Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Least-used supercharger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Or maybe it was crucial initially, like Lusk but now is just part of a regional network. An actual mistake would be a surprise since TM would have put in a temporary SC on skids (like Aurora) if they had doubts about a location.
--
When I say "mistake" I mean it is an orphan because another planned SC has not been built yet and it can't be reached, or a destination that it is intended to connect to is not yet reachable. Kingsville, TX is not much of a destination for most Tesla drivers, but it is a part of a future route south to Brownsville. There would not be much reason to go there other than just to go there at this point.

I don't really understand why Lusk is on everybody's list. I'm going from Texas to Washington State this week, and need to get from I-80 to I-90. I couldn't do that without Lusk. (yes, there are other routes, but my wife doesn't want to go through any desert, so they are limited)

Or maybe it was crucial initially, like Lusk but now is just part of a regional network. An actual mistake would be a surprise since TM would have put in a temporary SC on skids (like Aurora) if they had doubts about a location.
--

Lusk, WY is not just regional. There are Google-fastest routes from between some regions that would pass through Lusk, WY, but it depends on I-80 Wyoming being built out.

I'm always surprised and delighted when I see another Tesla at a Supercharger. That is the norm, for there to be nobody else there, outside of California.

I would change slightly your position, "outside of California" to outside the western United States.

In the past year, I have seen Grants Pass full (albeit only 4 stalls), Springfield with 3/8, Woodburn with 5/8, The Dalles full (5/5). Even Detroit Lakes OR had someone arrive while I was there. Even coastal Oregon with its new SC in Lincoln City and Seaside had at least one other charging when I arrived. Boise had two users besides me on the day I spent the night at the hotel where the SC is located. (Yes, I keep notes on this sort of thing. :eek:)

I would change slightly your position, "outside of California" to outside the western United States.

In the past year, I have seen Grants Pass full (albeit only 4 stalls), Springfield with 3/8, Woodburn with 5/8, The Dalles full (5/5). Even Detroit Lakes OR had someone arrive while I was there. Even coastal Oregon with its new SC in Lincoln City and Seaside had at least one other charging when I arrived. Boise had two users besides me on the day I spent the night at the hotel where the SC is located. (Yes, I keep notes on this sort of thing. :eek:)
Absolutely right, now that you mention it. Centralia, WA is usually busy. There is activity at other Superchargers there -- I had forgotten.

In Texas, San Marcos is the one with the most traffic, I think. Others have some on weekends.

Boise had two users besides me on the day I spent the night at the hotel where the SC is located.
I've been watching this thread. My answer was going to be "all the ones I go to". I almost never see another car at a Supercharger. Your Boise observation surprised me. I drive by there about once or twice a week and always look, since you can see it from the highway driving by. It's maybe about once a month or every other month that I ever see a car there.

I've been watching this thread. My answer was going to be "all the ones I go to". I almost never see another car at a Supercharger. Your Boise observation surprised me. I drive by there about once or twice a week and always look, since you can see it from the highway driving by. It's maybe about once a month or every other month that I ever see a car there.

Rocky, this was about one year ago on a Thursday evening. One was charging when I arrived around 4:00PM, and another was charging when I awoke the following morning before I plugged in myself. (See? I used SC etiquette, and did not leave my car plugged in overnight!)

Rocky, this was about one year ago on a Thursday evening. One was charging when I arrived around 4:00PM, and another was charging when I awoke the following morning before I plugged in myself. (See? I used SC etiquette, and did not leave my car plugged in overnight!)
There was a funny thing at this Boise one. There was a guy who was trying to hit all 50 states with his Tesla last year, so we got the word out when he was coming through and had a gathering to meet him at the Boise Supercharger. We had 13 total, I think, and got some photos with all of them lined up at the Supercharger and were standing around chatting. A guy happened to show up from Twin Falls, having no idea about the gathering, and was needless to say surprised to see the Supercharger "full".

Lusk was an important link between west coast and Minneapolis/Chicago area before they had Superchargers through Nebraska and Kansas. It was part of the only west-east connection in the early days. I used many times. But now I guess it doesn't get a lot of use any more.

I'd vote Fremont 2 as the least used Supercharger. LOL

Last spring when we were driving to the Custer rally, there were 10 Teslas at Lusk when we arrived. Of course they were all heading to Custer for the rally.

Blanding Utah is my favorite supercharger. We were there a couple of years ago before there were superchargers on I-70 in Utah. It is at the town park and visitor center. The visitor center has great docents on the area history and local attractions. I bet it does not have much use now that other options are available.

Here in Baton Rouge, (6 stalls) we rarely see more than one occupied. We don't use it, but it is around the corner from our local Trader Joe's, so we usually pass by to see what is happening. If we see folks, we will stop and chat for a bit. One thing that we have noted is that on the screen, it often lists "2 for 6 stalls available", which we have never seen. We even tested the 6 stalls ourselves one day, to see if perhaps there was a charging problem. No, all measured normally. (The security guard for the parking lot got a bit upset that we were parking sideways to check them, though)!

Here in Baton Rouge, (6 stalls) we rarely see more than one occupied. We don't use it, but it is around the corner from our local Trader Joe's, so we usually pass by to see what is happening. If we see folks, we will stop and chat for a bit. One thing that we have noted is that on the screen, it often lists "2 for 6 stalls available", which we have never seen. We even tested the 6 stalls ourselves one day, to see if perhaps there was a charging problem. No, all measured normally. (The security guard for the parking lot got a bit upset that we were parking sideways to check them, though)!
the few times I've passed through there I've usually seen at least one other car charging there. great oyster place right there

Reactions: Vern Padgett
Lusk, Wy has got to be it (at least in the US).

Edit, or maybe Farmington, NM. There is pretty much nothing around there.

Well I have been to both twice. But then I went cross country three years ago. I could see these still being useful for people doing western state tours and visiting various National Parks and other attractions.

How many people use Fish Camp, CA in the winter?

Yosemite Valley is open all year as is Mariposa.

• Informative
Someone mentioned little used ones because of being in redundant locations. There was one built in Tooele Utah that was built first, and then the Salt Lake City one was done less than a month later. Driving from the West Wendover Supercharger to the SLC one is only 125 miles. The Tooele one is 99 miles into that drive. I skipped it the first time I drove that way. The second time, I stopped there to check it out. It's very easy on and off the highway, but there's not much there. I wonder how little use it gets.

• Informative
Someone mentioned little used ones because of being in redundant locations. There was one built in Tooele Utah that was built first, and then the Salt Lake City one was done less than a month later. Driving from the West Wendover Supercharger to the SLC one is only 125 miles. The Tooele one is 99 miles into that drive. I skipped it the first time I drove that way. The second time, I stopped there to check it out. It's very easy on and off the highway, but there's not much there. I wonder how little use it gets.
We actually used the one in Tooele when driving back from the Gigafactory event last July. It was a good day's drive from Reno so we actually stayed at the hotel there.

It's funny that Lusk was mentioned above because we'll be using that Supercharger once or twice this weekend. :)

I don't think Brush will be one of the least used. I think most drivers heading west on I-76 will be stopping there. We were the first to charge in Brush on 12/31/16 but skipped it this past weekend since we wanted to visit the new Sidney, NE Supercharger (and were probably the first to charge at that one). We were able to get enough of a charge in Sidney to make it home.

We actually used the one in Tooele when driving back from the Gigafactory event last July. It was a good day's drive from Reno so we actually stayed at the hotel there.

It's funny that Lusk was mentioned above because we'll be using that Supercharger once or twice this weekend. :)

I don't think Brush will be one of the least used. I think most drivers heading west on I-76 will be stopping there. We were the first to charge in Brush on 12/31/16 but skipped it this past weekend since we wanted to visit the new Sidney, NE Supercharger (and were probably the first to charge at that one). We were able to get enough of a charge in Sidney to make it home.
We'll be in Lusk this weekend, driving from Sidney, NE. Sure glad they opened Sidney to cut the jump from Ogallala to Lusk a bit for our now-75D.

Wonder if Tesla would ever give info on general supercharger info.....in U.S. place with largest number of SC, most frequented, least frequented one, one with most amenities around it, one with best view, ect.......One of these days Tesla will go on 60 Minutes or something similar and give them a basic tour of behind the scenes of Tesla and the SC network/automobile/battery factories.....