me.com