Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Latest Tesla Motors-Related News (Feel Free To Post Here)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

The Chinese population is around 1.3 billion (?), and of course, they are not all in the target zone for a model S. So the author has a friend in Guangzhou, who is not going to buy the car, and neither is his 19 friends. That leaves 1.3 billion minus ... 20 or so? 1,299,999,980 people who could still be potential buyers (of course not).

Joke aside, not reeeeeally worth a lot, her friend in Guangzhou's comment. If Tesla had a market of 1% of 1% of the population of China, that would still be 130,000 cars. Did you get that? If 1 person out of a hundred in China bought a car, and out of those people, only 1 in hundred chose a Tesla model S - that would still be way over 100,000 cars.

By the time the model-formerly-known-as-model-E reaches the Chinese market, lot's will have changed. Even rich people have to breathe the same densely polluted air - and politicians also. Money and politicians (some times it's hard to see the difference), will make sure that this keeps moving in the right direction, so they can clean up the air in their own back yard.

Finally, if rumours of the BYD e6 is making up for EV credibility, I would say it's like comparing a Chinese locally made "smart"-phone to an iPhone: The Chinese knows that if you want the good stuff, you gotta fork out for the right quality (which is often not originating in China). Not just build quality, or tech specifications, but something where a significant amount of development and thinking has gone into making it a reliable and user friendly device - which is actually a pleasure to use.

I don't like to generalize but in my previous dealings in luxury goods industry in China, they tend to follow the trends of Hong Kong #1 and Japan. They are brand conscious and status is important. So if the Tesla brand becomes big in HK that will go a long way for China. Also they need advertising. If there is heavy advertising and the right luxury message is being portrayed a certain segment of the population will be running for it. Even if its the top 10% that's a huge number.

At least that's my experience and I think a car is definitely a status symbol as well.

Not everyone buys a car because of the brand name but it os a factor for many car buyers. I think for many in china that's no exception. I think it does make sense to go after the rich crowd initially, and make Tesla a successful wow like brand in HK. That will go a long way to get Tesla the brand recognition it needs.

Elon has talked about the seats. He knows people want an improvement but this would require a lot of redesigning as there is a sensor that send signals to things like the airbags. I think they need a big push to get some European designers to work on interior detail in the next mark.

Key note, "Only 1,547 electric cars were sold in Britain in the first quarter of 2014."

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/tesla-brings-handed-model-uk-203805834.html

I guess a big chunk of those 1547 are BMW i3, the eGolf and the electric Smart. Sure Model S will pick up some sales there too!

Renault Twizy is a very cool car for urban driving, especially if you have no passenger. But once again, the government in HK disapproved its registration.....I think we can see the Twizy in Macau and it only costs ard $150,000 if my memory is correct :love:

renault-twizy.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

For Chinese reading ppl here. Not Tesla nor Model S specific but talks about what resistances you face when you try to do things in a 'different' way

http://thehousenews.com/finance/誰想殺死王維基/

I was (We were) a little disappointed as 3 of us registered but was only allowed 2 rounds of test drive. Felt a bit cheated. But I guess the route was not really ideal for showing off all aspects of the Model S anyway. Supposed the Disneyland route is a much more flatter one, the Wine Cellar route is all uphill, downhill and corners. Not sure about the Festival Walk one. Maybe one needs to try out all 3 routes in order to experience all. The staff were also overloaded with work as they seemed unwilling and were pushing the test drives among themselves. But hey, all is forgiven, we understand how boring it is to go round the same route repeating information tonnes of times a day.

I do have one complaint about the test drive though, that is the mosquitoes issue. Leave the wine cellar for 5 seconds and you will be surrounded by mosquitoes. It was almost impossible to take a good look at the car and take some decent videos. My plan to make a nice detail video for my blog was ruined.

It was the first time I have ever experienced the immense torque of the Model S, at the back seat, I could feel my whole body thrust backwards, air pressed onto the face and instant ear pressure as the car speeded uphill like it was on skis!!! Everything outside the windows disappeared so quickly that the car about 50 metres ahead in 1 second was right at the tip of the Model S in the next like a rocket!!!

An experience I will never forget!!!

When it was my turn, I did it safe and slow, testing the regenerative braking, rear camera, parking sensors, multiwindow reverse parking display and suspension. Don't think I need to go to the Festival Walk test drive because I don't think I can get any useful information from the staff, except that I discovered that being the 378 order means I will be getting my car in September, regardless of 65kW, P85 or P85+.

2014-05-25 16.52.31.jpg