Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LAPD getting P85D's

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Criminals should be happy... all three rear seat positions are equally comfortable - no need to fight to avoid that dreaded middle seat with the drive shaft hump... Dr. Evil's Mini Me could go in the rear facing seat...

I've never sat in the back of a cop car, but I'd think with the divider+NG seats there wouldn't be a ton of room for anyone. I wonder if these would even be used for holding anyone or if they would call for backup.

I am worried about response times. No, not the 'ludicrous' acceleration time, not even the top end, or the great handling.

No.... I am concerned if they put the target street address into the Nav system. It will possibly route the car through Kingman, AZ to the Supercharger (before their final destination, which might have been no more than a couple miles from their initial location.:wink:

Scotty

(Yeah, the memory is still frsh from a week ago. I was on the 115/35 outside of Peterborough, Ontario, and requested the Toronto Supercharger (about 70 miles). The Nav system reported 'Charging is required to reach your destination". As I scratched my head and looked at the detailed route, I saw that it was routing me within 2 miles of the Toronto SC, but was bypassing it as it directed me across the border and to the Buffalo, NY, Supercharge. After a charge, it then told me to head back directly to the final destination of the Toronto SC.)

There is NO WAY that any police department is going to buy any car that costs even a fraction more than what a Crown Vic costs today.

[FONT=Source Sans Pro, sans-serif]$36,600 for the Chevy Caprice [/FONT][FONT=Source Sans Pro, sans-serif]police[/FONT][FONT=Source Sans Pro, sans-serif] car[/FONT]
[FONT=Source Sans Pro, sans-serif]$33,500 for the new Ford Interceptor
$24,000 for the old Crown Victoria
[/FONT]

The "Police Crown Vic"

The back was big enough for the bulkiest perps. It was deceptively fast, braked well and handled better than you’d think.

Sacramento County Sheriff Scott Jones, vice president of the California Peace Officers Association, said the vehicle had one more good trait: “(It) could withstand impacts.”

The spacious interior could hold the gear of modern policing – computers, lights and siren controls, shotgun racks. The seats didn’t squeeze officers wearing protective vests and utility belts loaded with weapon, Taser, digital recorder, a baton holster and handcuffs.
ment.

The Interceptor has better handling, safety features and fuel economy than the Crown Victoria without sacrificing interior room, according to police official

There is NO WAY that any police department is going to buy any car that costs even a fraction more than what a Crown Vic costs today.

$36,600 for the Chevy Caprice police car
$33,500 for the new Ford Interceptor
$24,000 for the old Crown Victoria

YES WAY.

Fleet operators look at Total Cost of Ownership including fueling and maintenance not just the striking price on the car itself.

As Tesla increases sales so does economies of scale.

A Model S bumper cover that cost $1300 in 2012 now cost $300.

We shall see where Tesla is in 2017-18 when the LAPD is done with their evaluation.

Then there is the fact LA City and LAPD has been directed by the Mayor and City Council to reduce their carbon footprint/increase their energy efficiency.

Under those parameters Model S may win by default.

BTW To be clear there is no new Crown Vic. Ford discontinued their large RWD body on frame cars. A few small police departments buy refurbished Crown Vics but that is a dying industry. Model S has to compete with FWD unibody sedans and crossovers from GM/Ford plus the Dodge Charger.

Last edited:
YES WAY.

Fleet operators look at Total Cost of Ownership including fueling and maintenance not just the striking price on the car itself.

Obviously, the city of LA is a gigantic exception, since the mayor said that's what they'll do (and presumably, he has the authority to pay whatever price is required).

But, any other town? Just watch the squeal from the opposition when any mayor / county commissioner says that their police / sheriff will spend TWICE or THREE times as much for an Obamamobile. The total cost of ownership won't mean a darn thing. That's not how politics works, and Police / Sheriff is big time politics. The middle of the US won't sign off on this for 20 years, even if it was half the cost (it's not).

Plus, the Model S is no Crown Vic replacement. I doubt it will handle real abuse that police will dish out, like driving over curbs without bottoming out / breaking wheels / breaking suspension parts. All the old police cars had steel wheels, lots of tire sidewall (no way on 21" tires), etc. There will be a LOT of modifications to any police car as "dainty" as a Model S.

The pluses that I foresee:

1) Yes, total cost of ownership, provided the cars survive hard core police duty. After 100,000 miles, the car will be ready for replacement (the average for a police car). In that time, at 20mpg, with $3/gal gasoline is only $15,000 in gasoline for the traditional police car. Let's throw another $5000 for any future price increases or lower mpg, so $20,000 in gasoline. I'll pick the most expensive police car, at $36,600, which makes $56,600 in total costs. We will just assume that repairs, maintenance and outfitting is the same cost for both.

Electricity isn't free, so figure 2.5 miles per kWh "from the wall" @ 12 cents per kWh = $4800 in electricity. I can tell you that electricity in California is WELL ABOVE the national average of 12 cents. So, the Tesla can cost about $72,000 to be close to equivalent. Of course, this assumes that the value at the end of the period is similar, and its entirely likely that the Tesla will be worth far more than a Crown Vic with 100,000 police miles.

2) Easy green wash campaign with EV cop cars. Expect the "suits" and executives of police work to be driving these cars, anyway. Light duty stuff, not pounding curbs and grabbing perps.

3) Warm fuzzies in California with a car built in California. I can foresee some kind of incentive plan from Sacramento that pays cash for government owned cars built in California.

I suspect that they will want "special" police / city owned Superchargers throughout the region, and an HPWC at 80 amps in every overnight parking stall and service bay.

Last edited:
Obviously, the city of LA is a gigantic exception, since the mayor said that's what they'll do (and presumably, he has the authority to pay whatever price is required).

But, any other town? Just watch the squeal from the opposition when any mayor / county commissioner says that their police / sheriff will spend TWICE or THREE times as much for an Obamamobile. The total cost of ownership won't mean a darn thing. That's not how politics works, and Police / Sheriff is big time politics. The middle of the US won't sign off on this for 20 years, even if it was half the cost (it's not).

Plus, the Model S is no Crown Vic replacement. I doubt it will handle real abuse that police will dish out, like driving over curbs without bottoming out / breaking wheels / breaking suspension parts. All the old police cars had steel wheels, lots of tire sidewall (no way on 21" tires), etc. There will be a LOT of modifications to any police car as "dainty" as a Model S.

1) Yes, total cost of ownership, provided the cars survive hard core police duty. After 100,000 miles, the car will be ready for replacement (the average for a police car). In that time, at 20mpg, with $3/gal gasoline is only $15,000 in gasoline for the traditional police car. Let's throw another $5000 for any future price increases or lower mpg, so $20,000 in gasoline. I'll pick the most expensive police car, at $36,600, which makes $56,600 in total costs. We will just assume that repairs, maintenance and outfitting is the same cost for both.

Electricity isn't free, so figure 2.5 miles per kWh "from the wall" @ 12 cents per kWh = $4800 in electricity. I can tell you that electricity in California is WELL ABOVE the national average of 12 cents. So, the Tesla can cost about $72,000 to be close to equivalent. Of course, this assumes that the value at the end of the period is similar, and its entirely likely that the Tesla will be worth far more than a Crown Vic with 100,000 police miles.

2) Easy green wash campaign with EV cop cars. Expect the "suits" and executives of police work to be driving these cars, anyway. Light duty stuff, not pounding curbs and grabbing perps.

3) Warm fuzzies in California with a car built in California. I can foresee some kind of incentive plan from Sacramento that pays cash for government owned cars built in California.

I suspect that they will want "special" police / city owned Superchargers throughout the region, and an HPWC at 80 amps in every overnight parking stall and service bay.
I wonder how the Amsterdam Tesla Taxis are holding up as fleet vehicles

And you don't think this is just a pilot test and they'll use the Model 3 for full ramp up?

Cut the cost of the car in half and see how that changes the math.

And you don't think this is just a pilot test and they'll use the Model 3 for full ramp up?

Cut the cost of the car in half and see how that changes the math.

The Model 3 will not be available for the acquisition in 2017. So, Model S or X is what's available.

The city will pay more for the green wash. The cars won't handle the abuse like a Crown Vic, so they will be mostly coddled in less rigorous roles. I'd like to know what warranty Tesla will offer them? I'll bet 100,000 miles, full pop coverage. Tesla can't risk having the city bitch about high maintenance / repair costs.

The police union is a variable. Sure, they'll like racing around in it. But, I think you'll be surprised what they might complain about. Not enough room for their gun, not enough headroom, etc. I doubt seriously that the overall opinion of the car will be low, but its a variable.

In time, Tesla will develop a real cop car, but Model S isn't it. They need stone simple and solid tires, wheels, simple and dependable door handles, robust suspension bits, boring seats, hard mounts for cop gear, etc. Can you imagine the police chasing a car and the whole LAPD has to slow down due to the 160kW overheat power restriction? That's with news helicopters overhead and OJ speeding off in a 20 year old Ford.

Again, Tesla has a ways to go to be a cop car.

Last edited:
But, any other town?

San Francisco and San Jose are more likely to make fleet purchases than Los Angeles.

Other possibilities?

Seattle
Portland
Eugene
Berkeley
San Diego
Boulder
Austin
Madison
Honolulu
Santa Fe
Orlando

That is just off the top of my head.

And basically any City in CA with a population over 300k.

Internationally? Well, lets just start with Oslo,Trondheim and Bergen.

And Tesla does not nor will they have massive overcapacity to accommodate large numbers of police fleet sales up to 100k units per year like Ford did back in the day.

BMW makes several fleet sales of motorcycles to American police departments at over twice the price per unit than Harley Davidson based on total cost of ownership.

CA has TOU rates and EV rates. I am sure large and medium sized Police Departments can negotiate far better deals than $.12/kWh. Particularly with hardwired BEV specific chargers.

The average LAPD police car will be driven 300k miles before being auctioned off. That is 15k gallons of gasoline. A low projection over the next 5 years is $3.50 per gallon. That is $52,500 on fuel alone.

Above mentioned cities will be glad to drive Obamamobiles that save them $40k-$45k in fuel.

Last edited:
20 mpg? These vehicles sit idling and cruise at low speeds more than anything. If LAPD fleet vehicles average over 10-12 mpg, I'd be shocked...