Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Latest double-din navigating car stereos for Roadster 2.5 Sport?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the conditions are either substantial changes in sound quality between the HD and analog FM, or time-shifting, it is not the radio. It is the radio station's implementation of the HD radio signal. Not only do many radio stations broadcasting in HD give very little attention to the technical characteristics of what they are broadcasting over HD, but also many radio receivers deal with the HD signal in different ways. If he HD part of the signal is not set up according to the HD specifications, it can cause significant issues in receivers. Unfortunatley, most radio listeners will not complain to a radio station when there is an issue, believing instead that the problem is in their radio. Also, there is simply not a sufficient base of HD radios in most markets for significant numbers of listeners to be affected by a poor HD implementation. About two years ago I had a similar annoying issue with one of the top radio stations in Washington. After the radio station went back and forth with the iBiquity (HD) engineers several times, they finally came up with a wrong implementation of the HD signal at the radio station. So call the radio station, ask for the chief engineer or operations manager, and complain.

Agreed -- though what's annoying is there seems to be no way to force this radio to analog mode to alleviate this condition. I've personally had it happen (it's quite irritating) -- but it's generally only one radio station (in my area).

If you feel like pulling off the lower dash, you can also get at the mic if you want to move it somewhere else. Mine is held in place by a plastic zip tie. (2.5)

"Art of Noise" In Pozuelo, Madrid relocated the mic for me last Thursday. They know the Alpine unit well and are not unhappy with it (the owner has one fitted to his M3 for instance).

They had to remove the DDIN unit in order to re-route the mic and they ran it up the driver-side pilar (hidden with the FM antena) and I now have the mic right in front of the sun visor.

The quality is VASTLY superior. People can hear me fine at highway speeds and I don't even have to shout!

The guys pointed out that the Alpine mic has noise cancelling vents in the side that must not be blocked or it will sound like you are in a tunnel. The way it has been mounted as standard in the Roadster seems to block these.

So, I fully encourage you all to do the same... move the mic up and let it breath! It worked for me and cost 1 hour of labor.

I don't mind the road noise that much. Maybe it's because I can't hear it over the wind noise though. Has anyone found something that makes it not sound like you are driving with the windows open (even though they are closed)?

I don't mind the road noise that much. Maybe it's because I can't hear it over the wind noise though. Has anyone found something that makes it not sound like you are driving with the windows open (even though they are closed)?

Starting to get off topic, but I noticed noise and air from the front of the soft top. A slight adjustment to tighten it up helped more than I expected. Adjusting bolts are in the middle under the Velcro. Probably something that should be on the yearly service list as the metal cables will stretch over time.

Starting to get off topic, but I noticed noise and air from the front of the soft top. A slight adjustment to tighten it up helped more than I expected. Adjusting bolts are in the middle under the Velcro. Probably something that should be on the yearly service list as the metal cables will stretch over time.

I believe it is. Both times I took my car in for annual service (12K, 24K) they adjusted the top to fit more snuggly.

I only discovered that when the velcro popped out one day. By that point my soft top was pretty darn loose. Tesla has never looked at it during servicing, although to be fair I think the hard top was on.

That adjustment really ought to be in the manual!

"Art of Noise" In Pozuelo, Madrid relocated the mic for me last Thursday. ..... I now have the mic right in front of the sun visor....
The quality is VASTLY superior. People can hear me fine at highway speeds and I don't even have to shout!

Just to add to this for anyone unhappy with the hands-free mic in the roadster and considering moving it - its been sub-zero here for a while so no open top driving until yesterday, however...

I tested making a phone call yesterday while driving at some speed with the roof off and they could hear me fine with no wind noise trouble.

So I thoroughly recommend moving the mic to the sun visor area guys... roof on or off the sound is awesome.

Oh, and wearing earplugs with the roof off is not only pleasant but also highly recommended if you want to keep your hearing!

I'm having Tesla look at the mic positioning while my Roadster is in for service. I referred them to mgemmell's post, so we'll see what they come up with.
Here's a snap of the mic placement (and a free view of my garage through the windscreen - sorry, but it's late).

photo.JPG

They just took the mic out of its original place traces the cable back to the Alpine, then out again to the A-frame and up under the glued rubber trim.

Mark

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 248
This looks like a great place for the mic.... Mine is as good as I could have hoped for, but this looks every bit as good.

The Technician had done one install for *Warrenbonz* the same as yours and Warren told me his worked great. When it came to my car the Tech (Byron in Dania Beach) showed some thought as he worried about wind-noise or accidental damage putting soft/hard-top on and off. He tried this position on the instrument cluster and tested it on the road. Now when I talk to someone they cannot believe that I am driving in the car.