Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PV + PW in Japan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You will most likely need optomizers (which are a lot more basic than micro inverters), as they also generally double as quick shutdown devices. The solar installer we worked with used to use a lot of LG panels, but they exited the market, and now most of their systems use sunpower panels that have a built in inverter and use an AC interconnect. The panels have a 25 year warranty including the built in inverter. I don't really like it myself, but I can see some elegance to the system too.

I don't know too much about electrical codes in Japan, but in the US the quick shutdown devices are now required.

I do know most electrical power in Japan is similar to US electrical, as I have dealt a lot with Data Center power situations in Japan.

-Harry
Harry, I don’t see anything like that in the preliminary proposal, and not sure about specific local regulations, which my guy is investigating now. After seeing some of the unit prices, plus additional installation charges, I’m not sure how much I want another part that could easily bump things up several thousand dollars. If it comes down to being optional, it will take some good data to convince me of the necessity. Japan does tend to regulate a LOT, so would not be surprised to find some sort of rapid shutdown in the system.

Thanks for the heads up! I have a lot to learn before I commit … but probably have time, as August is a slow month to get anything done, lol. Not that I blame anyone … yesterday I climbed up the roof midday to get exact measurements, and it was 100F+ air temp, and the roof panels were burning hot!

Cheers, Randy