Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just watched latest Munro video.... RWD -> AWD possible?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh, I just thought it was interesting that Tesla build the possibility in. There were some reports on the web after the AWD models came out that made it appear like this would be physically impossible.
Now it's just a matter of waiting for some adventurous YouTuber to attempt it.

Tesla has always been built very modular. You can relatively easily upgrade any Tesla to any existing configuration with enough parts and access to techs/Tesla what will help you. The 3 biggest challenges the cost of getting all the physical parts, labor to put it all in, and getting the car updated to the proper config. Typically buying the desired configuration is much cheaper, but what's the fun in that?

Oh, I just thought it was interesting that Tesla build the possibility in. There were some reports on the web after the AWD models came out that made it appear like this would be physically impossible.
Now it's just a matter of waiting for some adventurous YouTuber to attempt it.

The physical motor mount location is there... (because why wouldn't it be?)

Other parts aren't though.

https://epc.tesla.com/#/systemGroups/47333

For example RWD and AWD use a different penthouse wiring harness for the HV system- and it's a restricted part.

Also IIRC the actual motors are tied to the specific vehicle so you'd need significantly more computer access than the typical DIY person has too.

I think any noob could slam a motor in there & bolt everything together. But back on planet Earth, figuring out the wiring harness, software, & coolant loops would be a nightmare.

This car would be a dream come true if Tesla loaded the parts catalog + service manual + full configuration access into the car... I'd gladly pay ~$2K for that once it's out of warranty.

Once Tesla upgrades by RWD to Dual Motor, I would like Tesla to upgrade the body from a 3 to the Roadster. I am willing to pay as much as $3,400 for this.

And before anyone starts, I am aware the upgrade will not get me the 600 mile range nor the 1.9 sec 0-60, but other than that, I can't see any reason why this can't be done. Just think of all the extra income Tesla can make from this!!!

If the Y still had that same bolt I would guess the probability of Tesla offering an AWD add-on would be more likely, but since it's removed now the odds are slim. Also isn't Munro's Model 3 a very early model? New Model 3s might not even have that bolt now either.

Perhaps combine RWD to AWD and HW 2.5 to HW 3 conversion in one ultimate upgrade project? It would be fun to see someone with unlimited funds try this for the hell of it. Otherwise it would be best to get a new car. Perhaps that Rich guy that rebuilds Tesla cars will do something like that.

I'm sure there are plenty of totaled performance or AWD cars out there for wiring harnesses etc.

Once Tesla upgrades by RWD to Dual Motor, I would like Tesla to upgrade the body from a 3 to the Roadster. I am willing to pay as much as $3,400 for this.

And before anyone starts, I am aware the upgrade will not get me the 600 mile range nor the 1.9 sec 0-60, but other than that, I can't see any reason why this can't be done. Just think of all the extra income Tesla can make from this!!!

You actually can, but it will cost much more than $3,400. Roadster wont get 1.9 0-60, unless you can also retrofit a 2020 Roadster into Roadster body, short version, you will basically toss out most of your old car, some of the screws are reusable, clips, and some other parts. You will need to pretty much get all your parts from scraped Roadster. But I don't know why you want to start from Model 3?

Has this Munro guy ever been able to explain what's wrong with the design of the Model 3 that road and wind noise so loud in the cabin compared to other cars? Hint: No it's not because there isn't an ICE engine drowning out all of that other noise.