Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Japan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Hiroshi,

I am fine with the left hand as that is the way I drive at my home country, but wife is the one driving the Model S so it has to be right hand.

If you saw a black roadster at Shiroyama trust tower charging, it should be me as I work in Ark hills.

@penpen: nice fit for the Model S in your parking. Yes left hand drive also bothers me a little bit, and while my wife doesn't drive she is worried about safety. But I'm looking forward to getting one sooner I may get LHD.

BTW I encountered a black Roadstar (not sure it was Obsidian or Jet) at one of the underground parking at Toranomon yesterday. It's so cool! It was connected to HPC. Was that yours? :)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

@penpen: Understood. Oh, then the Roadster I saw on that day was yours! I parked my ICE car at Shiroyama Trust Tower that time. So it was Obsidian - I should have looked the car more carefully as I haven't seen that color yet... Very cool!

Just curious, why do you park at Shiroyama Trust instead of Ark Hills (I guess Sengokuyama?)? Is Mori-building not favor of EVs? :)

Most of the Mori Trust buildings have HPCs installed (Shiroyama, Toranomon, Shinagawa, Tokyo, etc) but Mori Building ones not at all. When I worked at Roppongi Hills I only saw Level 2 charger exclusively for the ugly Mini EVs that BMW pays for. Same family but different mindsets ;)

@penpen: Understood. Oh, then the Roadster I saw on that day was yours! I parked my ICE car at Shiroyama Trust Tower that time. So it was Obsidian - I should have looked the car more carefully as I haven't seen that color yet... Very cool!

Just curious, why do you park at Shiroyama Trust instead of Ark Hills (I guess Sengokuyama?)? Is Mori-building not favor of EVs? :)

Hello,

I'm living in Tokyo and considering getting a Model S. My purpose wouldn't be to commute to work -- instead, I am interested in things like,

- Night/weekend driving to department stores, malls, grocery stores with underground parking, etc.
- Road trips to visit family

My apartment's parking spot is well over 200cm, so no worries there, but. . . Does anyone know how likely it is to get turned away from public parking areas due to width?

Also, if I wanted to drive all the way to Hiroshima (~811km), are the CHAdeMO locations along the highway plausible for stops? How long would a recharge stop tantamount to an ICE vehicle's refuel stop take?

I'd really like to get a Tesla but there are so many things working against it here for the time being. :/

Also I posted something here yesterday and it never appeared in the thread :(

Hi, fturtle, welcome to the forum!

I think in mechanical parkings you will need 205cm mirror to mirror. The problem is actually not the mirrors, but tire to tire width being more than 4cm wider than Merc S class. I strongly recommend you test drive Model S to your house. I guess you already own a similar sized car before - then if you choose 19inch you'll be OK; 21inch will ONLY fit in the most modern parking systems you can find at Roppongi Hills, Maru buildings and AO building, etc.

Here's my condo's parking with my current ICE car, similar sized as MercS class.
Does it fit in the garage? - Page 3
I tried Model S 19inch and it barely fit with 1cm left on each sides. 21inch didn't fit. The parking allows 205cm 5.3m and 2300kg.

For CHAdeMO stations, you'll be fine up to Hiroshima after 7/31 this year as Nishinihon Highway KK will launch them for you!
Åŵ¤¼«Æ°¼ÖµÞ®½¼ÅÅÀßÈ÷¤Î¥µ¡¼¥Ó¥¹³«»Ï¤Ë¤Ä¤¤¤Æ¡ÃNEXCO À¾ÆüËÜ

From Tokyo up (or down...) to Biwako Lake, you're fully covered.
Charging times for Model S from empty to full 85kWh battery would be 1.5 to 2 hours. So you drive 4 hours and take 1.5 hours break essentially.

Where do you have a plan to charge weekly?

Hi hiroshiy,

Thank you for the information and pictures!

My parking space at home allows for 240cm mirror to mirror, and 218cm tire to tire. It's not mechanized and there is nothing physical in the way of the tires: just lines of white paint and hopes that neighbors don't park too close :)

I haven't owned a car in Japan before--actually I just transferred my US license to a Japanese license a couple weeks ago. The last car I owned in the US was a MINI, so it was pretty small. In fact I've never owned a 4-door car (or sedan) before: only hatchbacks & a coupe.

I think a test drive to my place is definitely a good idea: the streets around it are very narrow! On the other hand, I've seen some pretty wide cars in my area, including a fairly large Aston Martin & an old-ish Bentley that have to thread through the same streets that I would.

I hear you about the issues with public parking & 21" wheels. If I chose the 19" wheels, do you imagine there would be a lot of issues parking at public places? It would be a bummer to be turned away by staff members at more than 50% of the places I try to park.

Seems like a good business opportunity: research width/height/weight restrictions of all public parking areas and sell data to GPS manufacturers, so that cars can filter and point drivers only to viable parking.

I'm not really sure where I would charge it weekly. That is a very important thing to think about as I most likely will *not* be able to charge at home.. I realize that it's very dangerous to let a Tesla (or any lithium ion) battery discharge completely, so I would definitely need a place to charge at least once per week. Do you know if the CHAdeMO stations around Tokyo would be good options for that? I would be okay with letting the car sit somewhere for a couple hours per week to rapid charge. No problem at all if there are public places available consistently (assuming I'd still be spending less than I would with gasoline).

Though I don't really plan to drive to work every day, it seems there is at least one CHAdeMO place in Roppongi 1-chome, which is where I work. Perhaps I would drive to work once per week to charge or something.

H, fturtle,
Great to hear you have a flat parking! If Astons and Bentleys go thru the streets there will be no problem at all I guess.
If you choose 19, then you can park those largest mechanical parkings, in addition to the latest automated parkings and of course flat parkings, so depending on where you go, you'll be fine. I guess you do mostly going to cafes, restarrants, shoppings and movies, then 21inch will be OK too. Smaller buildings are anyway not capable of any cars wider than 185cm and heavier than 2000kg. I would say 50% accepted in metro Tokyo with 19 inch, but it's enough I think...
To find out whether you can park Model S or not, ask if they take Merc S class cars. If the answer is yes, it is very possible you can park Model S with 19. A bit wider than Merc S, be careful not to rash the rims. :)

For quick charging, I guess you will end up driving your car to the office or nearby charger once a week. As you might already know chargers are typically in timed oarking lots so you might want to find a flat rate parking with a charger.
The charging station you mentioned seems to be here:
æ±äº¬éƒ½æ¸¯åŒºå…­æœ¬æœ¨1 (公財)æ±äº¬éƒ½é“路整備ä¿å…¨å…¬ç¤¾ 六本木é§è»Šå ´(高速都心環状線高架下)ã®é›»æ°—自動車充電スタンド情報 - GoGoEV

I haven't been there but it's located at a nice place plus liw rate of 100yen/12 minutes flat 3000yen, you'd better get there early and if it's ICEed, move on to 3-chome... There are some nice hotels such as Westin at Ebisu and Cerulean Tower at Shibuya with CHAdeMO, so you could have a nice tea break or dinner there!

Seen at the Hawthorne supercharger today

eqe2a2em.jpg

e3eqebeg.jpg

u6etezem.jpg

Do you have a higher quality image, Kipernicus? Educated guesses below...

5YJSA2DPXDFS18902

• Standard Vehicle Price
  • Performance Plus with Air Suspension
  • 85 kWh Battery
  • White Paint
  • Body Color Roof
  • Fog Lamps
  • Extended Nappa Leather Trim
  • Premium Interior Lighting
  • Parking Sensors
  • Alcantara Headliner
  • 19" Aero Wheels
  • Piano Black Interior Decor Accents
  • Tech Package
  • Ultra High Fidelity Sound Package
  • Rear Facing Seats
  • Parcel Shelf
  • Supercharging
  • TWin Chargers
  • Carbon Fiber Spoiler
  • _ _
  • Subzero Weather Package
  • Destination and Regulatory Doc Fee

Do you have a higher quality image, Kipernicus? Educated guesses below...

Here's a full res version. I didn't know Tapatalk would make it so small. The bit you were missing was Yacht Floor.
The other interesting thing is the window sticker listed 19" Aero wheels but it actually had 21's.
All in all a mysterious car, esp that EU charge port while the sticker on the 17" screen says Japan.

20130822_140840.jpg
20130822_133306.jpg