Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Keeps Staying the Highway Passing Lane

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Resist

Mar 24, 2019
California
I thought a while back Tesla gave us an option in the settings to stop the car from staying in the passing lane on the highway? But now that is gone and the issue is back. My car constantly gets stuck in the passing lane and I have to initiate using the blinker to get it over into the cruising lane. It won't even get over when there are vehicles in front of it and the cruising lane is empty. Why is this so hard for Tesla to fix?! They should know it's illegal to stay in the passing lane.

I thought a while back Tesla gave us an option in the settings to stop the car from staying in the passing lane on the highway? But now that is gone and the issue is back. My car constantly gets stuck in the passing lane and I have to initiate using the blinker to get it over into the cruising lane. It won't even get over when there are vehicles in front of it and the cruising lane is empty. Why is this so hard for Tesla to fix?! They should know it's illegal to stay in the passing lane.
Yeah. I don't like this either. It doesn't like to stay on right lane even when there is NO traffic!! I leave mine on Chill (FSD) mode. It still does it sometimes but not as much.

It really needs to favor the right lane(s) but in my experience it tends to prefer the left passing lane even when not passing. This behavior happens to be illegal in most (all?) states in addition to being annoying to other drivers. I kept trying to get it to go back to the right lane(s) but it would eventually move itself back to the left lane again... even when there were no other cars on the road. Super annoying and illegal.

Reactions: Resist
Yep, maybe they'll read this forum and take this as positive feedback. My FSD expires today and I'm still on the fence whether to subscribe. It's certainly better than the reviews even with the left lane fault.

What are you calling the passing lane? Cruising lane? In California the only passing lanes I can think of are on steep grades where the road open up from one to two lanes for a mile or so. Don't know that it’s ever illegal to drive in the passing lane in California but you can be ticketed for holding up traffic in any lane.

If the car isn’t doing what you want, take manual control. You owe that to other drivers on the road.

What are you calling the passing lane? Cruising lane? In California the only passing lanes I can think of are on steep grades where the road open up from one to two lanes for a mile or so.

If the car isn’t doing what you want take manual control.
The left most lane in most states is for passing only. By law. Hence the term passing lane. Just another example of cars engineered by those who spend their whole lives in SoCal don't understand how the rest of the country lives and it displays in multiple areas of the final product shipped all over the country.

The left most lane in most states is for passing only. By law. Hence the term passing lane. Just another example of cars engineered by those who spend their whole lives in SoCal don't understand how the rest of the country lives and it displays in multiple areas of the final product shipped all over the country.
No, not in California.

Most of the highway driving I do the left most lane is the car pool or toll lane(s) On the open highway in CA (out of towns) there are no restrictions on driving in the number one lane assuming you’re a two axle vehicle and not pulling a trailer. Most states build highways to the CalTrans standard (Green Book) and the right lanes are thicker to support extra weight.

Last edited:
Which FSD profile settings are you using? Chill vs Average vs Assertive? Is Minimal Lane Changes enabled (you have to enable that at the start of every drive)? Trying to understand which settings are more likely to cause what you’re seeing.

What are you calling the passing lane? Cruising lane? In California the only passing lanes I can think of are on steep grades where the road open up from one to two lanes for a mile or so. Don't know that it’s ever illegal to drive in the passing lane in California but you can be ticketed for holding up traffic in any lane.
The farthest left lane is always the passing lane on a highway. The cruising lane is always the farthest right lane but can include the middle lanes, if the highway has more than two lanes. I live in California and it definitely is illegal to stay in the left lane unless passing, they just aren't enforcing it much.

Reactions: Bacalao
Which FSD profile settings are you using? Chill vs Average vs Assertive? Is Minimal Lane Changes enabled (you have to enable that at the start of every drive)? Trying to understand which settings are more likely to cause what you’re seeing.
I use Average but it then the follow distance is too far. I have used Minimal Lane Changes and yes I know it has to be enabled at the start of every drive, but I've noticed it will still move over to the passing lane (just not as much), even when no other vehicles are around. It shouldn't move into the passing lane unless passing slower vehicles while in the cruising lane.

No, not in California.

Most of the highway driving I do the left most lane is the car pool or toll lane(s) On the open highway in CA (out of towns) there are no restrictions on driving in the number one lane assuming you’re a two axle vehicle and not pulling a trailer. Most states build highways to the CalTrans standard (Green Book) and the right lanes are thicker to support extra weight.
I see this sign
1714449094379.png
to Vegas on I15 in CA. It’s not enforced but it’s correct to stay right and yield to faster traffic. I see plenty of drivers driving on left lane completely ignoring approaching faster vehicles. If someone is approaching you from behind, it means you’re slower regardless of your current speed. Move right to get out of the way.

I noticed that FSD did try to move right with approaching car but it did it slowly that I often had to take over.

I live in California and it definitely is illegal to stay in the left lane unless passing, they just aren't enforcing it much.

No, its not illegal to stay in the left lane in CA. Maybe in other states but not here. The left lane is not reserved for passing. However, if you are driving too SLOW in the left lane, you can get a ticket.

This article covers it, I believe. In short, at least in CA. Left lane = FAST lane, its not only for passing vehicles. If you are driving too slow, you are supposed to move over, which is not the same thing as "we only pass in this lane and everyone moves back over" like it is in some other states.

Reactions: fholbert
Just another example of cars engineered by those who spend their whole lives in SoCal don't understand how the rest of the country lives and it displays in multiple areas of the final product shipped all over the country.

That definitely seems to be a thing, sometimes anyway... even though I am sure there are people designing the product who are not natives to CA. It sometimes seems like they dont do much testing outside of CA, or at a minimum cater to CA due to sales volume here.

I live in California and it definitely is illegal to stay in the left lane unless passing, they just aren't enforcing it much.
I don’t think so. Been driving in SoCal for 52 years.

1714471002581.jpeg

The cruising lane is always the farthest right lane but can include the middle lanes, if the highway has more than two lanes. I
Unofficial, but I’ve always called the right lanes the Truck Lanes.

1714472035961.jpeg

I would open a service request and include the state law that stipulates that it is illegal to stay in the left lane after passing, by doing this it becomes a legal issue and Tesla will need to address the issue.

BTW. I am in Canada and don't use FSD so it is a none issue for me.

I use Average but it then the follow distance is too far. I have used Minimal Lane Changes and yes I know it has to be enabled at the start of every drive, but I've noticed it will still move over to the passing lane (just not as much), even when no other vehicles are around. It shouldn't move into the passing lane unless passing slower vehicles while in the cruising lane.
Navigate on Autopilot used to be pretty good (most of the time) about staying out of the passing lane, or moving out of that lane after passing a car (especially if another car was approaching from behind). I’ll be doing a road trip soon, my first with FSD v12, so it will be interesting to see how it behaves.

I find FSD useful for road trips. It was good on v11 and its better on v12. I have the same "issue" as others with it moving into the left most lane even when there is limited or no traffic in the right lanes. I set it to "minimal lane changes" every time i used FSD and that resolves my issue. I decide what lane to be in, i just signal when I want the car to change lanes and it performs the lane change while I supervise. That works for me.

Have you tried turning off Automatic Set Speed Offset, Chill FSDS Profile and Minimal Lane Changes for Current Drive? This car is set like that and I've not experienced the problem you're reporting.