Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Kia Soul EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Soul EV is doing quite well here in Norway. They're planning on making 5000 Soul EV by the end of next year, and 2550 of these have been allocated to the Norwegian market (according to the importer), 550 of them by the end of 2014. I believe they are sold out for 2014.

Ford doesn't have rapid charging - the Soul EV has CHAdeMO. The Soul also has a usable trunk, whereas the trunk of the Ford contains the battery pack. Add on top of that a better range, lower price (at least here) and 7 year warranty vs 5 year, and it's no contest. In a good month Ford sells about 30 Focus Electric here; if Kia actually sells 2000/year, that means Kia will outsell Ford at least five to one.

Edit: I would also just like to say that Norway is a bit more of a level playing field than the US. There are no CARB requirements or any kind of legislation requiring the sale of EVs. Just equal insentives for all pure electrics. The companies only sell here because they see a market, a potential profit. In the US the companies have no qualms about selling at a loss, because all they want is the credits. Basically, if you don't succeed in Norway, your car sucks. (That's also why you don't see most of the compliance cars here.)

Last edited:
Pricing and range announced:

2015 Kia Soul EV: Estimated 93 Miles Of Range, Priced Under $35,000 Or $249 A Month

93 mile range and $249/month lease.

RT

Oops, saw someone posted this already.

My thoughts are that I will take a test drive as soon as one is available. I may sell my 2000 Insight and replace it with a Soul until the Model 3 comes out. Guess it depends on whether the Model 3 is actually on sale at the end of 2017.

Nice, but:

Speaking at a special unveiling ceremony to celebrate the launch of this new technology in Europe, Michael Cole, Chief Operating Officer, Kia Motors Europe, commented: “These are the first chargers in the region to offer so much power, and will help make the Soul EV a viable option for consumers when it goes on sale.

He's never heard of a supercharger?

I just heard Kia plans on rolling out 100 kW CHAdeMO stations at it's dealers: Kia powers ahead with fastest EV chargers in Europe

That link doesn't work for me. This is the URL that comes up in a Google search but it appears to be the same as what you posted:
Kia powers ahead with fastest EV chargers in Europe

That link also errors inTapatalk.

While I applaud Kia's EV efforts their press release contains a number of factual inaccuracies. They seem to have never heard of Tesla Superchargers or the Model S warrNty.

Does anyone have any information yet on how long the Kia can take that 100kw charge? The superchargers slow down as the batteries reach their max capacity. Since the soul has a much smaller battery, I assume it will have to slow down much sooner. Perhaps the 100kw is not as useful as it sounds for the Kia (but great for the Teslas!)

Intense debate in other threads about battery degradation for the Roadster & Model S & warranty wording, so here is Kia's

• Lithium-Ion Polymer Battery Capacity Coverage
    The Lithium-Ion Polymer Battery (“EV Battery”)Capacity warranty coverage period is 10 years or 100,000 miles from the Date of First Service, whichever comes first, for capacity loss below 70% of the original battery capacity. This warranty covers repairs needed to return battery capacity to 70% of original battery capacity. If possible, the EV battery components will be repaired or replaced, and the original EV Battery will be returned to the vehicle. If necessary, the EV Battery will be replaced with either a new or remanufactured Lithium-Ion Polymer Battery. Any repair or replacement made under this Lithium-Ion Polymer Battery Capacity Coverage may not return your Lithium-Ion Battery to an “as new” condition with the original 100% battery capacity. However, it will provide the vehicle with an EV Battery capacity of at least 70% of the original battery capacity. This Lithium-Ion Battery Capacity Coverage is subject to the exclusions listed under the section “What is Not Covered.”

Electric Vehicle Warranty FAQ | Kia Soul EV | Kia Cars

Last edited:
KIA/hundai are the once to look out for. I think they might be the one to compete in the 200 mile plus EV market in a couple years

I don't know. Only 5,000 Soul EVs are being built this year and Hyundai is more interested in Hydrogen. Also, their overpaying $5B recently for a new headquarters (just for the land, construction not included) may dip into their R&D budget.

I think Kia is looking serious about their EV plans.

The Soul is attractively priced, and even at that price they seem to be making money on them (or they wouldn't be selling them here in Norway). I think we will see in 2015 just how serous they are. If they simply maintain a 5000 cars/year rate, they can't be very serious, but if they continually ramp up volume, I think they could rival Nissan in a couple of years.

KIA/hundai are the once to look out for. I think they might be the one to compete in the 200 mile plus EV market in a couple years
The one to look out for are those who are prepping for consuming huge amounts of batteries.

5000 KIAs with 100 miles of range is only 2000 KIAs with 200mile range.
Where will they get 10 times as much batteries to sell 20k EV with 200 mile range?
LG? LG cannot supply that much cells.

The main reason large car makers are not making long range EVs is they cannot get enough batteries. Everything else is just cosmetics.

I'm curious to drive one soon, but I'm probably going to get the VW e golf. The Kia has some nice tech, and the space is nice too, but the VW Has more options to its driving modes and brake regen that the driver can control. Plus there is no doubt that it has the best interior of all these segment EVs. My wife likes the Kia because of the paint jobs, but I'll be the one driving it. and I prefer the lower more sporty driving feel of the golf. Plus a few tweaks to the e golf and it's looking pretty fun too!
Volkswagen-E-Golf.jpg

First drive: 2015 Kia Soul EV | Digital Trends

Although the 2015 Kia Soul EV boasts an EPA-rated driving range of 93 miles on a single charge, our fully-charged test vehicle displayed a range of 101 miles at the start of our drive. But after traveling only a few hundred yards, indicated range dropped to 96 miles.

Furthermore, I clocked 19.2 miles along the first leg of the loop but, according to the display, the journey cost me 26 miles of range. By the end of our drive, the Soul EV showed 34 miles of remaining range. We drove a total of 47 miles while reducing the EV’s range by 65 miles. To be fair, the drive included a few brisk acceleration events to test the Soul EV’s responsiveness. But the vast majority of the drive consisted of typical city driving.
In terms of MPGe, or the electric equivalent to gasoline miles per gallon, the Soul EV is rated at 120 MPGe city, 92 MPGe highway, and 105 MPGe combined, but kudos to those who can make practical sense of those figures.

Of course, few EV buyers go electric for exciting driving dynamics. Gasoline-powered models remain the vehicles of choice for thrilling experiences behind the wheel while EVs focus on efficiency and deliver a calmer, more laid-back demeanor.

What nonsense? This is the kind of nonsense these experts throw around and it sticks with the general public.

Leaf is far zippier than the Versa, and so is Volt compared to Cruze, and Rav4 EV. I don't even have to mention Model S