Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

kWh prices world-wide

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Flash.jpg

Kaptain Kilowatt says: Your definitions do not define or limit me!!

Funny that I just saw your post after asking a similar question I'm about to ask here, again... LOL

Do all those other charges vary depending on your actual kWh consumption, or are they completely fixed whether you used 1 kWh that month or 10,000 kWh? I'm wondering whether a grid tie system in Alberta would simply offset at the fixed 7 cents or if more savings would be seen in the service charges too.
In Alberta some of the extra charges vary based on usage, some are fixed. I don't seem to have found as good a retailer as ggenge (I'd love to know who he's with!) but the variable portion of my bill is $0.14/kwh plus a fixed portion (electricity is quoted as $0.08/kwh, but the other variable fees push it up to the $0.14)

However, because they don't net-meter, instead they meter bidrectionally, solar only recoups the $0.08 and not the variable portion of the rest of the bill unless you manage to use what you produce. Unfortunately for a Tesla owner who works outside of the house, most usage is overnight, and most production is during the day, so you'd need battery storage to not be shafted on the bill.

In Alberta some of the extra charges vary based on usage, some are fixed. I don't seem to have found as good a retailer as ggenge (I'd love to know who he's with!) but the variable portion of my bill is $0.14/kwh plus a fixed portion (electricity is quoted as $0.08/kwh, but the other variable fees push it up to the $0.14)

However, because they don't net-meter, instead they meter bidrectionally, solar only recoups the $0.08 and not the variable portion of the rest of the bill unless you manage to use what you produce. Unfortunately for a Tesla owner who works outside of the house, most usage is overnight, and most production is during the day, so you'd need battery storage to not be shafted on the bill.
Yeah, that's pretty much the conclusion I was coming to. Not great, especially considering how much the sun shines over most of the province, even in the winter. It would be nice to see some minor incentive (like true net metering) to get the ball rolling.

The difference of only 6 cents make a battery system a little less attractive than in areas where time of use charges vary significantly!

Alberta used to have true net metering... you can thank Enmax (and probably some of the other large retailers) for forcing the government to kill that program.

I am however optimistic that we'll see some changes to the solar landscape in Alberta in the near future due to our recent change in government, that said though, this is one of the biggest issues with solar, government terms are about 4 years, payback times are about 20 years, and the payback is highly dependant on government policies.

Alabama (Alabama Power, a Southern Company) - if you sign up for the EV discount:

The cost per kWh = 12.4 cents
There is a 1.7 cent per kWh discount for electricity use between 9 PM and 5 AM ("off peak")

It is handled like a refund. The bill shows your total monthly usage times the per-kWH rate, and a second line showing a negative amount of the discount, and you pay the difference. My typical "discount" runs $7 to $12 per month - that's how much it saves me.

According to my understanding, Alabama electricity is spread across natural gas, coal, hydroelectric, nuclear (roughly equally) with a percent or two for renewables.