Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Latest Tesla Motors-Related News (Feel Free To Post Here)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A lot of generalizations in that article - for example "...plug-in hybrid vehicles, which offer substantial battery–only and local emission free range of up to 40 miles before internal combustion engines kick in to save them, are undermining the case for battery only." Only the Chevy Volt has a 40 mile All Electric Range (AER). Prius Plug-In is 11, Ford Energi is about 20 and Audi is reportedly about 30, but that's probably EU cycle and the EPA AER will probably be closer to 20 than 30. In any case, in USA where we have "compliance cars", BEV sales are exactly where they have to be. Only a few US markets like Georgia that have big incentives are doing well without mandates. I think Renault has the biggest problem with falling short of expectations. France has EV incentives but people just aren't buying. Maybe their poor performance is related to their battery rental scheme.

I think that article is short sighted, they are assuming that battery technology is going no where and range and prices will stay where they are today. Tesla may change their thinking if they can do the Gen 3 vehicle for under $40,000 with at least 200 or more range. I find that more people have no clue as to what is happening with electric vehicles and most are not interested in learning about them. Lots of misinformation out there.

Tesla motors, inc. 2014 annual shareholder meeting

http://www.teslamotors.com/2014shareholdermeeting

Now we can name our car!!! And many other things too!

1st RHD going to London this week!

Capture.PNG

The production Model X will look better than this.

The end of deal with Toyota is simply because there are not enough batteries for Tesla themselves!! Of course!

Funny lady has her point!

New seats will be available this year and can be retrofitted as an upgrade.

What do you know? The name "Model E" is because there are Model S and X (SEX), and Tesla has also trademarked Model Y! Ford will sue Tesla if they use "Model E".

The Indian is weird, begging for a job, wants to become the vice-chairman of Tesla.

God, so many weird people getting the mic.

Interesting teaching by Elon on battery density.

He's planning a "cool" upgrade to the Roadster "before the end of this year"!

Next gen Roadster will probably be 5 years away

Video cut off here, moved on to transcription:
http://seekingalpha.com/article/225...-meeting-and-public-webcast-transcript?page=3

In less than a year, Tesla "will be able to go from highway on ramp to highway exits without touching any controls!"

END

Last edited:
Did Elon mention what this "Controversial" Announcement is in the shareholder meeting?http://www.fool.com/investing/gener...rs-inc-a-controversial-announcement-comi.aspx

Didn't have time to watch it yet, but here is my guess.

Elon Musk is passionate about technology and doing the right thing, more than money and power in itself. He already made enough money to live comfortably, very comfortably, to never need to work at all, yet he invested it all into going up against what is wrong. He is smart, he can see the solution, and he has the power to change the world. He already did, but this is only the beginning.

There is more to this world than money. Like making a dent in the universe, as another great innovator said, who unfortunately had to leave us a bit prematurely.

Opening up for the TM battery technology, the part of it which controls temperature and charging of the battery, is essential for other car makers to be successful with EVs without range extending. Fast charging, combined with safe and efficient battery handling, is vital to a technology where the most critical part is energy storage. The electric drivetrain and everything else about the electric car is piece of cake and beats the pants off ICEs - but the weight, cost and efficiency of the batteries, is what is so challenging to solve.

Elon showed us it can be done, and I think he is going to reveal very soon, a way to share this technology.

He is not going to give it away for free, and he is not going to dismiss the patent entirely, nor make it public domain / open source. But he is going to make it so cheap to license it that it will be a no-brainer for other EV companies to use it.

Elon really wants EVs to succeed. He is not interested in having the entire automobile industry against him, he just wants us to stop burning fossil fuels, and start using safe and clean energy. And then, on the side, he burns just a little to propel some rockets into space, but that's another purpose - an exit plan for the human race, eventually, if we fail to save Planet Earth for human sustainability.

The real enemy here is not cars as such, but the way we fuel them. It is much more a threat to oil companies, rather than auto makers. Imagine if there was only one brand of EV to choose from, because it was the only one which was really good? Elon has shown time and time again, he is really fair an not only a respectful gentleman, but also sincerely looking at the benefit for all, not just him or the companies he is involved in.

One example of the opposite is from Ford Motor Company. They hold a patent of heating the windshield of a car with electric wires inside the glass, which is great especially where there is a cold climate. But you don't see that in other cars, including Tesla Motors products, as Ford has the patent to do this exclusively. And they are not likely to share it with others, so if you want electric windscreen in your car - you are stuck with a Ford. Batteries in an EV is a leap more essential than a heated windshield, but it's the same principle.

After cars, buses, trucks and trains, I think the next one up is powering of buildings. Heating, cooling, hot water, fridge/freezer, cooking - all that. Along with the transportation sector, domestic energy use is one of the largest users of energy consumption. And finally, industrial production, which also has a huge potential to cut fossil fuel burning. Not an efficiency adjustment, but a real, significant shift of technology, into avoiding burning stuff.

OK, this post became a little longer than I intended, almost like a blog entry. A little bit more than two cents worth :rolleyes:

If this is so, I am both happy and sad. Happy because there is finally someone who is truly fighting for a greener world and our future generations, taking solar, battery and electric cars to a new height. Sad because if he is really going to give away the technology for free at this stage, Tesla will no longer be able to match BMW and other wealthier companies and will eventually be eaten up.

He should at least wait till the gigafactories are ready before doing so, then at least Tesla will be able to earn some cash through selling the batteries.

If this is so, I am both happy and sad. Happy because there is finally someone who is truly fighting for a greener world and our future generations, taking solar, battery and electric cars to a new height. Sad because if he is really going to give away the technology for free at this stage, Tesla will no longer be able to match BMW and other wealthier companies and will eventually be eaten up.

He should at least wait till the gigafactories are ready before doing so, then at least Tesla will be able to earn some cash through selling the batteries.

I don't think he is going to give it away for free, nor surrender control of it. As I wrote ...

He is not going to give it away for free, and he is not going to dismiss the patent entirely, nor make it public domain / open source. But he is going to make it so cheap to license it that it will be a no-brainer for other EV companies to use it.

For any company to use this, he would have to guarantee he doesn't suddenly increase the price of the license, and that should be a part of the plan. Tesla Motors will make some money by this, yet it won't be something holding back other manufacturers from using the patents. It will be a no-brainer, unless someone comes up with something even better (like a very dense battery that charges quickly and doesn't become hot at all). The license fee won't be set so high it will deter other companies from using it, like some other technologies do. "Sure, you can use our patent, but it will cost you a zillion billion dillion dollars", in other words, same as saying no.

No need to be sad, OK? I am sure he knows what he is doing, otherwise he would never had made it this far.

There is not much point of opening up battery tech patents. They are not the problem.
Toyota wanted so much batteries from them, they just couldn't supply.
Why every other car maker is only producing a handful of EVs? And even intentionaly designing cars that would only have limited appeal? They just cannot buy more batteries for more electric cars.

They don't have access to GWh of batteries. It's that simple.