Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

kWh prices world-wide

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Private residents in Germany can chose from utilities with standard grid mix up to 100% renewable energy suppliers.
flat rates 0.19 - 0.22€ / kWh
TOU start at 0.17€ / kWh
renewable only tariffs range 0.22 - 0.25 €/kWh
Residential prices include 6 cent grid fee, 2 cent municipal fee, 2 cent electricity taxes, 3.5 cent to offset feed-in subsidies for renewable energy. All per kWh.
If a utility buys/produces electric energy at 0 ct/kWh it still cannot sell it below 13.5 cent!
I haven't found an EV tariff yet. TOU options are fairly unattractive, too - very little differences to flat rate.

Yes, we were told when the Nuclear power plant (Diablo Canyon) was being built that it would provide 'cheap' power to everyone in the central california coast for many years. Now we have the most expensive electricity, and have to pay extra to decomission the nuclear power!

In Southern California (SCE) the super off peak rate (winter or summer) is approx $0.10/kWh. In Taos New Mexico the rate is $0.10/kWh anytime. The rate on Hawaii (Big Island for those that know which island is Hawaii) the rate is about $0.35/kWh.

As for those with solar panels that think you have "paid for" the panels in electric savings in less than 10 years - you must be using the simplistic methodology used by the solar saleman. I factor in an "opportunity cost" and the after-tax effect to the calculation and my expected payback is in excess of 20 years. Then again the system I installed completely eliminates my electric charge on an annual basis for the last 8.5 years.

This is a special promotion currently. Later people will pay a monthly meter charge. This is the charge, but there are possible surcharges that can be added. Taxes would only add 10%. The surcharges would be the same for any electric use, nothing specific to me.

PG & E recently sent out notices that our Peak Rate in San Luis Obispo is increasing to $.41 per Kwh. Is there anyone in the world with a higher rate??
That is HIGH!

Benji is close btw: kWh prices world-wide

You could even make money I guess. Charge the Model S overnight and deliver back to the grid when the price is at 0.41 :) (I know, the Model S can't deliver back, but it's purely hypothetical!)

The article states that this may all be better in a couple of decades ...
Renewable Electricity Supply to be Cheaper by 2030

With the rate of introduction of renewables continuous till 2030, and the goals being met, the average price of electricity generated from a mix of renewable energy sources will be at an average of 7.6 cents per kWh by 2030.
a little bit of crystal ball gazing/hand waving but still worth noting …

PG & E recently sent out notices that our Peak Rate in San Luis Obispo is increasing to $.41 per Kwh. Is there anyone in the world with a higher rate??
That's really high. SDG&E's peak residential rate is under $0.30 / kWh.

At $0.41 / kWh, any size solar system will really pay off quickly thanks to net-metering. Size it big enough to get you out of all the expensive electricity and you should be able to break even on the cost of the system well within 5 years at $0.41/kWh.

Islands have higher prices -- Catalina, Hawaii, Bermuda. But that's understandable.

There are two particularly mind-boggling things about your rate:
1. Natural gas prices just slipped below $2/MMBtu and seem set to remain low throughout the year; put $2 gas into a reasonably efficient gas-fired generator and you get power (at the generator bus-bar) for about $18/MWh ($0.018/kWh). PG&E is charging you $410/MWh.
2. Spot prices in the CAISO market reflect these low fuel prices. Peak price in the PG&E territory yesterday was only $28.56/MWh -- admittedly, a mild spring day.

The rate is set to shift people's usage to off-peak times, of course, and isn't really intended to reflect the incremental cost of service.

Islands have higher prices -- Catalina, Hawaii, Bermuda. But that's understandable.

There are two particularly mind-boggling things about your rate:
1. Natural gas prices just slipped below $2/MMBtu and seem set to remain low throughout the year; put $2 gas into a reasonably efficient gas-fired generator and you get power (at the generator bus-bar) for about $18/MWh ($0.018/kWh). PG&E is charging you $410/MWh.
2. Spot prices in the CAISO market reflect these low fuel prices. Peak price in the PG&E territory yesterday was only $28.56/MWh -- admittedly, a mild spring day.

The rate is set to shift people's usage to off-peak times, of course, and isn't really intended to reflect the incremental cost of service.

I believe, but I have no proof, that this rate is in retribution for the local community making it very difficult for Diablo Canyon to go through it's re-certification process to continue operating. Rates 100 miles in any direction are 1/2 of what we are paying here! Is there such a thing as a peak rate map for the U.S.?

Is there a website that shows CAISO market prices? I just wonder how PG&E managed to charge $0.10+ / kWh more for top-tier electricity compared to the other major utilities in the state.

The rate is a bulk tiered rate, not a TOU rate - the rate goes higher the more electricity you consume per month.

I believe, but I have no proof, that this rate is in retribution for the local community making it very difficult for Diablo Canyon to go through it's re-certification process to continue operating. Rates 100 miles in any direction are 1/2 of what we are paying here! Is there such a thing as a peak rate map for the U.S.?
PG&E covers a lot more area than 100 mile radius, but most of that is to the north of you, I believe. Much further south and you get into SCE territory.

Last edited:
Here in upstate NY's "deregulated" (which actually means even more heavily regulated, but in a different way) utility market....

We have no time-of-use rates unless you're a big commercial or industrial user.

Our bills look even hairier than the California ones.

All in US dollars:
NYSEG:
.0318 / kWh "delivery" -- this is the big one which will only go up. It is regulated by the state, in filed tariffs.
-.004178 "transition charge" (yes, it's negative -- the bonus for switching to non-NYSEG seller of power)
-.002045 "revenue decoupling mechanism" (so that NYSEG doesn't profit from increased usage)
.002446 "NY state assessment" (direct taxes to the state)
.00375 "SBC/RPS charge" (for state-funded research programs into renewable energy, subsidies for poor people to get renewable energy)
----
.031843 / kWh
+ sales tax etc. at 2.0408%
-----
.0324928519 / kWh
As you can see this is really roughly the same as the original "delivery charge".

Then there's the actual cost of electricity generation. I get mine from the Energy Cooperative of America, and I pay 1 cents per kWh over their standard rate so that they'll buy 100% renewable for me. For some reason they charge a flat surcharge, regardless of whether the renewable energy is cheaper or a lot more expensive; whatever! I figure the coop management knows what it's doing! This year they're supplying 44% hydro, 29% landfill methane, 27% wind. (How Renewable Electricity Works - Energy Cooperative of America -- the sources of the renewable electricity change every year according to co-op managment decisions.)

Last month their rate was:
.052841 / kWh
plus sales tax at 4%
----

This price varies throughout the year, of course.

For a total delivery + supply + taxes charge of:
.0874474919 / kwH

I think our electricity is cheap around here. Of course, it turns out I saved a *lot* by switching to the Energy Co-op; the NYSEG supply prices are significantly higher. But even if you're getting NYSEG-supplied electricity, it's still less than 10 cents per kWh. It was more expensive a couple of years ago, but it was still in the 11 cent range.

When you can get "on the grid" 100% renewable for 8.74 cents per kWh all-inclusive, in an area with poor sun, it makes solar panels not terribly attractive economically -- not like you people paying 33 cents per kWh, who get very quick payback.

Alberta Canada Power Prices.

What do you pay for a kWh? In Calgary, Alberta, Canada I pay $0.0699/kWh on a fixed rate that does not vary.
They also lump in $7 Administration, $23.75 Distribution Charge, $23.90 Transmission Charge, Balancing pool allocation -$6.93 ??, Rate Riders $13.62, Local Access fee $14.04 for a Grand Total of $161.22. I used 1228 kWh that month, so my combined cost is $0.131/kWh. As a courtesy to the power company, I set the car to charge at 1AM when the grid is low usage, to no benefit of my own, I still feel better about it as if I charged when I got home, it would be at a peak time of use for the grid. I also charge at only 60 amps versus 80 so I don't over tax the dual chargers, the batteries, or circuits in my house, car is always waiting for me with 350KM range every morning anyway, so why push the systems. I plan to drive my Tesla forever.

On another note, on my recent trip to Vancouver BC and Back, 2300KM, I averaged 209wH/km, and that was driving 10KM over speed limit, passing, and for some stretches traveling at 130km/h through the mountains and over 5000 ft passes, and on the way back it rained the whole way, and I had heated seats and heater on. I think that is pretty darn good for a 691 HP Car. That works out to $2.74 Cents per KM if I had to Pay for electrons, but I supercharged the whole way, price INCLUDED in the car - not exactly free in my mind. I also noted my charge times along the way where there were 5 superchargers, I stopped for a total of 1 hour and 35 minutes to make the 1000KM trip, and I used mostly the bottom 80% of the battery, always leaving when the charge rate dropped to 400KM/hour and I had at least 100KM to spare for the next leg. To be honest, I wanted to stop a lot longer than the car needed to.