Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just Question from a New Owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Beta V

Author, Dad, Mentor, Technology Critic
Nov 8, 2017
Redmond, WA USA
I finally picked up my new Model X 75D. Due to a misunderstanding, I had not set up my spouse as a secondary owner, but once this was discovered, the Bellevue, Washington dealer (off NE 20th) quickly resolved the problem and I was able to get possession this morning.

Of course, even after the orientation, I have a hundred questions but I hope to iron these issues out in the next few days by re-reading the owner's manual and making a few calls back to the dealer. A few are still nagging:

I force-installed the new update but I don't know how to tell if it took or what it changed. The "calendar" icon at the top of the screen is no longer visible.

I assume I can get the mirrors to park automatically as it enters the garage--it's a tight fit but I don't know how.

I saw the dealer demo the current use graph in the small right window. I don't see how to customize that window.

Suggestions?

William Vaughn
Author, Dad, Grandpa
Redmond, WA

William,
Congratulations!
1. You can check the current firmware version by pressing the "T" at the top of the screen. The firmware version will show at the bottom of the popup window. You can also select "release notes" to read them.
2. No, the mirrors won't autofold on garage entry. But you can press the center mirror button on the driver's door to fold them when you arrive home.
3. To select the dashboard views, press and hold either the left or right scroll wheel on the steering wheel. When the menu comes up, scroll the wheel up or down to select the view you want on that side.

Reactions: McManX
Thanks!
I ended up searching the owner's manual PDF on my laptop. While I found it in the car, I didn't find a way to search the contents.
I do have the 8.1 software. While the dealership implied this was the much-anticipated Nav update, it does not seem to be--at least not yet.

I really love the ability to refine/improve/fix features and add new ones online. I worked for over 40 years in the software industry and always appreciated this feature. It was a major reason to migrate from my Lexus 450H.

Reactions: hiroshiy
While the dealership implied this was the much-anticipated Nav update, it does not seem to be--at least not yet.
William, you are correct. There has been no nav upgrade in any recent update. The recent updates added Chill mode, easy entry, and continued with AP2 upgrades (I believe... I have an AP1 car).
You can't learn everything everything about this fine machine overnight, so don't get frustrated! Even after 16 months, I still dig into the manual...and I read it cover to cover 3 times while waiting for delivery.
Enjoy your new ride!

William,
Congratulations!
2. No, the mirrors won't autofold on garage entry. But you can press the center mirror button on the driver's door to fold them when you arrive home.

If you use summon-autopark, the mirrors will fold and the car will park automatically.

summon-autopark = line the car up with the garage/spot double-tap the park button on the stalk and select "forward" or "backwards" depending on how you are parking, then exit the vehicle and step away and the car will park itself with mirrors folded.

Summon from the app or key fob and it will do the opposite and exit the garage and close it back, but use your discretion should your garage entry be on the street or anywhere else obstructions lie.

Keep in mind these caveats:
  1. You can adjust whether you want the summon-autopark to control your garage door so that it opens and closes the door once its done parking in the summon settings. You would of course need to disable your auto-open homelink on approach feature for best results.
  2. You can also adjust the summon settings to allow for "tight" spaces but thats a minimum of 8inch clearance from the bumpers.
  3. If your "tight" garage/spot requires you to get closer than 8 inches from the front or rear bumper then it will not work.