Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Kia Soul EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good thing is Kia didn't fall for the 'we should mimic ICE features to make it seems like yet another car on the road' and put the charge slot at some highly inconvenient place in the rear side... like what Tesla did.

Saw the ad during the Packers game yesterday. The website says it is available in California now, but a dealer chat says Oct/Nov timeframe. I haven't seen pricing, but with a 200km range, and presuming I fit in it (6'4"), this could be an EV lease that gets me to the Model 3 :smile:

RT

Saw the ad during the Packers game yesterday. The website says it is available in California now, but a dealer chat says Oct/Nov timeframe. I haven't seen pricing, but with a 200km range, and presuming I fit in it (6'4"), this could be an EV lease that gets me to the Model 3 :smile:

RT

Yeah, living in Texas, I'm starting to get desperate with any new EV that comes out. LEAF range won't work and the Model S is too expensive. I saw this and thought, "ok", but then realized they are state limited and it seems like Kia is just another automaker wanting the ZEV credits. bah!

I just learned about this car today, we need something like this to hold us over until the Model 3 comes out, I can't believe I am excited over a Kia...its actually mostly for my wife :biggrin:...soccer practice, Costco, Target.

Any guess on final price after incentives & tax rebates+credits in California?

The "200km range" is on a city test. I expect the EPA rating to be high 80's, maybe low 90's at best.

They will only sell it in ZEV states (though they are willing to reconsider in the future).

They have made clear their pricing will not spark a price war. I doubt it will be cheaper than a LEAF, at least not by a meaningful amount.

I just learned about this car today, we need something like this to hold us over until the Model 3 comes out, I can't believe I am excited over a Kia...its actually mostly for my wife :biggrin:...soccer practice, Costco, Target.

Any guess on final price after incentives & tax rebates+credits in California?
Since you're in CA, you can get a RAV4 EV 36 month unlimited mileage lease for less than $475/mo with none of your own cash and still get the $2,500 state rebate. That will hold you over nicely until Model 3. It's also a much more capable car with the exception of fast charge capability. However, 120 mile range vs. 90 miles frequently makes a big difference.

Since you're in CA, you can get a RAV4 EV 36 month unlimited mileage lease for less than $475/mo with none of your own cash and still get the $2,500 state rebate. That will hold you over nicely until Model 3. It's also a much more capable car with the exception of fast charge capability. However, 120 mile range vs. 90 miles frequently makes a big difference.

We intend to offer a quick charge capability called "JdeMO" to the Rav4 EV and Mercedes B-Class ED in 2015.

The Rav4 EV with unlimited lease offer will likely be done (forever) by September 30, 2014. The last cars have been assembled at the Woodstock, Ontario, Canada plant, and about 350 remain either on dealer lots in California or in transit from Canada.

Range at 65mph (100km ground speed) on dry, hard surface level road with no wind or cabin climate control with new condition battery at 70F, battery capacity is "useable" amount, not advertised amount. Ranges are at maximum available charge and EPA rating is the maximum published.

Nissan
LEAF - 4 miles per kWh (250 wattHours per mile) * 21.3kWh = 85.2 miles / EPA 84

GM / Chevrolet
Spark EV - 5 miles per kWh (200 wattHours per mile) * 19kWh = 95 miles / EPA 82

Mercedes
B-Class ED - 3.8*** miles per kWh (263 wattHours per mile) * 31.5kWh = 120 miles / EPA 104

Toyota
Rav4 EV - 3.4 miles per kWh (295 wattHours per mile) * 41.8kWh = 142 miles / EPA 113

*** Mercedes does some goofy BS with the economy meter... it's calibrated "from the wall", so 3.8 miles per kWh will show 3.2 on the dash

In my situation range isn't important, getting my wife to drive something other then our MS is the difficult part so it needs to "look cute" if she is to consider it (I already showed the Hamster commercial to my 9 year old duaghter & she loved it...planting the seed :wink:) I struggle with the safety ratings compared to the MS & honestly I don't want to spend a lot because its a temporary car & its going to be thrashed, so I am hoping for something like $2000 down & $300 x 36 months.

Last edited:
2015 KIA SOUL EV PRICING ANNOUNCED
Kia Prices 2015 Soul EV From $33,700)
The starting price of the boxy electric is $34,500 including destination charges, which approaches double the starting price of a conventional Soul at $15,900. But the price is actually cheaper than for some major competitors. Edmunds.com says a Ford Focus electric starts at $35,170 and a Honda Fit EV at $36,625.
But Kia, as other makers have done, is offering a downright cheap lease deal. The "expected" introductory lease price will be $249 a month for 36 months, with $1,999 due at signing, after the buyer forks over their $7,500 federal tax rebate.
The Soul will be one of the roomier EVs out on the market. Kia says it will be have an estimated range of 93 miles per charge,
Kia gives cheap lease deal to Soul EV
Kia Soul EV US Price, MPGe, Range Announced | CleanTechnica

What do you guys think?

Seems like a good price. But the Ford is getting $6k in manufacturer rebates. Thus pushing the base price to ~$30k. So this thing is a bit bigger, bit larger battery, seems to be a good price point.

We'll see how it drives and behaves and the interior is done before real judgment is passed.